setting up a TRUST just in case

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

setting up a TRUST just in case

Postby goda0301 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:18 am

piggy-backing on the SBR post i didnt want to hijack it, someone posted the NY times article on setting up trust in order to get around the AWB, my question as stupid as it maybe, is that really possible?? let say for schits and jiggles they pass everything they want... could one then set up a trust to get around the law or would this trust have to be set up b4 any law goes into affect? i only ask because class III weapons are banned in MN but you can still get them through the proper steps etc... is there anyone out there currently has a trust that includes every firearm they currently own??? thats what the NY times article was hinting at.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/us/in ... ml?hp&_r=0

ur thoughts?
goda0301

Re: setting up a TRUST just in case

Postby xd ED on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:24 am

Trusts are pretty common- for all sorts of things, including estate planning.

They are not a way around the law. I don't believe any weapon otherwise illegal could be owned by a trust.
If/ when I build an SBR, it will go into a trust.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Hmac on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:40 am

goda0301 wrote:piggy-backing on the SBR post i didnt want to hijack it, someone posted the NY times article on setting up trust in order to get around the AWB, my question as stupid as it maybe, is that really possible?? let say for schits and jiggles they pass everything they want... could one then set up a trust to get around the law or would this trust have to be set up b4 any law goes into affect? i only ask because class III weapons are banned in MN but you can still get them through the proper steps etc... is there anyone out there currently has a trust that includes every firearm they currently own??? thats what the NY times article was hinting at.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/us/in ... ml?hp&_r=0

ur thoughts?

The main advantage of a firearms trust, as I see it, is that a) any trustee can use the firearms, not just you b) if you die, the trust still owns the firearm thereby avoiding the need to do a Form 4 transfer and pay another $200 for your family to inherit the firearm c) currently avoids the need for CLEO signoff and fingerprinting.

It won't, in any way, get you around any Federal or State laws or weapon bans.
Hmac

Postby hoel6466 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 am

I didn't read the article but I think I know where you are going with this. I was wondering about this as well. The proposed ban would make you register your weapons and then prevent you from transfering them after that point. If you had a trust the firearms would never need to be transferred just a change or addition of the trust members?
hoel6466

Postby Hmac on Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:30 pm

hoel6466 wrote:I didn't read the article but I think I know where you are going with this. I was wondering about this as well. The proposed ban would make you register your weapons and then prevent you from transfering them after that point. If you had a trust the firearms would never need to be transferred just a change or addition of the trust members?

I see that as the biggest reason that I might consider a trust.
Hmac

Postby goda0301 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:15 pm

SSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH we dont need this info getting out. hahaha
goda0301

Postby AutomaticAron on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:42 pm

Hmmm... I may need to look further into this myself.
"The best tactical add-on is 10,000 rounds of practice ammo" -Hickok45
AutomaticAron

Postby bothwell on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:56 pm

I was thinking that if all the Scary Boneheaded Rules got passed, and I was forced to register my Garand, I might officially give it to my son a few years earlier than planned.
bothwell

Return to Long Guns