SBR: Thanks to Kollector03!

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: SBR: Thanks to Kollector03!

Postby smokintone on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:30 am

Hmac wrote:Hmmm...your rifle looks familiar. ;)

I built this one a few years ago.

However, I elected to join the tubular rail/keymod craze and switched the forearm over to an NSR9 yesterday. I'm going to take it over to Fleet Farm and re-zero it today. Gotta double up on earplugs. The BattleComp does have some blast indoors.

Damn! Nice looking sticks! Love the Noveske lowers.
smokintone

Postby kollector03 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:48 am

NICE SBR you built there. The paperwork is a PITA, but they are well worth the hassel. Fun fun fun and a real eye opener at the range.

Careful now because they tend to multiply rapidly.

Well done. :)

smokintone wrote:Kollector03 helped me with getting my first SBR. Thanks you sir! :D

It took about 6 months, and I feel was worth the wait. Here are a couple picss

[imghttp://imageshack.us/a/img20/9567/sbrd.jpg][/img]
kollector03

Postby Fast351 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 pm

You guys go the trust route or have the CLEO sign it off? I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have any problems here, but I am curious...
Fast351

Postby Hmac on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:40 pm

Fast351 wrote:You guys go the trust route or have the CLEO sign it off? I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have any problems here, but I am curious...

Personally, I have gone the individual route. My Sheriff is happy to sign off, the fingerprinting is easy and cheap. IMHO, trusts do have some advantages but there are many at the various regulatory agencies that view trusts as a "loophole" and there are efforts afoot federally and in some states to tinker with the entire trust process. Recently introduced legislation in Colorado, for example, will definitely put a crimp in the whole firearms trust process if the bill is passed.
Hmac

Postby rukwikenuf on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:37 am

looks good! i'm waiting on a stamp for mine, also had some help from the fellas at Atomic, as well as some help from FJ540. however, i'm doing mine on the CHEAP! blem Palmetto lower i had, blem spikes upper i had, DPMS freefloat tube that i cut to size, DPMS bbl that i cut to size (at FJ's, with his assistance. thanks again Jim)
so far i'm into it for about $600 i figure. add another $50 or so when the stamp comes for a MOE stock.

the next one will be fancy, with matching billet recievers, a nice stainless bbl (probably fluted or dimpled) with a NSR handguard probably, geiselle trigger, UBR buttstock, and a 1-4 optic (probably the Vortex Viper PST).

in the mean time, since that all costs money that i don't have, i'll continue to play around with my 10" AR Pistol :)
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby Hmac on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:58 am

That will be a nice rifle.

Personally, I'm not a billet fan. More money, generally heavier, and at least some relatively common AR15 accessories won't fit on them. I'm no metallurgist, but I am told that the lack of stress relieving that's inherent to the forging process can create some strength issues in billet receivers, usually accomodated by the piece being thicker, therefore heavier.
Hmac

Postby rukwikenuf on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Hmac wrote:That will be a nice rifle.

Personally, I'm not a billet fan. More money, generally heavier, and at least some relatively common AR15 accessories won't fit on them. I'm no metallurgist, but I am told that the lack of stress relieving that's inherent to the forging process can create some strength issues in billet receivers, usually accomodated by the piece being thicker, therefore heavier.

i don't think they are HEAVIER, maybe by an ounce or two. i just want to do one up that's NICE. my current one (that i'm still waiting for a stamp on) is a POS. that's the intention. something that i can beat around, throw in the trunk, rattle can every month or so, and generally abuse. it'll be like my truck, not pretty, not highly valued, but very utilitarian and used! like a hammer.

the nice one, well, if it happens, it'll either have to be on a Form 1 or it'll have a 14.5" bbl with a welded FH. i don't want to spend that much money (i realize it'll be a lot) on a gun that i can't easily sell (if it has my trust engraved on it)
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Postby rukwikenuf on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:08 pm

[quote="smokintone"][/quote]
what's the bbl length on your fine build? almost looks like a 12"? less? it really does look great. i hope it functions as well as it looks!

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

Previous

Return to Long Guns