AR Optics

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AR Optics

Postby TooFewGuns on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:41 pm

I have had my Eotech for a long time now and I was thinking about throwing it on a different gun and going for more of a medium range all around optic. Should I stay with Eotech and just get a magnifier or is there a better option? I am not looking to go up to an ACOG, but I am willing to put out a little money with it being tax refund season and all.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Re: AR Optics

Postby grousemaster on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:43 pm

TooFewGuns wrote:I have had my Eotech for a long time now and I was thinking about throwing it on a different gun and going for more of a medium range all around optic. Should I stay with Eotech and just get a magnifier or is there a better option? I am not looking to go up to an ACOG, but I am willing to put out a little money with it being tax refund season and all.

Aimpoint PRo. No reason to buy an eotech anymore unless you jut have to have that reticle
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Scratch on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:47 pm

Aimpoint pro still has no magnification though... I'm considering a magnifier also.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Dave Timm on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Right now I still love my Trijicon TR24 1-4 optic. On 1x its Aimpoint fast but has the magnification. Vortex also makes a very nice 1-4. There are also some really nice 1-6 scopes too but more money of course.

Do you have a budget?
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
Timm Arms Co.
Firearms and NFA Sales & Transfers, Gunsmith & Armorer Services
http://www.timmarms.com
Dave Timm

Postby shooter115 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:17 pm

I would recommend the Burris MTAC 1-4X. At $400, IMHO it's one of the best low power variables you can get without going over $1K.
shooter115

Postby gman1868 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:43 pm

For a magnified scope the best I've found for the money is the Weaver Tactical 800364, 1-5 x 24, Illuminated, CIRT reticle. They are in the $600 price range.

For a non-magnified scope I would recommend an Aimpoint T-1 with 2MOA dot. Small, light, durable, good (for me) out to 200 yards. I love mine :)
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby Northfield 556 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:14 am

I own a little bit of everything. I say, save your pennies and get the ACOG that you really want. You can not beat the glass quality that comes with an even, "battle tested" ACOG. My most beat down, combat veteran ACOG, is actually my favorite.
Northfield 556

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:22 am

gman1868 wrote:For a magnified scope the best I've found for the money is the Weaver Tactical 800364, 1-5 x 24, Illuminated, CIRT reticle. They are in the $600 price range.

For a non-magnified scope I would recommend an Aimpoint T-1 with 2MOA dot. Small, light, durable, good (for me) out to 200 yards. I love mine :)

Different scope & reticle, but for less than $300 perhaps an option?

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... =tpSlrByr2

Product Number:
WE800702

Item Price:
$279.95

Availability:
In Stock

Shipping Weight:
1.58 lbs.

The Extreme’s one-piece, 30mm tubes combined with Weaver's legendary fully multi-coated optics deliver the image quality you need at those times when other scopes cease to perform. Precision machining and dry nitrogen purging guarantee years of rugged service and protection from the environment. Free-wheel re-settable w/e dials, fast-focus eyepieces, side-focus parallax adjustments*, illuminated center-dot reticles, and 4 inches of eye relief deliver the edge you need to make that shot-of-a-lifetime under any condition.

SPECIFICATIONS:
•30mm tube
•Exit Pupil: 16 - 5.3mm
•FOV @ 100 yds: 65.6 - 22.2 ft.
•Eye Relief: 4"
•Overall Length: 9.7"
•Weight: 15.6 oz
•Finish: Matte
•Reticle: Illuminated Dual-X

yuppiejr

Postby Hmac on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:23 am

Not sure what you mean by medium distance, but if we're talking about 50-150 yards IMHO no point in going from one non-magnified RDS to another. The Aimpoint PRO is a great optic and is my preference for an RDS (cost effectiveness) but relative to actual shooting offers no significant advantage over your Eotech (IMHO) and maybe less effective as a distance optic given its 2 MOA dot compared to the Eotech's 1MOA.

A magnifier is a reasonable option...I have an Eotech G23FTS that I switch between between my rifles with Eotechs or Aimpoints (magnifiers work better with Eotechs IMHO due to the smaller dot), but most of the shooting I do is 50 yards or less so I don't mount the thing very often. I gotta go along with Dave, though. The Trijicon TR24 he has on his Huldra is a very effective optic and IMHO would be excellent at medium range. If I had a rifle that I was going to use a lot for shooting at that distance, I'd save up the extra money and get that one.
Hmac

Postby TooFewGuns on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:01 pm

That TR 24 is nice. What am I looking at for price? I saw that Trijicon has it listed for just over a thousand. Dave, the budget is what I can get away with when my wife is not paying attention. What color reticle do you guys think shows up the best in daylight?
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Postby johnlewjohn on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:09 pm

Depending on your budget, a US Optics SN-4 or SN-4s is the only way to go.
$1000- $1500 used to new.
1-4 power, your choice of reticle, and color illumination.
Nearly indestructable and second only to a S&B in glass quality, and that is a topic for debate...in my opinion.
Only drawback is that it does add a little weight to the rifle, but then again, what doesnt?
Sledge Hammer: You've never played target practice?

Soviet Scientist: In Russia, we practice by shooting dissidents.

Sledge Hammer: Here we call them liberals.
johnlewjohn

Postby mecra on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 am

Just to your concept of a magnifier, I have a EXPS + G33 and it's a good combo. The slap to side mechanic on the G33 is really nice and solid and thus it allows for mag and for unmag when you want it. Although it comes come at a heavy price point and weight when combined with the EO.

The only thing I had issue was finding the best position for my eye. I think the relief is 2.3" so I have it as far back on the gun as I can. The glass is very clear, and like I said, the slap to side is really nice.

mecra

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:26 am

What about the Millett DMS - 1-4x? Doesn't have the sexy brand name but as a functional red-dot optic (1 MOA dot) that also has 1-4x magnification it seems like a good fit based on your requirements per the disucssion above:

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... c=exrbSrch

Product Number: MIBK81002
Item Price: $199.95
Availability: In Stock
Shipping Weight: 2.17 lbs.

The Designated Marksman Scope, by Millett. 5 to 500 yards, down on the spot. The best of riflescope-type optics and red dots meet in this compact, extremely versatile and rugged design for close quarters to mid-range combat. Its specialized reticle allows you to switch from precision shot placement to rapid target acquisition in less than a heartbeat.

FEATURES:

•18 MOA donut for rapid target acquisition at ranges as close as 3 meters
•Illuminated dot reticle allows you to see your target clearly in low-light conditions
•1 MOA dot for optimum medium- to extended-range precision out to 500 yards

SPECIFICATIONS:

•Magnification: 1-4x
•Objective Diameter: 24mm
•FOV @ 100 yards: 23’ @4x and 90’ @1x
•Eye Relief: 3.5”
•Tube Diameter: 30mm
•Optics: Fully Coated
•Reticle: Donut-Dot
•Finish: Matte
yuppiejr

Postby TooFewGuns on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:14 pm

Yuppie,

Do you have the DM? Any idea about how tough it is or the quality of the glass?
TooFewGuns

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Honestly I don't shoot 3-gun and prefer iron sights on my AR, scopes on my non-brushie hunting rifles... That said when I was fiddling with optics on my AR in various configurations I liked the versatility of the Millett, it's half the price of even the comparably budget (in this lineup) Aimpoint Pro but has adequate optical quality, a useful reticle and less mechanical complexity than a separate magnifier/red-dot. Battery life isn't sexy, lacks target turrets and the glass is decent... not top of the line but it held up to field abuses and I can see it being a good choice for someone looking to test the waters without a large cash outlay or to equip a coyote/entry level 3-gun rig. It is a well thought out solution to balance the needs of QCB and intermediate range optics on an AR without doubling the price of your rifle (I do like it better than the similarly priced Vortex or Lucid red-dots with their screw-in magnifiers). They had some early pains with the designs but it's a mature platform and current retail stock should be free of the oddball issues that cropped up in ver 1.
yuppiejr

Next

Return to Long Guns