Shotgun needs rebluing

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Shotgun needs rebluing

Postby Nokomis on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Yesterday I picked up a used 870 Wingmaster. I got a decent deal on it due to it having a "glossy black refinish" which amounted to an awful coat of duracoat or other epoxy on all the steel parts. The stuff was on so thick that the barrel wouldn't fit in the receiver properly.

I spent the morning taking the finish off (luckily there was no rust underneath) and now it needs to be reblued. I've got a couple options and was wondering if anyone could impart some advice.

There's this stuff: http://www.bluewonder.us/BlueWonderGunBlue.html
Assuming I prep the gun sufficiently it should turn out okay, right? This is my ideal route but wanted to know if anyone had experience with these "cold blue" kits.

The other option is to have it reblued professionally. Anyone know of a place that does a good job in the metro? Can it be done for less than $150? If I were to bring it in, would it make a difference to them if it's in its current state(bare steel, no finish) versus it having a botched blue job from me trying to do it myself?

Thank you for your help
Nokomis

Re: Shotgun needs rebluing

Postby darthdahl on Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:07 pm

It looks like Alhmans can do it for close to that...

http://www.ahlmans.com/metalfinishing.html
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
All-Around Good Guy
darthdahl

Postby Sammichman on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Might try GS Gunsmithing in Ramsey,,,I have used Scott on a couple occasions,,and while I can,t comment on his Blueing the other work he did for me was First Class and Done in a Timely Fashion
Sammichman

Postby bensdad on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:16 pm

I cold-blued an entire Ithica 37 for a friend once. Not as easy as it looks. Very difficult to create an even quality. Seems like no matter what you do, some parts get darker than others. Unless the gun will be a beater, I'd recommend against it. Ahlman's is a great place, but their turnaround time can be rediculous.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby The Verminator on Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Really not worth the trouble or expense for an 870, especially one of the new types. Maybe if it was a cherished Winchester Model 12 owned by the family for years or something.
The Verminator

Postby Nokomis on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:07 pm

The Verminator wrote:Really not worth the trouble or expense for an 870, especially one of the new types. Maybe if it was a cherished Winchester Model 12 owned by the family for years or something.

That's what I'm learning, but after I made the purchase it was either A)have a nonfunctional gun or B)get the stuff off of it. I definitely should have inspected it closer before purchasing. At the time the barrel was seperated and the action worked fine. It would have never occurred to me in a million years that there would be tolerance issues due to the finish. Ahhh the beauty of armslist.

Besides being bare steel, the gun looks perfect and I'd love to use/keep it. To do so it needs to be reblued. I'm going to give Ahlmans and GS a call (thanks for the recommendations).

Yeah it sucks dumping close to $500 into a Wingmaster but you live and you learn I guess. To help justify that kind of price I'll just have to get plenty of use out of it and find consolation in the fact it was reserected from Duracoat hell.
Last edited by Nokomis on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nokomis

Postby The Verminator on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:18 pm

I've seen guns with worn-out bluing used for many, many years without problems as long as they got a wipe down with oil once in a while.

They look like veterans. Ain't a bad look.
The Verminator

Postby westhope on Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:34 pm

I've used Ahlman's to re-blue 3 guns. All of them were excellent jobs. The color was even. They polished out the few pits that were there. They wanted fully assembled guns so they know all the parts are there.

They use a Hot Blue process. They do it once a month. So if you miss the date they blue, your gun may just sit until the next month. Count on at least 3 months to get your gun back.

Most re-blue jobs DO NOT increase the value of a gun. You probably will have more money into the gun than you can get for it. I only re-blued my guns because they were my father's and wanted to restore them for him. I have them now. They will be passed on to my father's grandsons.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Nokomis on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:49 pm

The Verminator wrote:I've seen guns with worn-out bluing used for many, many years without problems as long as they got a wipe down with oil once in a while.

They look like veterans. Ain't a bad look.

I agree and think that the bare steel looks better than blued but I can't risk it rusting away. The guy who had it before more must have removed the blue before he duracoated it because this is how it looks after applying a couple coats of paint thinner. No blue to speak of.

IMG_0782 (533x800).jpg
Nokomis

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:46 pm

I can echo what others have said about Alhmans. They do some great hot bluing that would do what you are looking for, however in this case I would suggest you look into a duracoat or cerakote type job, would protect it like you want, likely could get done fairly quickly localy and for this type of gun would be a much more durable finish.
Holland&Holland

Postby JJ on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:49 pm

If it came off with paint thinner it isn't duracoat. I would be willing to bet he went with good ol rattle can.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Nokomis on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:27 pm

JJ wrote:If it came off with paint thinner it isn't duracoat. I would be willing to bet he went with good ol rattle can.

I mistyped, I used a paint stripper/remover gel that works on epoxies. Still, it could very well have been normal paint that was used.

Thanks for the help everyone. You saved me time, $, and disappointment in trying to do it myself. I'm going to drop it off at GS Gunsmithing tomorrow(a lot closer and sounds like a little bit better turnaround time). I'll post a picture of the finished product and thanks again!
Nokomis

Postby Rusty on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Do you mind me asking what they quoted for price and turnaround time.
Rusty

Postby The Verminator on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Well, I'd have used it as is for a couple years and see how it held up.

But, I suppose it will be purtier in blue.
The Verminator

Postby minnhawk on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:26 am

There's a place outside of Kansas city that has been in business at the same location since 1947 - Simmons. They redid my great grandfathers Damascus rolled steel Henry 12 gauge. It was orange from rust from sitting up in the floor joists of our basement for over 30 years. They are nationally known for restoration.

http://www.simmonsguns.com/site/service ... k-blueing/
Eleven-Bravo, 1/4 INF, 3ID
minnhawk

Next

Return to Long Guns