Places to fire a rifle...

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Places to fire a rifle...

Postby jgalt on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:10 am

I've got a new rifle (larger caliber than a .22lr...) that I'd like to put a couple hundred rounds through some time in the next 2-3 weeks. I'm familiar with the Oakdale Gun Club, but where else can I go to shoot this gun?

I'd prefer to be able to go during the week, probably on a Friday, as that is when my wife is able to take the time as well, and a big part of the reason for going is to determine whether or not we "need" a 2nd one for her. (Or more likely, whether or not she decides to 'claim' this one and I need to get a 2nd one for myself!)

We live on the east side of St. Paul, about 10 blocks due south of Lake Phalen (just as a point of reference). We're willing to drive a ways, but we're not going to go much more than an hour. We don't need to have anything longer than 100 yards, and 25 yards or less might actually be ideal, since we basically want to 'function test' it and get a good feel for how it fires, i.e. felt recoil, muzzle blast / rise, how easy / difficult it is to stay on target for follow-up shots, etc. It is just iron sights, so long ranges would be frustrating-to-useless anyway...

What I really want to know is where we can go during the week without needing a membership, or needing to have a member with us? If the best options all require a member to be with us, we'll gladly avail ourselves of anyone who wants to volunteer - your 'compensation' will consist of being able to take a bunch of shots with us... :D

I appreciate the info!
jgalt

Re: Places to fire a rifle...

Postby westberg on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:28 am

Here is a list of local ranges, viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7, this time of the year it is difficult to be inside but if you only need 25yds you could go to Bill's. I believe Pat Cannon put together a google map of the range locations.
Good luck with the new rifle.
westberg

Postby jgalt on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:31 am

westberg wrote:Here is a list of local ranges, viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7, this time of the year it is difficult to be inside but if you only need 25yds you could go to Bill's. I believe Pat Cannon put together a google map of the range locations.
Good luck with the new rifle.

Thank you very much - I hadn't seen that list of local places to shoot before. I have seen Pat's google map though and I like it a lot!

I guess I am being a bit lazy, trying to solicit specific info without having to search through various websites. But, if no one wishes to be an enabler of my laziness, I at least have a list of sites to work from now... Thanks!
jgalt

Postby David on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:55 am

Bill's North goes out to 50 yards, but as Westberg said, shooting indoors can be a lot less fun. Good luck!
David

Postby 1911fan on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:11 pm

If you and or the mrs decide you want to try some other long guns, let me know, I have some choices to try before buying
1911fan

Postby jgalt on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:08 pm

1911fan wrote:If you and or the mrs decide you want to try some other long guns, let me know, I have some choices to try before buying

I appreciate the offer, and may well take you up on it. But for now, we both need to fire the one we've got. The next one (assuming there is a 'next one') will be somewhere between "substantially similar" and "essentially the same" as the one we just got, but we need to figure out what we like & don't like about this one to know what to do with for the next one.
jgalt

Return to Long Guns