A comp and defense AR Platorm?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: A comp and defense AR Platorm?

Postby rugersol on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Uffdaphil wrote:if I had not just blown my wad on 3 BCM uppers

Boy! ... sounds like yer a big fan?!

... from yer link ...
BCM posters, hat, stickers, lube and training DVD's!

I'll bet ya got more posters, hats, n stickers than ya can shake a stick at?!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Hmac on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:53 pm

rugersol wrote:
Hmac wrote:the 6920 isn't a 3-gun contender at the national Minnesota level

;)

Yeah, no clue. I don't shoot 3-gun and don't own a Colt rifle.
Hmac

Postby shooter115 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:50 pm

Look, I'm not really saying the 6920 is a "bad" rifle. Here's my way of thinking. If the OP decided he was going to shoot a 3 gun match, from my experience he'll be hooked. At that point he'll be looking at what it takes to have a competitive rifle and will probably find that a Colt 6920 probably wasn't the best way to spend his hard earned cash.

On another note could someone please explain to me why a well set up 3gun rifle isn't a worthy HD rifle. Let's see ...... absolute requirements for a competition 3 gun rifle.
Reliability is a must.
Accuracy
Quick handling
Designed to engage targets from point blank to a long ass ways.
shooter115

Postby shooter115 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:56 pm

Uffdaphil wrote:Just for grins, here is what I would get if I had not just blown my wad on 3 BCM uppers for current builds. Style, function, and dependability in one gorgeous package. What's an extra $300 for this?

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/co ... ECCE14-FDE

Except if you shot it a lot you would probably grow to hate the cheese grater full quad rail HG.
shooter115

Postby Uffdaphil on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:17 pm

rugersol wrote:
Uffdaphil wrote:if I had not just blown my wad on 3 BCM uppers

Boy! ... sounds like yer a big fan?!

... from yer link ...
BCM posters, hat, stickers, lube and training DVD's!

I'll bet ya got more posters, hats, n stickers than ya can shake a stick at?!

Nah. I give the hats and DVD's away. I just wanted to build 3 near identical 14.5" middy lightweights with different rails and buffer systems to see what I like the best. Will probably sell two. I have a couple Colts, and LMT's, a DD and a custom 18" SPR clone. Problem is I am addicted to building and the safe is jammed. Of course another safe... EX-wives can't say no!

My five sibs don't give a hoot about guns so I am the armory if/when the SHTF. I'm sure they will be quite happy then to supply the food and shelter.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby rugersol on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:09 am

Uffdaphil wrote:
Nah. I give the hats and DVD's away. I just wanted to build 3 near identical 14.5" middy lightweights with different rails and buffer systems to see what I like the best. Will probably sell two. I have a couple Colts, and LMT's, a DD and a custom 18" SPR clone. Problem is I am addicted to building and the safe is jammed. Of course another safe... EX-wives can't say no!

My five sibs don't give a hoot about guns so I am the armory if/when the SHTF. I'm sure they will be quite happy then to supply the food and shelter.

Nice little harem ya got goin there! ... yer a good brother!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
rugersol

Postby UnaStamus on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:31 pm

Hmac wrote:See, I thought the guy wanted a good reliable rifle that he could use for defense, and maybe some weekend 3-gun. He said he wanted a rifle for "just plain fun shoots, defense, as well as possibly entry level 3 gun comps".

My suspicion is that, while the 6920 isn't a 3-gun contender at the national level, it is a reliable, cost-effective rifle that will likely be more capable at 3-gun than him (initially), in the event that he actually does shoot some 3-gun and likes it on a level where a 6920 just won't be good enough for him. Then he could sell it and buy a DPMS masterpiece.

Same here.

I think there's a disconnect with the 3-Gun crowd posting up in here that may need to be clarified by the OP. OP- Do you really just want a 3-Gun setup, or do you want a general purpose rifle?
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby shooter115 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:33 pm

UnaStamus wrote:
Hmac wrote:See, I thought the guy wanted a good reliable rifle that he could use for defense, and maybe some weekend 3-gun. He said he wanted a rifle for "just plain fun shoots, defense, as well as possibly entry level 3 gun comps".

My suspicion is that, while the 6920 isn't a 3-gun contender at the national level, it is a reliable, cost-effective rifle that will likely be more capable at 3-gun than him (initially), in the event that he actually does shoot some 3-gun and likes it on a level where a 6920 just won't be good enough for him. Then he could sell it and buy a DPMS masterpiece.

Same here.

I think there's a disconnect with the 3-Gun crowd posting up in here that may need to be clarified by the OP. OP- Do you really just want a 3-Gun setup, or do you want a general purpose rifle?

No more so than the disconnect that the dedicated "tactical" crowd here believes the 6920 to be the ultimate "general purpose" rifle. It's a civilian version of the M4.......a fighting weapon. It's not inherently accurate and has a horrible trigger, but you can beat the crap out out of it and it will still keep ticking. That's like calling a Humvee the best "general purpose" vehicle for your daily commute.

Let's look at 3 scenarios here and you tell me what the best general purpose rifle is. This comparison is based off 2 of my rifles and a Colt 6920.
Contender#1 has a 20" heavy barrel with a 14oz trigger, a 4-16X Sightron scope and generally shoots about 1/2-3/4 MOA. Trigger did give me trouble once when it was 30 below zero out yote hunting in ND a couple years ago, other than that it has been flawless. But I cannot call this rifle 100% reliable
Contender#2 has an 18" medium profile barrel, a crisp 3# trigger, a 1-4x Burris scope and generally shoots about 1 MOA with that optic. This rifle has been 100% reliable through thousands of rounds and 2 years of getting beat around in competition.
Contender#3 has a 16" lightweight barrel, a long gritty 7-10# trigger pull, topped off with an Eotech or Aimpoint can shoot anywhere from 2-5 MOA (hard to tell with the crappy trigger). This rifle is 100% reliable as well.
So what is the best "general purpose" rifle? Keep in mind I built the top 2 for less than I could buy a Colt 6920 with an Eotech for.
shooter115

Postby Hmac on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:54 am

shooter115 wrote:
UnaStamus wrote:

Same here.

No more so than the disconnect that the dedicated "tactical" crowd here believes the 6920 to be the ultimate "general purpose" rifle.

Nobody said anything about "ultimate" general purpose rifle. The opinion was offered that the Colt 6920 is a reliable, cost-effective, entry-level rifle that represents a solid purchase for someone who wants a rifle for "just plain fun shoots, defense, as well as possibly entry level 3 gun comps". It's a great starting point for someone to become familar with the platform, determing first-hand what his interests and uses are and then either modifying it to reflect those needs or selling it and starting again using the lessons learned. At $1100, its a smarter buy in that category than a $900 DPMS. If the money is more important to the user than the quality...well, that's a different decision. Likewise if his 3-gun ambitions play a bigger role than his "fun shoots" and "defense" then maybe a different choice would be appropriate.
Hmac

Postby rugersol on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:23 am

... how the fanboys read the OP ...

lizard55033 wrote:I'm looking at getting back into the AR rifles; its been some time.

The use will be just plain fun shoots,
DEFENSE, as well as possibly entry level 3 gun comps.

I have been looking at either a Stag, Del-Ton, or DPMS. Trying to stay less than or vear $1000

Anyone have any experience with the Stag or Del-Ton?

... the natural conclusion is, the OP has a very significant rape-gang problem, in his neighborhood!

As to "fun shoots", if lizard desires to out-shoot his buddies, then a free-float handguard, decent comp, and a really nice trigger will go a long way, to that end!

... amazingly nuff, not much more is req'd for a decent "entry level 3-gun"! :o

So, the choice is, an $1,100 6920 ... take off the handguard, flash-hider, trigger ... and replace em all with nice stuff! ... say $400+

... or, basically buy a decent free-floated mid-length upper (er otherwise assemble one) for closer to $700 for the complete gun, THEN spend the extra $250+ on a trigger n comp! ... maybe a better handguard, too!

Well ... lessee ... I intend to kill 30 home-invaders in the next 10yr ... figure 3rd - 4rd per invader ... that's bout 100rd for "DEFENSE"

... vs. ... oh, I dunno ... say 4 matches per year ... figure 20rd+ per match ... over 10yr ... oh ya, should probly practice, eh?! :? ... quadruple that! ... 3,200rd for "entry level 3-gun" ... + however many rounds for "fun shoots"!

Tell ya what! ... I happened across m4carbine the other day ... read a thread on there ... kinda along these lines ... wholly unrelated though, I assure you! ... point bein, I think I see where yer comin from ... not to say I wholeheartedly agree with anything resembling any kinda reasoning, behind it ... but I see where yer comin from!

... next time ... the OP says "carbine course" ... or "3,500rd per day" (did I get that one right?! :? ) ... and you say "6920" or "Noveske" or whatever ... I'll simply reply "+1"!

deal?!
rugersol

Postby Hmac on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:33 am

rugersol wrote:So, the choice is, an $1,100 6920 ... take off the handguard, flash-hider, trigger ... and replace em all with nice stuff! ... say $400+

Sounds like a good plan. If and when he needs those things.

In the meantime he has a quality rifle. Admittedly, not everyone is concerned about the quality part and would rather save the few hundred $$$, especially if that lesser amount of money gets them a cool-looking UTG rail and other such accessory doodads. And, admittedly, for some people, maybe even many people, a consumer-grade rifle for the 250 rounds per year it's used may be "good enough". Personally, I don't see it as a "rounds-per-category" issue. Some people would just rather have a quality firearm, especially if they only have to shell out an extra $200-$300 to get it. My particular view of my firearms hobby drives me to aspire to better than "good enough". That's where I'm coming from. Others may very well see it differently. More power to 'em.
Hmac

Postby codilly on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Save the money on paying for the roll mark and buy ammo with it, A LOT of people on here must've missed the part where he said he wants to say under $1,000 I have a palmetto upper with a NB BCG in it that next to never see's oil and has been 100% not to mention I built it for under $1,000
Life time NRA member
codilly

Postby Hmac on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:27 pm

codilly wrote:Save the money on paying for the roll mark and buy ammo with it, A LOT of people on here must've missed the part where he said he wants to say under $1,000 I have a palmetto upper with a NB BCG in it that next to never see's oil and has been 100% not to mention I built it for under $1,000

I know a guy who knows a guy who has a Hi Point pistol with 5000 trouble-free rounds through it (so I'm told). People buying those fancy Glocks just for the rollmark ought to save their money. ;)
Hmac

Postby codilly on Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Hmmmm didn't know Glocks were over priced for what they are, also never held a Glock with a worse fit and finish than a pistol that's $400 less like I have with every single Colt rifle I have handled. Lets run your Colt dry next to my rifle and see what one binds up first and all I run is Tula, Wolf or Herter's lol . BTW I also go with the cheaper option over a Glock in the XD ;)
Life time NRA member
codilly

Postby Shawski on Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:47 pm

Lots of butthurt in this thread. Fanboy drama at its finest
Shawski

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns