01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Re: ar stock recomendation

Postby rukwikenuf on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:14 pm

A2

light, sturdy, wont collapse accidentally, and they work

Or ACE, the new MOE Rifle Stock from Magpul.... fixed stocks are great. light, strong, and they work.

ACE also has a collapsible version of their skeleton stock, the SOCOM: http://riflestocks.com/store/product99.html
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

ar stock recomendation

Postby jshuberg on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:21 pm

Magpul UBR. It's the bees knees baby!!
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

ar stock recomendation

Postby jshuberg on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:28 pm

rukwikenuf wrote:ACE also has a collapsible version of their skeleton stock, the SOCOM: http://riflestocks.com/store/product99.html

I had one of these on my Sig 556 SBR. The indents in the buffer tube that lock it into place are extremely small and shallow, and with very little abuse the aluminum can mush out and cause the stock to slip and collapse. I know it's advertised to be able to be used for door breaching and the like, but mine went bad from simply slam testing a new trigger job for safety. 2 or 3 bangs on the stock to simulate being dropped and the thing gave out. Sucked cause it was pricey. I've got a CTR on it now, but prefer the UBR.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby rukwikenuf on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:34 pm

jshuberg wrote:
rukwikenuf wrote:ACE also has a collapsible version of their skeleton stock, the SOCOM: http://riflestocks.com/store/product99.html

I had one of these on my Sig 556 SBR. The indents in the buffer tube that lock it into place are extremely small and shallow, and with very little abuse the aluminum can mush out and cause the stock to slip and collapse. I know it's advertised to be able to be used for door breaching and the like, but mine went bad from simply slam testing a new trigger job for safety. 2 or 3 bangs on the stock to simulate being dropped and the thing gave out. Sucked cause it was pricey. I've got a CTR on it now, but prefer the UBR.

damn! that really does suck, cuz i love that stock!
the UBR really is great. the one on JShuberg's rifle holds all the abuse i've seen it go through, and full autos get a fair amount of abuse.

for a budget conscious collapsible carbine stock though, i'd say Magpul CTR. it's the same as the MOE Carbine Stock but with a friction lock
saying that guns kill people is like saying that spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

if God wanted us to drink whiskey, he would have given us stomaches

I'm a little teapot...
rukwikenuf

ar stock recomendation

Postby jshuberg on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:07 pm

Maybe it was a fluke it crapped out on me, who knows. I think I've still got it boxed up somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and bring it out and show it to you some time.
NRA Life Member
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Uffdaphil on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:23 pm

STR, CTR and B5 SOPMOD for me. Got an ACS-L which feels good, but I find it butt ugly.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby unknown on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:42 am

jshuberg wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts, lots of good recommendations to look into.

I've been looking at the ACE collapsible http://www.midwayusa.com/product/120483/ace-hammer-buttstock-7-position-collapsible-ar-15-lr-308-aluminum-black But I dont digg how the little trigger thingy sticks out in the middle of the stock. I feel it would be on the way.
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby Scratch on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:08 am

rukwikenuf wrote:for a budget conscious collapsible carbine stock though, i'd say Magpul CTR. it's the same as the MOE Carbine Stock but with a friction lock

plus it has a quick disconnect sling mount hole.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby unknown on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Is a Magpul UBR worth more than having a PWS buffer tube with another magpul stock? I already have the PWS buffer tube, but I am feeling strongly drawn to reinvest on the Mapul UPR. (eat up my lack of reaserch)

Id love your thoughts.

Thank you,
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:38 am

unknown wrote:Is a Magpul UBR worth more than having a PWS buffer tube with another magpul stock? I already have the PWS buffer tube, but I am feeling strongly drawn to reinvest on the Mapul UPR. (eat up my lack of reaserch)

Id love your thoughts.

Thank you,

IMO, it's a bit heavy ... personally, I'd only ever put nother one on a bench gun!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby Uffdaphil on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:42 am

Ubr has a great rep, but unless it was for a precision scoped rifle, for about the same money I would get an STR and the Vltor A5 buffer system. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vg8n3ghlBo -- Shows differences between A5 and standard carbine buffer. One piece of bad info in the vid though. The primary purpose is reduced recoil, not using in all gas lengths. Vltor makes differing weight A5 buffers. The one that comes with the kit does NOT work for all configurations. You can buy up to H4 I believe.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby UnaStamus on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Avoid ACE stocks. They're not good quality. I have watched several self destruct on the range. One caused an entire rifle to go high order at a shooting course.
The Hammer stock is an answer to a question nobody asked, and it epitomizes the ability to make up whatever false specs you want to convince people to buy your crap. AND it's $289. Ridiculous.

Magpul, VLTOR and all SOPMOD stocks are the best options. I've used all, and I prefer the Magpul STR the most. It all depends on if you want a short or long stock, lightweight or heavier, storage or no storage, etc.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby JustPlainT on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:26 am

Another warning away from Ace stocks. Did not like mine at all. The adjustable stock actually collapsed on me during a 2-day shooting event, ended up running it the rest of the weekend with the stock in the fully collapsed position.

Magpuls and original milspec stocks (collapsing or A2) are my recommendations. I am experimenting with a Mako Group/FAB stock that holds a spare magazine right now. It seems to do alright, but it has one ding on it that the spare magazine in the stock has released on me. I am not sure if it was just not seated correctly into the stock, but losing what is supposed to be your "emergency" mag is not encouraging to me. Further testing to come on that.
Midwest Defense Institute, LLC
Quality Training at an Affordable Cost
JustPlainT

Postby WolfTrack on Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:46 am

unknown wrote:recommendations for a stock. I'd like something strong and compact.

Thoughts?

Sully Stock immediately comes to mind...
“The art of war teaches us to rely not on the likelihood of the enemy's not coming, but on our own readiness to receive him; not on the chance of his not attacking, but rather on the fact that we have made our position unassailable.”
WolfTrack

Previous

Return to Long Guns