US Arms Patriot 15 plastic lower

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

US Arms Patriot 15 plastic lower

Postby mecra on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 am

Anyone have experience with it? Is it significantly lighter than a normal metal lower?

http://www.billsgs.com/JulyGOTM.html

Was thinking about picking it up as a backup lower or as a primary if it's light and works well.
mecra

Re: US Arms Patriot 15 plastic lower

Postby LumberZach on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:29 pm

I am ultimately against any plastic lowers. The receivers are not places that you should be looking to gain weight savings. These plastic receivers usually have a tendency to crack and fly apart after use.
LumberZach

Postby Evad on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:31 pm

LumberZach wrote:These plastic receivers usually have a tendency to crack and fly apart after use.

Got any failure pictures? I hear people say this...and when I looked can only find the opposite. Granted, I didn't look much.
Evad

Postby TTS on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Evad wrote:
LumberZach wrote:These plastic receivers usually have a tendency to crack and fly apart after use.

Got any failure pictures? I hear people say this...and when I looked can only find the opposite. Granted, I didn't look much.

They tend to break at the back by the buffer tube, but often split in the front as well. The Cav Arms lowers are the only reliable plastic lowers I have encountered.

Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby rockcreek on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:22 pm

I have sold hundreds of New Frontier poly lowers with only 2 complaints. Both of them were failed takedown pins on very early production units, no issues with the actual receiver. One I know of is running as a full auto dealer sample with tens of thousands of rounds through it. I don't have any experience the the US Arms unit, but to say polymer lowers are bad just because they are polymer doesn't make any sense.
rockcreek

Postby TTS on Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:35 pm

If you want a light lower that is durable, this is what you seek. 6oz

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/mg-g4ultralightarlower.aspx#.UfhpWGRATDM
Owner
TTS

Postby Scratch on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Cant remember where, maybe Arfcom, but Ive seen a thread full of pics of cracked or broken poly receivers also about a year ago. I'm sure they're out there, but I've never seen a pic of a broken aluminum receiver. I also don't like how the takedown pins are always so hard to push out.

I know I wont be buying a poly receiver.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Evad on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:27 pm

I've seen what I asked for. I wonder if some are better than others?

Considering my AR expertise...I will stay away, at least for now.
Evad

Postby The Lance on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:27 pm

159 for a lower is pricey.

Especially a poly one. For that price you can get a nice aluminum one transfered and shipped to an ffl
I'm not down with the republican party, or the democratic party. I represent the MI6
The Lance

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:15 am

TTS wrote:They tend to break at the back by the buffer tube, but often split in the front as well. The Cav Arms lowers are the only reliable plastic lowers I have encountered.

I should note that none of these failure pictures are of the the Patriot-15 models, which are of a much different design
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:16 am

The Lance wrote:159 for a lower is pricey.

Especially a poly one. For that price you can get a nice aluminum one transfered and shipped to an ffl

This is a complete lower including buttstock, not a stripped lower
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby TTS on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:59 am

Squib Joe wrote:
TTS wrote:They tend to break at the back by the buffer tube, but often split in the front as well. The Cav Arms lowers are the only reliable plastic lowers I have encountered.

I should note that none of these failure pictures are of the the Patriot-15 models, which are of a much different design

Joe,

You are correct. In addition I think that polymer lowers are great for inexpensive range guns and .22 conversions.
Owner
TTS

Postby UnaStamus on Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:45 am

I've had my hands on broken polymer lower receivers. The issue is that they have been known to have catastrophic failure in areas that the forged and billet aluminum receivers do not. I've seen an untold number of photos as well. There may be some polymer lowers that are standing up to use, but until there is an extensively documented, long-standing record of specific models remaining durable and reliable to the same degree as forged aluminum lowers, I won't touch polymer lowers with a 10 foot pole. I also won't build them or work on them if they're brought to me.
Based on personal experience and industry research, any story of a reliable and durable polymer lower at this point can only be treated as "anectodal" in my opinion.
I can accept that they would be fine for .22LR conversions and so forth, but for any person wanting to have a halfway decent AR, there are better options available for not much more money.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Return to Long Guns