AR 15 barrel

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AR 15 barrel

Postby firefirghter2 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:33 pm

Hello All,

I'm in the market for an AR 15 or M4 style barrel. I would like to know what everyone would recommend. This is my first build and on a budget. I've heard many things just want some good solid advice and where I can get the best deal for the money. I'm open to all opinions and suggestions.

Thank you
firefirghter2

Re: AR 15 barrel

Postby LumberZach on Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:45 pm

I am in the same place you are. I am looking at the SOTA arms m4 profile barrel, and the AR-stoner barrels on midway. Either are going to run about $150 for chrome lined.
LumberZach

Postby ARBuilder on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:13 pm

LumberZach wrote:I am in the same place you are. I am looking at the SOTA arms m4 profile barrel, and the AR-stoner barrels on midway. Either are going to run about $150 for chrome lined.

Can I ask why you specifically want chrome lined?
ARBuilder

Postby LumberZach on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:22 pm

ARBuilder wrote:
LumberZach wrote:I am in the same place you are. I am looking at the SOTA arms m4 profile barrel, and the AR-stoner barrels on midway. Either are going to run about $150 for chrome lined.

Can I ask why you specifically want chrome lined?

Make me feel better, more resistant to corrosion and such. Not much more money for a good upgrade.
LumberZach

Postby shooter115 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:30 pm

From what I've seen, this is the best buy in barrels out there. They are made by Wilson Arms. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/431749/dpms-mark-12-barrel-ar-15-556x45mm-nato-heavy-contour-1-in-8-twist-18-stainless-steel-black-pre-ban?cm_vc=wishList

I've been tempted to try one of the AR-Stoner barrels. In particular this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/794051/ar-stoner-barrel-ar-15-223-remington-wylde-medium-contour-1-in-8-twist-18-fluted-stainless-steel?cm_vc=wishList

Another great barrel option comes from Nordic Components. http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/ar-15-10/nordic-223-wylde-18-competition-barrel/

I've also heard really good things about the Criterion barrels. http://criterionbarrels.com/productpages/AR15Listing.html

I've also personally had really good luck with Lother Walther barrels. I have one in an M4 contour that is impressively accurate. My dad has used a few of their 20" barrels for precision builds with good results.

Trick is finding what you like in stock. With the bubble having burst on the AR market I don't suspect this is going to be a problem for very much longer. One thing I would advise is if you are going with a chrome lined barrel, avoid the bottom tier stuff.
shooter115

Postby The Lance on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:55 pm

Melonite is better then chrome lining by leaps and bounds
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... roupid=573

Good barrel for the money if and when they have it in stock

You may find it elsewhere a bit more
I'm not down with the republican party, or the democratic party. I represent the MI6
The Lance

Postby LumberZach on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but while we are on the topic, what are your guys opinions of heavier barrel profiles than a std M4 profile? I have friends tell me they are wonderful, but I am not sold yet. I am worried about too much extra weight on my AR that it is uncomfortable to swing/carry/shoot from shoulder.
LumberZach

Postby shooter115 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:29 pm

Really depends on what you want to use it for. I'm partial to mid-weight 18" rifle length gas system barrels, but I also have 20" rifle length, 16" mid-length and 16" carbine length rifles. Different rifles for different purposes.

I've owned one 20" bull barrel that I thought would be the hot ticket for a varmint rig. WRONG!!!.....thing was so damn heavy you couldn't stand to carry it from a sling. I wouldn't recommend anything heavier than an HBAR profile unless it's going to be a bench gun.
shooter115

Postby rugersol on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Midway's showin a m4 bbl for like $110 right now! ... depending on how ya run it, it might do fine for ya!

If it was me ... in-stock right now ... I'd either go with the mini sass or this "stoner"

... keep in mind, that mini sass requires a larger block! ... the "stoner" should come in a few oz lighter! ... I'd bet either one'd hold 0.5 moa with decent loads!

Yer gonna have a tough time findin a decent mid-heavy 16-18in mid-gas bbl much under $250 most anywhere!

I agree with shooter115 ... that Mk12 is the shiznitz! ... good luck findin one!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby rugersol on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:18 pm

LumberZach wrote:Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread but while we are on the topic, what are your guys opinions of heavier barrel profiles than a std M4 profile? I have friends tell me they are wonderful, but I am not sold yet. I am worried about too much extra weight on my AR that it is uncomfortable to swing/carry/shoot from shoulder.

IMO, if yer gonna carry it, go m4 ... er lighter! ... it should shoot ok, cold ... but if ya wanna dump a couple hundred rounds with yer buddies, ya probly won't win the tightest group contest!

No law (yet) against more than one AR! ... er more than one upper! ;)
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:56 am

Short of long range precision work beyond 500yds, you don't need anything longer than 16" in barrel length. Added 2" is added 2" of weight. In terms of barrel profile, getting a medium or heavy profile barrel is even more weight added, which is not exactly ideal for a rifle that will see general use. A government profile barrel will be more than strong enough to stand up to a pounding, and they're plenty accurate for general (non LRP) use. Using a heavier profile than that is really not necessary, but if you can handle the extra weight, it's not a big deal either. There are also lightweight profile barrels, which are nice for carrying and long term use. Barrel construction plays a big role in barrel capability and durability, but only part of that is related to the profile of the barrel. How the barrel was made, and who made it, also plays a big role.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby LumberZach on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:35 am

UnaStamus wrote:Short of long range precision work beyond 500yds, you don't need anything longer than 16" in barrel length. Added 2" is added 2" of weight. In terms of barrel profile, getting a medium or heavy profile barrel is even more weight added, which is not exactly ideal for a rifle that will see general use. A government profile barrel will be more than strong enough to stand up to a pounding, and they're plenty accurate for general (non LRP) use. Using a heavier profile than that is really not necessary, but if you can handle the extra weight, it's not a big deal either. There are also lightweight profile barrels, which are nice for carrying and long term use. Barrel construction plays a big role in barrel capability and durability, but only part of that is related to the profile of the barrel. How the barrel was made, and who made it, also plays a big role.

Good to hear. I have seen something that the AR-stoner barrels are by ER shaw, even though they are a value line I would expect the stoner barrels to be pretty good. The SOTA arms barrels are made here in our great state as far as I am aware so that is a plus on them.
LumberZach

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Just make sure to get a barrel that is either chrome-lined or melonited if you go with the CMV steel barrels.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby firefirghter2 on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:51 pm

I would like to say thank you to everyone for their suggestions. Please keep them coming.
firefirghter2

Return to Long Guns