Savage Axis?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Savage Axis?

Postby Minnesnotashooter on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Hello, some of you might recognize me from my reloading posts, and you might be relieved that I am now happily and safely reloading safe and functional rounds, but now I am deciding to go into the centerfire rifle world, if you don't know me I am only 13 but love to shoot and in my current "arsenal" I only have 2 .22 rifles one bolt and one semi as well as a 870 express 12 gauge and now I'd like to buy a centerfire rifle, and scince I have to buy all my guns my self(well not really my dad buys them for me with my money) I want to find the best one for the money and the savage axis looks like a good one, I only want it for deer and occasionally havin fun at the range, I'm not tryin to drive tacks at 1000 yards or anything so it might be the one for me. I am left handed so I'm planning on getting a lefty version in .308(now I'm a relatively tall kid for my age I'm 5' 11", 135 lbs and I have shot similar rifle rounds like a .30-06 and 7.62x54 so I know I can handle a .308 fine). So I need to know if this rifle will last me a while and shoot decent groups from 110 yards or less out of the box with a decent scope( by the way, anybody got some scope recommendations for around 70 or 80 bucks thanks).

So if this rifle is not that great, what other rifles would be good(remember I would like it to have a lefty model and try to keep it under $400). Thanks to anyone who replies!
Minnesnotashooter

Re: Savage Axis?

Postby rockcreek on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:34 pm

The Axis is a decent gun. They all shoot very well, but the trigger will feel more like your 870 than most bolt actions. At that price point, in a left handed gun it is about your only option. It may not be pretty, but they do perform well for the price. If you can deal with a right hand bolt, I would take a look at the Ruger American, just for the far better trigger.
rockcreek

Postby Minnesnotashooter on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Alright thanks, yeah I've heard ups and downs with the trigger, and I looked at the ruger American too hoping they would have a left handed version but sadly they didn't but I guess it's not that big a deal so il look into it a bit more now thanks
Minnesnotashooter

Postby MaryB on Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:30 pm

I have an Axis in 223, trigger isn't that bad and there are some things you can do to improve it. Mine will do 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards with my handloads.
MaryB

Postby Sammichman on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:57 am

I have 2 of the Savage Axis style Rifles with Factory Triggers with a Little tweaking they work great ,,a little less than 3# ,,,,
Sammichman

Postby Packrat on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:42 am

Fleetfarm has Savage rifles with a scope for just over $300, I do not know if they have left hand guns for the same price. I have a Savage Model 11 in .308 that i like alot.
[url][URL=http://s148.photobucket.com/user/KJJEEP/media/DSCF0207.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
I'm left handed also but but all my long guns are right hand it just takes some practice to get used to.
Packrat

Postby Lunchbox on Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:03 pm

I had an Axis in .308. Only reason I say had is because after one season of deer hunting I realized I'm not completely comfortable shooting with a scoped rifle at a moving target that I want to put down cleanly and sold it. Like was said the trigger was heavy but not to the point I was pulling my shots either from the bench or my shoulder. For the price you won't be able to beat it. I'm looking to either get another one at some point or upgrade depending what I end up deciding I want to do with it, deer gun or long distance.
"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all of its students" - Robin Williams
"You see this? This... is my boomstick! The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington." - Ash Williams
Lunchbox

Postby smurfman on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:43 am

This week Cabelas has the Savage 10/110 package guns on sale for the same price or not much more than an Axis will run once you pick up a scope and rings. The Pro Staff scope these come with are not the greatest but they will get one by until one decides to upgrade. I strongly feel the 10/110 series rifles are much higher quality guns than the Axis series which would surely give one a lifetime of service with a little care.

The Axis I have questions about, particularly the stock for which there are no aftermarket substitutes. There are more than a few complaints of the stock breaking or otherwise becoming damaged with no replacement available. As it is made as a "replaceable" rather than "repairable" item, I doubt there will be much in the way of repair parts available.
smurfman

Postby Sammichman on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:35 am

smurfman wrote:This week Cabelas has the Savage 10/110 package guns on sale for the same price or not much more than an Axis will run once you pick up a scope and rings. The Pro Staff scope these come with are not the greatest but they will get one by until one decides to upgrade. I strongly feel the 10/110 series rifles are much higher quality guns than the Axis series which would surely give one a lifetime of service with a little care.

The Axis I have questions about, particularly the stock for which there are no aftermarket substitutes. There are more than a few complaints of the stock breaking or otherwise becoming damaged with no replacement available. As it is made as a "replaceable" rather than "repairable" item, I doubt there will be much in the way of repair parts available.
I also prefer the 10/110 my Stevens Is actually a 10/110 staggered feed ,,Boyds makes a 100% drop-in the 110 I just picked up used 110in 308 with a Plastic stock soon it will be sporting a Wood stock I just picked up on e-Pray,,,needs to be refinished but It,s 1/2 the cost of a Boyds with the mods I want
Attachments
dscf2621.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
P1000622.JPG
P1000609.JPG
Sammichman

Postby smurfman on Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:31 pm

I have a Savage 16 in 7mm/08 and a 116 in 375 H&H mag which I really like. The 375 Savage is a real tack driver with 270 gr Remington loads though I will soon have to work up a handload for it. I've owned several other 10/110s but they have slipped through the fingers for one reason or another. The Stevens 200 is just a pre-Accutrigger Savage for all intents and purposes, my 7mm/08 is of that era. I have been waffling about getting one in 25/06 but I have no real need for one at this time. These were great deals for a starter gun at one time, unfortunately they were dropped to make room for the Axis/Edge.

I have a wood Boyd's stock I intend to put on the 375 one of these days, it was originally made for a drop magazine while my 375 has a blind mag. I will need to fashion a plate to fill the hole in the stock and provide a floor for the blind magazine. It shouldn't be too hard but I am just lazy. I will probably wait until recoil ovals out the receiver screws and I am forced to replace the original stock. As friends have seen this occur in as little as a few hundred rounds in other makes of rifles, I suspect the 375 and the 7mm/08 will end up needing replacement at roughly the same time.

That seems to be the main problem with cheap stocks, they "loosen up" in critical areas relatively quickly. With inexpensive guns like the Axis, this could be a death knell for the gun.
smurfman

Postby Sammichman on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Sammichman wrote:
smurfman wrote:This week Cabelas has the Savage 10/110 package guns on sale for the same price or not much more than an Axis will run once you pick up a scope and rings. The Pro Staff scope these come with are not the greatest but they will get one by until one decides to upgrade. I strongly feel the 10/110 series rifles are much higher quality guns than the Axis series which would surely give one a lifetime of service with a little care.

I also prefer the 10/110 my Stevens Is actually a 10/110 staggered feed ,,Boyds makes a 100% drop-in the 110 I just picked up used 110in 308 with a Plastic stock soon it will be sporting a Wood stock I just picked up on e-Pray,,,needs to be refinished but It,s 1/2 the cost of a Boyds with the mods I want
Sammichman

Postby Minnesnotashooter on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:58 pm

Packrat wrote:Fleetfarm has Savage rifles with a scope for just over $300, I do not know if they have left hand guns for the same price. I have a Savage Model 11 in .308 that i like alot.
[url][URL=http://s148.photobucket.com/user/KJJEEP/media/DSCF0207.jpg.html]Image[/url][/url]
I'm left handed also but but all my long guns are right hand it just takes some practice to get used to.

Thanks I have a fleet farm in the next town over from me(the carver location if that's the one you go to). Yeah I've heard very positive things about the model 11 as well I'm thinking about not worrying about it being a left handed bolt and just pay the extra amount for the clearly better ruger American or I guess now the model 11 thanks! (Nice deer too)
Minnesnotashooter

Postby Minnesnotashooter on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks for everybody's replies all of them are greatly appreciated, because of all the warnings I think il go get a better quality rifle in a right hand bolt configuration and just learn how to deal with it( I will mainly be shooting from a rest anyway)
Minnesnotashooter

Postby JJ on Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:34 pm

If you save an extra $100, you can pick up a Savage 11 LH. Not an item you are going to find on many shelves, but it can be ordered from most any dealer. Save $150 more and you can find one with a combo pack scope.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Savage Axis?

Postby PhilaBOR on Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:31 pm

If you can swing it, get the better rifle. A good rifle lasts generations, and if you skimp you may regret it a long time. Also for a scope, you might want to look at a 1:4. Keep it on 1 for walking thru the woods, only dial it up if you have a long shot. You can take a better snap shot at 1x than at 3x (if you got a 3:9).
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Next

Return to Long Guns