New Upper build order & suggestions

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby unknown on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:19 am

Hi there,

My lower is officially completed, oh happy day. Now it is time to build the upper. I already scored a mega billet upper, and now I need to start buying the components. as I am a total n00b and at the research stage, I am not sure of the order I should purchase things (this is a slow build) or what specifics I should be looking at. I would love to hear your guidance on what order I should research/buy things and if you have any specific recommendations.

Here is what I am thinking

Dust cover & forward assit
BCG (Spike's Tactical Nickel Boron M16 BCG (223/5.56))
Charging handle (no idea)
Barrel (no idea but shortest allowed without making an sbr)
muzzle
Barrel nut
Gas block
Gas tube

And that is that, right?

Forearms
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby Erud on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:57 am

What are you going to do with it?
Erud

Re: New Upper build order & suggestions

Postby unknown on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:12 am

Good question. Range shooting and home defense. The main reason this is a slow build is because I am trying to get the best components, so it takes me a some time to save up for them.
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby shooter115 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:42 am

unknown wrote:Good question. Range shooting and home defense. The main reason this is a slow build is because I am trying to get the best components, so it takes me a some time to save up for them.

Range shooting covers a pretty broad spectrum. Close range plinking, long range target shooting, 3-gun competition or carbine classes? What are you expecting for accuracy at say 100 yards? Are you planning on using irons or some type of optic? What type of optic?
shooter115

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:31 am

ya'll definitely wanna get the bbl before the block er the gas-tube! ... most bbl's are .75 at the port ... but if it ain't, ya'll need a different block!

also, most any free-float handguard will come with a bbl-nut ... if yer not doin a free-float, ya'll need a FSB er such ... and yer handguard options may be somewhat more limited ... I'd guess most would either be rifle-length er carbine ... so ya'd need to decide ... and try to find the proper length handguard, proper FSB and cap, and bbl (w/matching port length and bbl dia @port) at roughly the same time!

if ya otherwise decide to go with a .75 mid-length and a free-float, ya should have no trouble findin what ya need!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby unknown on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Thank you for the probing questions. I am looking for something that would well hit the 100 yard mark. I am thinking red dot and back up irons for sights. I guess I am looking to get a Maserati for an everyday car. Not sure if that analogy makes sense.

rugersol, what is the bbl? big beautiful ladies?
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby rugersol on Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:22 pm

unknown wrote:rugersol, what is the bbl? big beautiful ladies?

You know it! ;)
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby unknown on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:02 pm

In all seriousness what does bbl stand for?
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby ARBuilder on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:23 pm

It means barrel

my suggestions, buy the bbl, upper receiver, handguard, gas block, tube , flash hider, charge handle then BCG (bolt carrier group)
In that order for the most part.
ARBuilder

Postby unknown on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:31 am

Righ on! Ill start looking in bbls

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby 67camaro on Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Another suggestion is look for a 16" barrel. If you choose to go the 14.5" route you will have to permanently attach muzzle device, not recommended for a new build with someone that doesn't have access to a welder, let alone know how to use one. Just go 16 then you can change your muzzle device any time you want and also don't have to worry about changing forearm at a later date if you decide to change things up after a while.
67camaro

Postby FJ540 on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:12 pm

67camaro wrote:Another suggestion is look for a 16" barrel. If you choose to go the 14.5" route you will have to permanently attach muzzle device, not recommended for a new build with someone that doesn't have access to a welder, let alone know how to use one. Just go 16 then you can change your muzzle device any time you want and also don't have to worry about changing forearm at a later date if you decide to change things up after a while.

Having a welder, and mill to cut out the old pins, I'd still suggest this advice. 14.5" saves you 1" in total length with a A2 sized muzzle device, but you have to find an extra long muzzle device to bring the 14.5" up to 16", so that in itself limits your options. A2 sized device brings a 16" up to 17" functional length. Not worth the trouble at all.
FJ540

Postby MNGunGuy on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:12 am

There's a handful of local places that will pin and weld a flash suppressor/comp for you. Don't let the lack of equipment hold you back if that's what you want.
MNGunGuy

Postby FJ540 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:34 pm

Yeah, I'll do it for ya, if that's what you're after - but I got rid of my only 14.5" barrel because it's a pain and not worth the trouble.
FJ540

Postby TTS on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:40 pm

I would go over to Atomic Tactical, they will walk you through all the options and even assemble the components you choose for free. I just had them build a LW upper for my wife's Bday present and the service was exceptional.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Next

Return to Long Guns