New Upper build order & suggestions

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: New Upper build order & suggestions

Postby northernbird on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:23 pm

If you get the hand guard before the gas block, make sure you get a gas block that will fit under your hand guard (if your hand guard would be long enough to cover it) this would probably only be an issue if you got a heavy or bull barrel and a pretty slim hand guard. The hand guard specs should detail out the inner diameter for you, and the gas block specs will typically give you the outer diameter.

One other tip. while your torquing the barrel nut, make sure your torque wrench isn't secretly hitting the bottom of your upper vise. If it does it will drive you completely nuts trying to figure out why you cant get things lined up and the nut seems to tighten up all at once. lol.. I still get frustrated thinking about how annoying that was.
northernbird

Postby unknown on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:59 am

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I will be stopping by atomic this weekend and see what options they have for a 14.5. Maybe a pin/weld a Noveske KX3. And a parallax super slim rail.
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby highwarden on Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Here is an idea to help keep you organized for your build. http://ar15buildbox.com/Store.html

Just my personal opinion but if you have not done so yet, clearly define what you are going to use this gun for. Then if you can find some one or several someones to let you try a variety of barrel lengths and stock options.

So far I haven't found any reason to have a barrel shorter than 20 inches. And until I am somewhere That I can have a suppressor, I don't want anything hanging off the muzzle. Also as far as stocks I currently have a standard fixed A2. At this point in time the only other stock I would be interested in is a Magpul PRS.

Your purposes for this rifle may be completely different than mine so your configuration would be completely different.

Also the two most important reasons for doing something are 1. because I can and 2. because I want to.

Whatever you decide, have fun!
highwarden

Postby highwarden on Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:06 pm

Here is an idea to help keep you organized for your build. http://ar15buildbox.com/Store.html

Just my personal opinion but if you have not done so yet, clearly define what you are going to use this gun for. Then if you can find some one or several someones to let you try a variety of barrel lengths and stock options.

So far I haven't found any reason to have a barrel shorter than 20 inches. And until I am somewhere That I can have a suppressor, I don't want anything hanging off the muzzle. Also as far as stocks I currently have a standard fixed A2. At this point in time the only other stock I would be interested in is a Magpul PRS.

Your purposes for this rifle may be completely different than mine so your configuration would be completely different.

Also the two most important reasons for doing something are 1. because I can and 2. because I want to.

Whatever you decide, have fun!
highwarden

Previous

Return to Long Guns