Question for 870 fans

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Question for 870 fans

Postby Ironbear on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:06 am

Can a 12 gauge/3" barrel be installed on an 870 in place of a barrel marked 2-3/4", or are the receivers actually different sizes? Or is it just a Generally Bad Idea?

Educate me.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Re: Question for 870 fans

Postby westberg on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:19 am

Yes as long as you only use 2-3/4" shells. The ejection port is not large enough for the longer shells and there maybe an issue with the strength of the receiver and I'm sure someone else with will more information.
westberg

Postby mnglocker on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:27 am

westberg wrote:Yes as long as you only use 2-3/4" shells. The ejection port is not large enough for the longer shells and there maybe an issue with the strength of the receiver and I'm sure someone else with will more information.

+1 What Ron said, the ejection port is smaller and won't be able to eject spent 3" shells. It will cycle unfired loads though.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby Ironbear on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:20 pm

Ah. Just what I was looking for. The receivers are different. I guess that leads to a second question (My non-shotgun colors are showing). Are 3" shells really necessary? Or is it like using the latest and greatest Fedremchester Short UltraMags (or was it UltraMag Shorts? ;-) )for 70 yard woods hunting in Minnesota, all sound and fury (and recoil) signifying nothing? Where are 3" shells applicable?
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Widge on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:54 pm

I thought my 870 was marked for 2 3/4 or 3 inch. I'll have to go check.

ETA: It is.
I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!
Widge

Postby mnglocker on Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:59 pm

Ironbear wrote:Ah. Just what I was looking for. The receivers are different. I guess that leads to a second question (My non-shotgun colors are showing). Are 3" shells really necessary? Or is it like using the latest and greatest Fedremchester Short UltraMags (or was it UltraMag Shorts? ;-) )for 70 yard woods hunting in Minnesota, all sound and fury (and recoil) signifying nothing? Where are 3" shells applicable?

What are you hunting, and what kind of projectile are you using?
-Get a rope Tuco.

mnglocker

Postby westberg on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:57 pm

Widge wrote:I thought my 870 was marked for 2 3/4 or 3 inch. I'll have to go check.

ETA: It is.

I have a late 70's version marked 2-3/4", not sure when they started making the product line standard to shoot 3".
3" shells would be good for Turkey, Geese and using 3"slugs for deer hunting. I perfer to use 2-3/4" for upland bird hunting.
westberg

Postby rucker on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Ironbear wrote:Are 3" shells really necessary?

Generally you get either more pellets at a higher velocity or a lot more pellets at the same velocity. Everybody who I hunt with uses 2 3/4" and they get more birds than I do using 3" shells. More pellets doesn't seem to make up for being a ******* shot :lol:
rucker

Postby Vlad on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:16 pm

I have a shotgun that can take the 3 in rounds, my shoulder however cannot. I hunt deer with Federal premium (2 3/4) sabots and can make cloverleaves at 50 yards. I will use the 3inch out west for geese but that is the only place. My buddy has the same thing as you and it kills deer just fine. YMMV. ;)
Tom
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby Ironbear on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:59 am

mnglocker wrote:What are you hunting, and what kind of projectile are you using?

At this stage it usually isn't called "hunting", it's called "shopping". ;)

I am interested in starting up with the novice trap night at Oakdale, next summer, and possibly getting back into grouse and pheasant; and have started eying shotguns. I've encountered a few nice, used 870's that are marked only for 2-3/4" and have been wondering what I was giving up in not having 3" capability. Based on what's been said here, it looks like 3" isn't really a big deal unless I want to do duck and geese. However that can be dealt with later. This won't be my last shotgun... just looking for a decent starter for trap mainly with the ability to do upland.
Ironbear

Postby mnglocker on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:11 am

Ironbear wrote:
mnglocker wrote:What are you hunting, and what kind of projectile are you using?

At this stage it usually isn't called "hunting", it's called "shopping". ;)

I am interested in starting up with the novice trap night at Oakdale, next summer, and possibly getting back into grouse and pheasant; and have started eying shotguns. I've encountered a few nice, used 870's that are marked only for 2-3/4" and have been wondering what I was giving up in not having 3" capability. Based on what's been said here, it looks like 3" isn't really a big deal unless I want to do duck and geese. However that can be dealt with later. This won't be my last shotgun... just looking for a decent starter for trap mainly with the ability to do upland.

Sounds like you've got it. ;)

A shorter 24"-26" barrel will be quicker handling for upland, trap/skeet also. You may also want to keep your your eyes peeled for a removable choke tube, so that you may taylor your patern to your needs.

Typically for ducks/geese, I prefer to go with a 3" shell, full choke and a 28"-30" barrel for a longer sight radius/long range shots at honkers.
-Get a rope Tuco.

mnglocker

Return to Long Guns