Question for ARficionados

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Question for ARficionados

Postby Ironbear on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:21 am

When I look around the internet, I see a bunch of AR's with 11" barrels and 5.5" muzzle brakes. Why...:?: I mean, I know that the 5.5" brake is required to get to the minimum barrel length requirement, but why not a 15.5" barrel with a 1" brake? Gets you the same OAL but with a lot more usable barrel. So... why all the 11" barrels? What fact am I missing for all this to make sense?
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Re: Question for ARficionados

Postby princewally on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:29 am

I'm guessing it's due to 11" barrels being standard on something or other with a lot of overage. Some bright young sales drone looked in the recycling pile and said "Hey, let's screw on a muzzle brake and sell this to civilians!"
Of the people, By the People, For the People. The government exists to serve us, not the reverse.
princewally

Postby mnglocker on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:32 am

Or perhaps they're just to hold you over until you get your $200 tax stamp and a you can SBR it.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby hammAR on Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:21 pm

mnglocker wrote:Or perhaps they're just to hold you over until you get your $200 tax stamp and a you can SBR it.

SBR and/or M4-2000 Can...........

From Bushmaster:
11.5" barrel assembly: $225
11.5" barrel assembly w/ 5.5" flash hider welded: $240
Complete w/A2 upper, bolt, 11.5" barrel assembly w/ 5.5" flash hider welded: $685
Complete w/ A2 upper,bolt and standard barrel assembly: $575
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Ironbear on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:52 am

HammAR understands my point. Anybody who wanted to SBR it or make a AR pistol would simply start with short barrel rather than a short barrel with a "permanently affixed" flash hider and cut it down. It seems that anyone keeping the longer overall length would want more barrel and less flash hider. At least that's what I would expect from a rational, intelligent, informed... consumer.... ahhh... I think I may have just answered my own question... ;)
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby JFettig on Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:39 pm

Ironbear wrote:HammAR understands my point. Anybody who wanted to SBR it or make a AR pistol would simply start with short barrel rather than a short barrel with a "permanently affixed" flash hider and cut it down. It seems that anyone keeping the longer overall length would want more barrel and less flash hider. At least that's what I would expect from a rational, intelligent, informed... consumer.... ahhh... I think I may have just answered my own question... ;)

Your absolutely right. I started posting earlier then I didn't, you don't gain anything having this setup, you loose velocity, energy, gets louder? maybe more flash?

Jon
JFettig

Postby EAJuggalo on Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:50 pm

but it looks much more tacticool. I'd much rather have my 22" barreled AK but that may just be me.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby David on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:36 pm

It's a historical thing, having nothing to do with performance. Those who want that 60s CAR15 look (which, I believe, were 10.5-inch barrels with 4-inch flash suppressors) go this route. I had one years ago but put a new barrel on it when I decided I'd rather have a shooter than a pseudo-historic rifle. In fact, the lower is pretty much the only part I haven't replaced on that rifle!
David

Return to Long Guns