Tristar Raptor

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Tristar Raptor

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:04 pm

Does anyone here have any experience with a Tristar Raptor Semi-auto 12 ga shotgun? I just traded for one and my overall cost was less than $160. The gun has been shot two times and looks beautiful. I haven't shot it yet (will Tue.) but from what little I can find, it should be shot woth a box or two of heavy loads to loosen it up, before shooting the lighter target loads. Supposedly, the heavy loads loosen up the gun.
I already ordered a magazine extension that will give me 9 + 1 rounds of 2 3/4" , which I think will be fun. I will have less than $215 in the gun and it looks brand new. From what I did find, it is Turkish made. I do plan to tear it down and thoroughly polish all the sliding parts as well as the trigger, hammer, sear, etc. But, that won't be done until later, after I shoot it a bit this week. It's amazing how much it looks like a Beretta (I know, a Knock-off) and it is actually a great looking shotgun and my first auto-loader.

Thanks for any tips

BD
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: Tristar Raptor

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:55 am

Several of my Charles Daly shotguns are Turkish made imports. They REQUIRE teardown to check for form, fit, and function. Deburr as required, fit parts as required for proper fit, and verify no parts have visible damage.

Several other owners of semi-auto Charles Daly shotguns who did not check for FF&F had pieces break and repair parts are near impossible to find.

Then shoot the crap out of it with lighter loads to break-in slowly, BEFORE going to heavier loads which may break parts before allowing parts to wear into place.

Your Choice.
OldmanFCSA

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:42 am

Would be interesting to know who actually makes the Tristar. Even CZ shotguns are Turkish made and branded CZ. Have Beretta right next to CZ on my rack and they look a LOT like the same gun. The CZ is well made etc. Hopefully the Tristar works out as the price is certainly right for the hunters here compared to the other imports.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:13 am

I agree with Oldman's advice - the budget priced semi-auto and O/U imports (Turkish, Chinnese and Russian specifically) can represent a lot of value for the end-user but it's critical to go in with both eyes open. Perhaps check the forums for some "before you buy" tips on what to check to improve odds of selecting one that is less likely to have problems from the factory. I've owned a Turkish Huglu over-under shotgun and it ran without issues, my current do-all semi-automatic is a Russian Bakail MP-153 which has never experienced a failure after a mix of 1000+ 2.75-3.5" shells and LONG runs between cleaning in non-ideal field conditions. Charles Daly, Tristar and ATI are all brand names used for the different Turkish and Russian imports (usually brought in by EAA).

On the flip side I've got a Savage/Stevens 350 series shotgun (made in China) that started out alright but after some use has been nothing but problems... (double-feeding, slide locking up completely after firing being the two biggest gripes) which seems semi-common given the research I've done online... given the wide availability of Mossberg, Remington and Winchester pumps on the used market at a similar price-point I'd absolutely avoid the pump action PRC imports sold under the Savage/Stevens brand like the plague.
Last edited by yuppiejr on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yuppiejr

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:30 am

I believe the CZ is a Huglu made shotgun.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:11 pm

CZ's are made by Huglu, stamped right on the barrels on the doubles.
mmcnx2

Postby rockcreek on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:46 pm

The Tristars are made by Armsan, who makes shotguns for several other manufacturers. They are a pretty decent gun, basically a clone of the older Beretta gas guns. The machining and fit/finish is better than most guns in the price range. They also take Beretta Mobil-choke tubes.
rockcreek

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Range test update,

Shot it with Remington Target Loads today and it performed flawlessly. I also fired a couple heavy loaded 00 Buck, again not a problem. I traded a guy less than $150 (my cost) of ammo and I am certain I got a good deal. The gun doesn't have a scratch on it, amd I was extremely happy with the felt recoil.

I have ordered an extended Mag that will give me 9+1 capabilities, which will be fun to shoot skeet etc with. Maybe even plug it and should the oportunity arise, use it for duck hunting. I always wanted a semi-auti 12ga just never got around to buying one. I do plan to take it down, and to break out the dremel and polish all the sliding parts (and thoroughly clean everything).

Thanks for all the advice.

Just call me "One Happy Puppy" :D
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby MaryB on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Sweet deal!
MaryB

Return to Long Guns