Scope Question

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Scope Question

Postby LarryP on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:30 pm

I have a stainless steel Ruger 10-22 Rifle.
Want to put a scope on it. Not sure what kind yet.

What do I need to buy to mount the scope? Never done this befor.

And does the mount have to be the same brand as the scope?
LarryP

Re: Scope Question

Postby Sigfan220 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:06 pm

It should have come with a scope base and screws. I personally prefer Weaver style bases and upgraded mine, they are pretty cheap. The dovetail ones always seem to loosen. The newer bases may be weaver style or a combination of both but the old ones were the dovetail style.

The scope rings must be the same type as the base but not the same brand. Example a dovetail base needs dovetail rings and a weaver style base requires weaver style rings. Also remember that Weaver is a brand AND a type of base. Weaver will make all sorts of bases and rings, not all are interchangeable(example a Weaver brand dovetail ring will not fit on a Weaver style(any brad) base). Then the rings must match the diameter of the scope typically 1" or 30mm. For a 22 the 1" scopes are fine.

I think it helps to spend a little extra on rings and bases. I like to buy ones made in the USA to support our economy and for better quality. Weaver brand has some low cost USA made bases and rings. Otherwise I like Harris QD rings.

A 3-9 should be plenty for a 22. I have a 6-24 and 6x is more than I would like on the low end. I may swap it out for a 3-9 or 4-12. Again you get what you pay for. But for a 22 a $70-100 scope should be fine. I just wouldn't get the cheapest scope they sell.
Sigfan220

Postby shooter115 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:11 pm

For the scope, power range is really dictated by what you want to use it for.

Did the rifle come with a scope base? Most do.....if not no biggie there are ton's of them out there. Here's the factory mount and it works fine http://www.midwayusa.com/product/733986/ruger-1-piece-tip-off-weaver-style-scope-base-ruger-10-22-silver

For rings, I am a big fan of the Burris Signature Z rings, but I have a few sets of the Weaver Quad-Lock 4x4 rings on various .22's and a 17HM2 and they've been flawless. For the money I think they represent an excellent value. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/582629/weaver-1-quad-lock-4x4-rings-matte-high Ring height is generally determined by the bell diameter of the scope on a 10/22.

No, the mount does not have to be the same brand as the scope. Just make sure they match the diameter of the scope tube. Usually 1" or 30mm

Here's another option that keeps things really clean and simple http://www.midwayusa.com/product/129008/dnz-products-game-reaper-1-piece-scope-base-with-1-integral-rings-ruger-10-22-silver-medium

Now after all that.......If you've never done anything with optics, my best advice is to find a good gun shop to help you out and look at various scopes. Explain to them your situation and they should be happy to help. Since you don't list your location there's not much I can recommend for a local shop. If you're in the Metro, Arnzen Arms is good. If you are near St. Cloud, Gun's and Gear is good. If you are on the west side of the state near Alexandria, The General Store is good. Last bit is don't go with some super cheap POS, you'll be better off with your irons. I'm not saying you have to put a $500 scope on it, but if we ever meet and you put one of these little 3/4" tube dealies that they sell in bubble wrap at Wally World for $12.....I'm gonna rip it off and whack ya upside the head with it. ;)
shooter115

Postby Jack's My dog on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:09 pm

I agree with the other fine fellows that have posted so far...Avoid buying the cheapest scope just because it is going on a .22. I did this based on the recommendation of the fine fellow at Gouger Mountain that sold me my first .22, and I have regretted it ever since. Don't make my mistake :oops:, the additional cost to get a decent scope is worth it.
Jack's My dog

Postby Sigfan220 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:06 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:I agree with the other fine fellows that have posted so far...Avoid buying the cheapest scope just because it is going on a .22. I did this based on the recommendation of the fine fellow at Gouger Mountain that sold me my first .22, and I have regretted it ever since. Don't make my mistake :oops:, the additional cost to get a decent scope is worth it.

You learned a valuable lesson. Don't ask for advise or even the simplest technical questions at Gander(or any similar store for that matter). I can't believe the things the guys say and have on a couple occasions cut in because the advise was so bad(or dangerous). They can get you a price or grab a gun for you to look at, beyond that pretty much worthless.
Sigfan220

Postby dupa on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:07 pm

if you happen upon a cabelas.. check out the bargain cave for a good plinker scope. got my last few there and felt they were good deals
dupa

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:02 pm

I have a relatively cheap Tasco World Class 2x7 on my Remington 552 and I can shoot superb groups out to about 100 yds. I put it on years ago when I first discovered I needed glasses and used it for squirrel hunting. You don't have to spend "big bucks" but make sure to get good eye relief and nice clear optics. With a .22 recoil isn't going to be a big issue.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby LarryP on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks for the replies, As far as use, I just want something for simple target shooting & use out in the woods plinking at whatever Nothing real specific.
Like to keep it under $100
LarryP

Postby LarryP on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:08 pm

dupa wrote:if you happen upon a cabelas.. check out the bargain cave for a good plinker scope. got my last few there and felt they were good deals

I never have been to Cabelas, might go next week thou to look around. Fleet farm to
LarryP

Postby Jack's My dog on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:15 pm

LarryP wrote:Thanks for the replies, As far as use, I just want something for simple target shooting & use out in the woods plinking at whatever Nothing real specific.
Like to keep it under $100

In this range you should be ok. Just don't buy into the "your never going to shoot over 50 yards" stuff. You run a couple of bricks though the gun at that distance (50yds) with a scope and you probably will want to take it out a bit further. .22 is a lot of fun at 100 yds...if you can find any ;) .
Jack's My dog

Postby Duff-Man on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:20 am

BSA sweet 22, is around $100 been working ok for me so far.
Duff-Man

Return to Long Guns