9mm AR

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

9mm AR

Postby mmcnx2 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:48 am

I've been looking at 9mm AR's that use pistol(glock) mag.

There is one company JR Carbines, anyone have one or something similiar?

Pros/cons worht owning.
mmcnx2

Re: 9mm AR

Postby SIGP240 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Yes, I like mine. You can shoot it to try it out. They get hungry fast. The UZI mags are cheap to buy and built to last . I have a Colt upper with sub gun bolt. They recoil, not gas operated. Some are picky on ammo, try before you buy. I would recommend the 9mm but feel the 10mm versions out there better in firepower dept but factory 10mm 75 cents a round and 9mm cost little. The sights are a major concern. Make sure you go with colts' replacement sights for the 6450. You will see why. Red dot on 9mm AR nice combo but I like iron sights better. Let me know if you want to shoot it at BPR
Proudly launching lead from a Swiss P-240 at a range near you.
SIGP240

Postby Bitter Bastard on Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:56 pm

I have just a standard 9mm AR-15 setup. It's an SBR built off a Colt 635 SMG parts set and RRA lower. It's a really fun gun to shoot. The magazines, though, are expensive (usually about $30+) and are the hardest to load magazines I own. The Glock mag I think would be a good alternative if you are not looking for the true Colt look and feel. Last I heard the bolt needs to be shaved down a bit to clear the single stack feedlips of the Glock mags but there may be other setups out there I don't know about that would use a standard AR 9mm bolt.

Anyway, they are fun little guns. Recoil is much different than a 5.56 due to the blowback design but still quite pleasant.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby rockcreek on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:15 pm

The JR carbines are neat guns, especially since they use cheap, reliable Glock mags. There isn't much parts commonality with the AR besides the fire control group and butt stock, but they were designed from the ground up to be a pistol caliber carbine. IMO the best AR based 9mm is the Rock River, they use UZI mags which are also cheap, but can be finicky.
rockcreek

Postby ARBuilder on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Build it DI! Blowback blows!!!!
ARBuilder

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:04 am

rockcreek wrote:The JR carbines are neat guns, especially since they use cheap, reliable Glock mags. There isn't much parts commonality with the AR besides the fire control group and butt stock, but they were designed from the ground up to be a pistol caliber carbine. IMO the best AR based 9mm is the Rock River, they use UZI mags which are also cheap, but can be finicky.

The RRA stuff is nice but they look to run about $1200. Thi sis just a toy for me so that puts it in the Loaded Springer range. $700ish was my goal.
mmcnx2

Postby BC98 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:38 am

I think Lone Wolf Distributors sells a lower that will accept Glock mags. Might be worth a look.
BC98

Return to Long Guns