Core 15 Tactical M4 Piston Rifle

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Core 15 Tactical M4 Piston Rifle

Postby DKMY04 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:55 am

My buddy was looking into getting one of these. What do you guys think? Good for the price? Suggestions, reviews? Thanks guys.

(MSRP is $1639.99)
DKMY04

Re: Core 15 Tactical M4 Piston Rifle

Postby mahnster on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:25 am

Has he checked out the Huldra lineup at Fleet Farm?
mahnster

Postby Hmac on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:31 am

You can buy a similar rifle from a proven manufacturer with excellent reputation for that amount of money or less.
Hmac

Postby DKMY04 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:56 am

mahnster wrote:Has he checked out the Huldra lineup at Fleet Farm?

No he hasnt, I'll mention that to him.
DKMY04

Postby Hmac on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Have him check out Fleet Farm's Korstog line as well as long as he's there. DI version of their Huldra.
Hmac

Postby DKMY04 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:49 pm

I think another factor to why he is considering this rifle is the warranty as well, supposedly they have a "No BS" life time warranty.
DKMY04

Postby Hmac on Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:58 pm

DKMY04 wrote:I think another factor to why he is considering this rifle is the warranty as well, supposedly they have a "No BS" life time warranty.

It's his money, but I don't think that's a good reason to buy an expensive rifle of unproven quality from a relatively unknown manufacturer. Warranty support among virtually all of the quality rifle manufacturers is excellent.
Hmac

Postby rockcreek on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:50 pm

Hmac wrote:Have him check out Fleet Farm's Korstog line as well as long as he's there. DI version of their Huldra.

You tell him not to buy a rifle of unknown quality from any unknown manufacture, then tell him to look at a rifle from an even lesser known manufacturer :lol: . Actually both the Core15's and Huldras are well built rifles. Truth be told, most AR rifles on the market right now are better than they have ever been. If a rifle has the features you want, at the price you are willing to pay, go for it (obvious exceptions to this apply ie: Vulcan, Hesse, Blackthorne, et al.).
rockcreek

Postby Hmac on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:19 pm

rockcreek wrote:
Hmac wrote:Have him check out Fleet Farm's Korstog line as well as long as he's there. DI version of their Huldra.

You tell him not to buy a rifle of unknown quality from any unknown manufacture, then tell him to look at a rifle from an even lesser known manufacturer :lol: . Actually both the Core15's and Huldras are well built rifles. Truth be told, most AR rifles on the market right now are better than they have ever been. If a rifle has the features you want, at the price you are willing to pay, go for it (obvious exceptions to this apply ie: Vulcan, Hesse, Blackthorne, et al.).

Huldra and Korstog are not unknown to me. I am confident in their level of quality, being familiar with a few of the principles in the company and having seen Huldras perform spectacularly in at least a couple of 2000 round carbine courses. I have no clue about Core 15 other than it appears to relatively new to the market, and that it's more expensive than similar rifles of proven quality from companies of proven quality. There's no need to gamble on a Core 15. Based on my experience, I don't consider Huldra or Korstog to be a gamble.
Hmac

Postby gbono23 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Core 15 was developed by engineers that worked for Bushmaster. When Bushmaster was sold they decided to start their own company and develop their own line of weapons. These were top level engineers with Bushmaster, and have years of experience.

I bought a Core-15 last December. I like the feel, and weight of the gun. I did have an early on issue with the gun, actually it was in June, 6 months after I bought it. It was the first time I had shot it due to job and other reasons earlier in the year. I called them up and explained what happened, and they sent me a prepaid label to ship it back to them. They told me they don't care if you're the 5th owner and have fired 10.000 rounds they will fix it. I had it back in less than 2 weeks. Since it came back I've had it to the range 5 times and more than 400 rounds, and its performed flawlessly.
gbono23

Postby gbono23 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Core 15 was developed by engineers that worked for Bushmaster. When Bushmaster was sold they decided to start their own company and develop their own line of weapons. These were top level engineers with Bushmaster, and have years of experience.

I bought a Core-15 last December. I like the feel, and weight of the gun. I did have an early on issue with the gun, actually it was in June, 6 months after I bought it. It was the first time I had shot it due to job and other reasons earlier in the year. I called them up and explained what happened, and they sent me a prepaid label to ship it back to them. They told me they don't care if you're the 5th owner and have fired 10.000 rounds they will fix it. I had it back in less than 2 weeks. Since it came back I've had it to the range 5 times and more than 400 rounds, and its performed flawlessly.
gbono23

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:40 pm

Core-15 is definitely more well-known nationwide than Huldra and they have a better warranty. Both are fine rifles but Core-15 certainly isn't an "unknown" and I'd venture that they're far more proven than most.

That being said, at the price your friend is looking to pay he isn't far off from a LWRC, which is a superior firearm compared to either of the above.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Hmac on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:20 pm

gbono23 wrote:Core 15 was developed by engineers that worked for Bushmaster. When Bushmaster was sold they decided to start their own company and develop their own line of weapons. These were top level engineers with Bushmaster, and have years of experience.

Not exactly a rousing tale to instill confidence, including the part about Bushmaster roots.
Hmac

Postby Dave Timm on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:41 am

Hi Guys,

I wont debate who is more well known or not, its no secret we are more focused on our region. To the OP, I'm not here to come and give you a sales pitch but really look at the specs and compare the two. The rifle you mentioned is probably most similar to our Tac Elite which we sell for $1550. If you compare what you get from each, to me its a no brainer.

They use a bolt on gas block, we used a pinned block for better durability. Both actually use Adams piston system.
The have a quad rail, ours is extended arround the gas block offering protection and more rail space
They dont list accuracy, we use milspec 4150 CrMoV and list a 1 MOA accuracy spec at 100 yards
They use a magpul MOE stock, we use a Vltor
They dont list trigger so I am guessing its standard, we use the $270 JP EZ trigger kit
They come with sights, ours doesn't so there is that, but they put a magpul plastic sight on the gas block which magpul even says not to do.

I could go on but I am really proud of our tac elite it is an amazing buy, and it comes with 6 mags and we have people on the local forums :D

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, or have your friend come to Brainerd and shoot one.

Thanks
Dave
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
Timm Arms Co.
Firearms and NFA Sales & Transfers, Gunsmith & Armorer Services
http://www.timmarms.com
Dave Timm

Return to Long Guns