Awesome deal

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Awesome deal

Postby msnden on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:15 pm

ex-LT wrote:
msnden wrote:!

Pics of guns, nobody likes that here. Of course dude, post'em up!

PS: Nice looking gun. If it was a .308 or a 7mm-08, I'd consider asking you if you wanted to sell it.[/quote]

"ex-LT" Thanks for the information, it puts this one at 1982, it is a nice rifle, very light, I made a note to myself to get it out to the range!, although I only put a few rounds through this gun, I remember the accuracy, Thanks again.
msnden

Postby Belgiboy on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:43 pm

Nice rifle indeed. It should have been out in the woods the last two weeks. Was the barrel always that length or was it shortened?
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Postby msnden on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Belgiboy wrote:Nice rifle indeed. It should have been out in the woods the last two weeks. Was the barrel always that length or was it shortened?

Yes, it should make an excellent deer rifle, I would think that is what it was designed for, short barrel, light weight, should be quick, No, the barrel was never shortened, & is very thin,. I did some checking and it is indeed a Ruger Ultralight, 20" contoured barrel. wt 6lb, it is sometimes refered to as the "BlackTip" due the black tip on the forarm, I am not going to go so far as to say that it is rare, but I don't think they are real common, Thanks for renewing my interest.
msnden

Postby Belgiboy on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:47 am

After detail stripping and deep cleaning, I'm noticing that the barrel is nicely free floating except the first half inch or so where the fore end touches the barrel. In the picture it's the area ahead of the sticker between the barrel and the wood. I have a couple of options here:
- I can leave it as is, and see how it shoots
- I can grab sand paper, file and Dremel and open up front part of barrel channel. Potentially this could ruin finish and resell value though
- I could get a new stock. This is however an older rifle with a non standard barrel profile. Apart from a fugly Hogue, I haven't really found any decent replacement stocks.

Any opinions, advice or alternative solutions are much appreciated.
I have a Colt Python and you don't so what do I care...

Mom, Dad.... I'm Gaelic

http://www.zazzle.com/belgiboy/gifts
Belgiboy

Awesome deal

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:07 am

I would leave it alone, some manufacturers design the stock channel to put predictable upward pressure on the barrel, my 7mm rem mag is like this and shoots better not free floated. Shoot the gun and see what it is capable of as-is before messing with it IMHO.
yuppiejr

Postby EJSG19 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:51 pm

If you decide modifications are needed I've got boiled linseed oil, polyurethane, shellac, varnish, lacquer... among other things. My woodshop isn't crazy on sanding equipment but you are welcome to what I do have. I also have a dremel :)

Hopefully it shoots as is. If not guess you gotta decide if its a shooter or an investment.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Rem700 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:41 pm

yuppiejr wrote:I would leave it alone, some manufacturers design the stock channel to put predictable upward pressure on the barrel, my 7mm rem mag is like this and shoots better not free floated. Shoot the gun and see what it is capable of as-is before messing with it IMHO.

What he said, See what it shoots like and if not happy you can try something else.
I have the same M77V in .243Win
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby SSBotanyBay on Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:43 pm

I got an almost identical deal on my tang safety M77. IIRC I paid $550 for the gun with the Redfield Widefield scope, leather sling, rifle case, 80 rounds of once fired Rem brass, and 20 rounds of loaded factory Rem. Mine is chambered in 300WM but the magnaporting sure does help with that. I love that rifle. Hoping to take my Newfoundland moose with it in fall of 2015.
"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense."---Thomas Chalmers
SSBotanyBay

Previous

Return to Long Guns