low power AR scope?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

low power AR scope?

Postby patrick on Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:10 pm

After having an Aimpoint on my AR for the last several years I determined that it is pretty much useless.I think it's just my old worn out eyes,but I feel that red dots are best suited for short range stuff like shotguns and pistols.If I'm shooting at 50 yards or more I turn the Aimpoint off or just remove it all together.I seem to shoot as well with irons as I do the Aimpoint.So are there any small,low powered scopes of good quality out there that I can put on my AR?I looked at the Burris TAC30 but it looks like it's too long to use with a BUIS.The Aimpoint will likely end up on my HD shotgun.
I live in Bloomington Mn!!!!
patrick

Re: low power AR scope?

Postby EJSG19 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:06 pm

I'd look into an illuminated reticle scope from Leupold or someone similar.

I took a 1-4x VX-R deer hunting this fall and loved it. Took deer beyond 100 yards with the red dot on. The dot is very small compared to Eotech's and other holographic sights. Its 1 moa IIRC while many non magnification sights are 2-6 moa IIRC.

Love that little scope. You can also buy the Mark AR versions, same thing, cheaper glass, cheaper price.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby shooter115 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:44 pm

You're going to have a real hard time finding a scope you can use with BUIS without removing the scope. The advantage a low power illuminated scope has over a red dot is the reticle is etched so even if the battery dies you still have sights, reducing the need for back-up sight. If you truly feel the need for a second sighting system you could get a set of 45º offset sights or look at the JP handguard mounted system.

As far as scopes go the Burris 1-4x MTAC or TAC30 is pretty tough to beat for the money. I've been running the 1-4x MTAC on my 3-gun rifle for over 2 years now and it's been great. Vortex optics is also another great option.
shooter115

Postby LumberZach on Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:49 pm

The other option is getting a mount that sets the scope up high enough to sit over the BUIS and have some sort of QD capability. I have been looking a lot at lower powered scopes as well, and the Leupold is pretty much what I have in mind. I think it was the Mark AR series but don't hold me to that.
LumberZach

Postby patrick on Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:49 pm

I was thinking QD so if it fails I still have my back up.Was checking out some 1-4x24 scopes on line today.No matter what one I consider I can find at least person bashing it on line.I looked at Bushnell,MTAC and one or two others.Cant remember right nowThe PEPR mount looks promising.
patrick

Postby patrick on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Anybody have experience with the BUSHNELL AR 1-4X24 BDC IR?I'm a Bushnell fan.I have a really nice one on one of my rifles.I see this one works with IR.Not that that matters as I have no IR.It seems the Leatherwood is very well regarded with what I've read.I need to sell one of my toys before I make a purchase any way so I'm in no hurry.Plenty of time to do homework.
patrick

Postby andrewP on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:38 am

The following is speculation from someone who definitely doesn't know better, so if it's idiotic, please forgive me:

What about just adding one of those flip mount magnifiers to the existing Aimpoint? For that matter, would it be a viable solution to put a low- or mid-power scope on a flip mount rather than a quick detach, or would you have problems holding a consistent zero? If it would work properly, that'd solve your perceived need for backup sights without having to stow the scope somewhere as a result of detaching it.
andrewP

Postby Keith on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:34 am

patrick wrote:Anybody have experience with the BUSHNELL AR 1-4X24 BDC IR?I'm a Bushnell fan.I have a really nice one on one of my rifles.I see this one works with IR.Not that that matters as I have no IR.It seems the Leatherwood is very well regarded with what I've read.I need to sell one of my toys before I make a purchase any way so I'm in no hurry.Plenty of time to do homework.

Natchez has the Bushnell Trophy 1-4 on sale for $130.00. For that price I'm tempted to try one, myself.
http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?con ... e=Bushnell Trophy 1-4X24 Riflescope Illum. 4A Reticle Matte
(looks like the link isn't copying completely)
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby patrick on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:57 am

Didn't think about a magnifier.Might look into that.Part of the thing is that I'd like to put my CompML 2 on my HD shotgun.That Bushnell doesn't have a BDC.I think I was looking at one that did IIRC.
patrick

Postby JJ on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:59 am

"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby patrick on Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:45 am

Looks like another contender.Damn it!This is gonna be a tough decision.
patrick

Postby JJ on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:12 am

patrick wrote:Looks like another contender.Damn it!This is gonna be a tough decision.

I'm rocking one on one of my AR pistols in 300 BLk.

Top of the T: 109yd
First Subtension: 320yd
2nd Sub: 450yd
3rd Sub: 580

Perfect :D
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby patrick on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:51 am

Didn't notice the price right away.Looks a bit steep for me.The MTAC is looking pretty good.I found a good video on youtube by nutnfancy about AR scopes.Didn't cover the lower powered ones really though.He did say that he really likes Burris scopes.And he stressed over and over again that you don't have to spend a ton of money on a scope.With todays technology they are all way better than they used to be.Long video.Like around 53 minutes.
patrick

Postby westhope on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:21 am

I took put a Vortex 1-4 x 24 on my AR with a QD mount. I was impressed at 1 x it was as quick to aim (both eyes open) as my EOtech that I took off it. I have not tested if the QD mount will re-zero to 1 MOA as it is stated, but I plan to do that when it warms up. To use my Back-Up Sights I need to remove the Vortex. I tried scopes that were 1.25 x minimum and it was not as quick as a 1 x. Reticle is illuminated on the Vortex but is also visible turned off. I thought the grid on the Vortex was too fine at first, I don't think that any longer. It will only be used at 4 x and longer ranges when one should have more time to use the grid (MOA).

I put the EOtech on my Tavor (heavy trigger) since I think it is more of a CQB rifle than the AR. Back-Up sights on it are co-witnessed and can be used without removing the EOtech.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby patrick on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:33 am

What kind of QD mount?Vortex?
patrick

Return to Long Guns