savage or nikon

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

savage or nikon

Postby gun_fan111 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:10 pm

I bought a savage rifle with Nikon scope on it as a combo. When sighting in everything was fine but now the scope does not seem to zoom in anymore. It goes from 3x to 5x fine and then things no longer get magnified and the picture just shrinks... To the point where at 9x it is no longer usable.

Anybody had something similar? Do you think I should contact Savage our go straight to Nikon?

Thanks
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Re: savage or nikon

Postby kowalzekc on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:00 am

Bring it to where you bought it and talk to them first. Nikons in my experience are a bit finicky with eye relief. Especially at higher magnification.
Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
kowalzekc

Postby JJ on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:14 am

Throw a boresighter on. Most likely, the scope is adjusted past it's rated range. When over adjusted, it pinches the cam tube on the erector system, preventing the inner erector lenses from sliding.

Most likely your base is off, your rings are not seated properly in the weaver rail, or your rings are too tight pinching the tube and throwing your POA off.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby patrick on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:41 pm

Sounds like you have a vast knowledge of scopes.
I live in Bloomington Mn!!!!
patrick

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:20 pm

Nikon has a limited lifetime warranty. Contact Nikon and get an RMA and they'll fix the scope for your, or else replace it. If the magnification isn't working, the scope went Tango-Uniform.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

savage or nikon

Postby gun_fan111 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:23 pm

JJ wrote:Throw a boresighter on. Most likely, the scope is adjusted past it's rated range. When over adjusted, it pinches the cam tube on the erector system, preventing the inner erector lenses from sliding.

Most likely your base is off, your rings are not seated properly in the weaver rail, or your rings are too tight pinching the tube and throwing your POA off.

JJ, I sighted it in at 3x at 46 yards. I did notice when adjusting though that it took over 30 clicks to go up 5 inches which is much more than it should. Should have raised some red flags...
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby hunterfreakhd on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:06 pm

gun_fan111 wrote:
JJ wrote:Throw a boresighter on. Most likely, the scope is adjusted past it's rated range. When over adjusted, it pinches the cam tube on the erector system, preventing the inner erector lenses from sliding.

JJ, I sighted it in at 3x at 46 yards. I did notice when adjusting though that it took over 30 clicks to go up 5 inches which is much more than it should. Should have raised some red flags...

Click and tap click and tap my friend.
"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
http://www.outdoortrader.net
hunterfreakhd

Postby patrick on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:13 pm

"Tango-Uniform",Ha ha!
I live in Bloomington Mn!!!!
patrick

savage or nikon

Postby gun_fan111 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:13 pm

Crap! Can I somehow get it to "zero" for adjustment tabs again? Before I re-sight it in.
gun_fan111

Postby JJ on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:02 pm

To find mechanical center, adjust all the way to the stop in one direction. Count every click to the opposite stop. Divide that number in half and you have reached mechanical center.

To find optical center, use only the bottom half of your rings and a bore slighter. Rotate the scope 180 deg adjusting until the scope turns a full 360 without the POA changing.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

savage or nikon

Postby gun_fan111 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:15 am

Thanks!!! I will give the mechanical center a try tomorrow to see if the zooming function comes back. Really appreciate the help!

As you can tell this is my first scope :)
gun_fan111

savage or nikon

Postby gun_fan111 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:47 pm

Had some time to mess with it during lunch. If anybody is interested the adjustment range on a Nikon ProStaff is 417 clicks :)

First reset the up/down - no luck.

Then reset left/right - I am back in business!!! The diameter of the visible picture shrinks a bit but magnification works all the way to 9x.

Love this forum! Thank you!
gun_fan111

Postby bensdad on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Love this forum! Thank you!

Under the current circumstances, isn't it more accurate to say you love J.J.? :rotf: :goofydance:

ETA: Thanks for the "optical center" wisdom. I've needed that before and never thought of it myself.
I got nothin'
bensdad

Postby JJ on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Easier than counting clicks, going to a stop, count full revolutions to stop and divide in half.

Anywho, if you need more than 10" to get to zero, you need to evaluate your rings or bases.
JJ

Return to Long Guns