New rifle project - Finished!

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

New rifle project - Finished!

Postby Erud on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:19 pm

While shooting the Berger Southwest Long Range Nationals earlier this month in Phoenix, I was lucky enough to meet Doan Trevor, world-renowned gunsmith and woodworker. Over the last few days of the match, he and I talked about my dream of putting a Barnard action into an Anschutz 1913 stock. My 1913 is the most comfortable rifle I have ever owned or even ever fired, and since I got it 3 years ago, it is the standard that I judge all rifles by. In the last few months, I have sold off the Eliseo tube stocks from my 2 long range rifles and gone to more conventional stocks that are fairly close to the 1913, but not exact.

As it turned out, Mr. Trevor had recently modified a 1913 stock for a Barnard action for a customer. The fit and functionality of the Anschutz stocks is top-notch, but they aren't known for their beauty, they are generally just a slab of maple without much character. Doan told me that he could make a copy of one out of any wood I like with his stock duplicator, and this got the gears in my head turning. As luck(fate?) would have it, I got my name drawn at the awards dinner and ended up with a gift certificate for a substantial amount off of any rifle work done by, get this - Doan trevor. That pretty much sealed the deal for me. Sooo, for the last few weeks we have been going back and forth with pictures of pieces of wood that would work for this stock. Finally found one yesterday that is perfect; a beautifully-figured slab of American Walnut.

Now I just have to wait until my turn comes up for him to start carving it out. I've got a Barnard barreled action with trigger and sights from my original Palma rifle just waiting in the safe to drop in when it arrives. I plan on shooting a lot of Palma in the next 16 months, so having a spare rifle will not hurt. I kind of have a feeling that this will become my primary rifle though, and my current main palma rifle will become the backup...

Here's a pic of the slab of wood that will become my stock, it's the one on the right. I can post some pics of the finished product when it's all done if anyone is interested in seeing it, hopefully will be less than 2 months.

Erik
Attachments
photo.jpg
Last edited by Erud on Tue May 06, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erud

Re: New rifle project

Postby shooter115 on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Look forward to seeing this one come together. What caliber or does Palma require .308? Can't remember off the top of my head.
shooter115

New rifle project

Postby Erud on Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:55 am

Shooter,
This will be a .308. Palma requires .308 or .223, but the game is dominated by .308. The rules were expanded to include the .223 a few years back, but no one uses one as it's incredibly hard for it to be competitive at Palma distances, which are 800, 900 and 1000 yards. A properly set-up .223 is capable of good scores at 1000, but it just gives up too much horsepower when everyone else is shooting a properly set-up .308.

US Palma has no restriction on bullet weights, and a lot of shooters are shooting heavy bullets. Berger 185's are getting pretty popular and I've had some success with those myself. International competition limits bullet weight to <156 grains for .308 and <82 grains for .223. There are some truly excellent sub-156gr bullets in .308, but they are a lot more wind sensitive.

I've switched back to shooting the Sierra 2156 155 gr bullet exclusively in preparation for 2 big international competitions coming up, the 2014 Fullbore National Championships and the 2015 Fullbore World Championships. Fullbore is similar to Palma with a few differences; distances go from 300-1000 yards, there are a few more restrictions on the rifles, and typically matches are fired with 2-3 shooters per firing point. Shooters take turns on each shot and have a time limit in which they have to get the shot off, typically 45 seconds. This makes wind reading skill even more important than in normal individual matches where you can shoot fast in good conditions and try to wait out bad conditions if you like. In fullbore you have no choice but to shoot the condition presented to you so wind calls really need to be solid.

The barrel on the new project rifle is a 12-twist with about 1300 rounds on it from it's previous incarnation. It shoots both 185's and 155's extremely well. When it's time to re-barrel, I will put a 13-twist on it to remove the temptation to shoot any heavies before the World Championships.

If anyone has any questions about this type of shooting I am happy to answer them. I'll post some more pics as things move along.

Thanks,
Erik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Erud on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erud

Postby c.hazelton on Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:02 pm

So .308 or .223, you must be shooting F-TR. Whos bipod are you using?
c.hazelton

Postby cobb on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:56 am

Erud wrote: I can post some pics of the finished product when it's all done if anyone is interested in seeing it, hopefully will be less than 2 months.

Yes, please do.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

New rifle project

Postby Erud on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:26 am

c.hazelton wrote:So .308 or .223, you must be shooting F-TR. Whos bipod are you using?

Haha, you funny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Erud

Postby Erud on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:34 am

Ok, I have some pics of the progress.

Here's the block of wood fresh off the duplicator:

And here it is after most of the rasp work is done with the rosewood pistol grip cap glued on:

Here it is a little more cleaned up being fitted for the action:

And here's what it looks like as of 2 days ago:

Getting close now and I'm getting excited. Hope to get a phone call in the next 2 weeks….
Erud

Postby xd ED on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:42 am

Very classy.
A work of art that will no doubt be supremely functional.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby JJ on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:45 am

That's a piece of art in the making! Where did you pick up the blank? You can see some good figure in there even thru the work processes.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Erud on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:49 am

Thanks guys. The blank was one that Doan had on hand at his shop. I got the impression from talking to him that he has a pretty vast supply of wood laying around that he has accumulated over the years. He sent me pics of quite a few different slabs before we settled on this one. I'll post more pics as I get them.

Thanks,
Erik
Erud

Postby shooter115 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:17 am

Wow......that's some craftsmanship there. Cant wait to see it finished.
shooter115

Postby c.hazelton on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:07 pm

If I am not mistaken, the length of pull looks to be about 9 inches. Hope you don't get scope eye. Otherwise it looks very nice, I especially like the matte finish. Just my opinion, but too much shine can be gawdy.
c.hazelton

Postby Erud on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:28 pm

c.hazelton wrote:If I am not mistaken, the length of pull looks to be about 9 inches. Hope you don't get scope eye. Otherwise it looks very nice, I especially like the matte finish. Just my opinion, but too much shine can be gawdy.

Thanks Chris. I'm actually going to have him chop it down to a cool 6.5" LOP so I can shoot it like an M4.
Erud

Postby farmerj on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:29 pm

c.hazelton wrote:If I am not mistaken, the length of pull looks to be about 9 inches. Hope you don't get scope eye. Otherwise it looks very nice, I especially like the matte finish. Just my opinion, but too much shine can be gawdy.

That LOP will be what ever he wants it to be. Totally adjustable alone with cheek-riser.

Sweet project. Wish I had the workspace to do something like this.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby northernbird on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:50 pm

That is so awesome! cant wait to see the final pics. As a wood worker, I'm almost tempted to try something like this.. oh wait.. I dont have an action to put in it, and dont really have a place to do any really long range shooting.. dang.
northernbird

Next

Return to Long Guns