AR Info

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: AR Info

Postby goalie on Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:57 pm

mmcnx2,

I want to be clear, I am not "calling you out" and I am not claiming superior rifle skills myself. I just have a hard time believing that .33X MOA at 600 yards is doable with an AR in .223 on a consistent basis.

And I was completely sincere about the .270 pump. It is a win-win for me. If you have a pump gun that shoots like that in .270, I'll gladly pay to see it shoot sub 3/4 MOA. Plus, if you've got a pump-action .270 tuned up to shoot that well, I want to take reloading classes from you.

Speaking of reloading, if I may ask, what was your load for that .270? 130 grain bullets??? RE 15?? I have a cheapy wally-word .270 Mossberg that I picked up that shoots 1-1.5 MOA from the bench with factory ammo (federal fusion 130 grain), and I have not spent much time working up loads for it, as it has killed a half-dozen deer just fine, but I would love to shoot that thing sub MOA during deer-sight-in-season. People already ask about it as it is.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby goalie on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:01 pm

westberg wrote:Its shaping up to be a long winter, how about a MNGunTalk rifle shoot off. Winner takes home bragging rights. Open to any rifle and maybe have best shooter at a given yardage. I suspect there is some pretty good shooters on the forum and no reason to call each other out on skill or equipment. It all comes down to what can be done on a given day at the range. :lol: :lol:

Anybody.............

As it turns out, I have Tuesday off, and will likely be hitting the gun club in Mound, as I have a .50 BMG that needs a scope re-zero'd, and a .22 that needs the same.

Plus, I have not shot any handguns in a ridiculously long time.

If anyone is open, I would be up for it. Oh, and whoever that was looking for LC stamped brass, I could bring you some to try out, but, as said earlier, you may want to stick with Lapua.
goalie

Postby goalie on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:07 pm

OK, I'm gonna eat some crow. I just got off the phone with someone who would probably know what an AR platform can do, and he is of the opinion that an AR could be built to hold 1/2 MOA at 600 in .223.

In my defense, he asked who the "hard holding" SOB was who was gonna shoot it, because, as he put it, I couldn't do it with a lazer-gun!!!! God I hate being punked by army dudes......
goalie

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:16 pm

Goalie,

The 270 liked Hornady 150gr round nose bullets, don't recall the powder, Hornady doesn't appear to make the bullet any longer so I guess I'd have to work up a new recipe anyway. Like I said been 10+ years since I've reloaded it.

Interesting I recall trying a ton of bullets and being surprised the round nose yielded the best accuracy, the same load did nothing special for my brothers bolt .270. His prefered a lighter speer bullet. But as you know every rifle is different and they like what they like. The 6mm I had like round nose also, yet the 300win mag liked 190gr boat tails, which I beleive they also stopped making both of those bullets a while back.
mmcnx2

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:16 pm

Well, in reality whining about what is generally about near unobtanium LC once fired brass. Geez take a chill pill. Now your Rem shoots under and inch? vs 0.75MOA? I make observations people nothing more! Some people are full of beans. Some just like to keyboard. But, it makes no sense to spend $$$ on a gun then use once fire brass that you migh not have enough of one head stamp to make a decent lot for reloading. That is pretty much common sense! The offering up of Lapua or Nosler was good advice. The idea of Brassmanbrass.com came up after thinking about, and checking to see if Grafs had some? A few years ago they had some WCC primed with a crimped primer for sale, so I looked there and they are out of LC brass.

And I know all to well about Kreiger bbls. A guy I used to shoot with was the first AR shooter in the upper midwest to leg out with a mouse gun and a Kreiger bbl. And, I had M1A with a Kreiger that shot like a all get out! So they speak for themselves, but the one factor is the nut behind the trigger!
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby hammAR on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:32 pm

goalie wrote:In my defense, he asked who the "hard holding" SOB was who was gonna shoot it, because, as he put it, I couldn't do it with a lazer-gun!!!! God I hate being punked by army dudes......

Ouch.....

I would not so gently remind him that your little brothers, the Navy, beat the sheite out of his so called football team Saturday.... :twisted:

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby westberg on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:28 pm

This is what I spent my day on, Dawn's rifle for going to the mall. hammAR you weren't kidding about the hammer and pipe wrenches. Fitting in the JP trigger took me most of the time until I got out the maul, Rat Bastard file and high speed Dremel, once I had the metal chips flying parts started fitting. The color difference between the lower and upper is more noticeable in the pictures.

The gun is;

CY6 Lower from Territorial Gunsmiths
Territorial Upper with pencil barrel
JP fire Control Group
Ergo Grip
Ace stock
Wilson Combat oversize bolt release
Power Custom Ambi Extended Mag Release
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
DPMS Ambi Safety
Weaver 1x3 scope
JP scope mount

I went with the over size controls for Dawn to get use to where the controls are and depending how she likes them either leave or change to standard.
Attachments
DSC00839.JPG
DSC00838.JPG
DSC00838.JPG (83.39 KB) Viewed 1956 times
DSC00837.JPG
DSC00837.JPG (73.03 KB) Viewed 1954 times
westberg

Postby 1911fan on Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:53 pm

just to say. Pete Jackson who was remingtons rep here in Mn for years swore the most accurate rifle on average in the line up was the 760/7600. A completely freefloated stiff barrel and a quick lock time added up to the rifle that averaged the smallest groups in test firing.
1911fan

Postby goalie on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:53 pm

1911fan wrote:just to say. Pete Jackson who was remingtons rep here in Mn for years swore the most accurate rifle on average in the line up was the 760/7600. A completely freefloated stiff barrel and a quick lock time added up to the rifle that averaged the smallest groups in test firing.

Again, 5 consecutive five shot groups of sub .75 MOA with a stock rifle. I have a lot of money to bet against it happening.

The trigger is usually the biggest reason it won't happen. The fact that, unlike the factory, we are not Ransom Rests is another......

:mrgreen:
goalie

Postby 1911fan on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:49 pm

Pete was an old time kinda guy, who spent a lot of time making sure his dealers were happy and making sure that what sold worked.

I think this was before ransom rests, when every remington did not leave the factory without 15 rounds fired thru it. i am willing to bet that if your job was to test fire all day, you might learn how to do it fairly well. I would bet that they were pretty fair shots fairly soon.

I am not saying that they shot any size group, all I am saying is Pete said the 760 7600 line as a whole, averaged the best accuracy of all the guns in the lineup, even 40X's. I had a .308 that was a complete tack driver, I had it rebarreled and when I got it back it was far less accurate than the factory set up i had..... I
1911fan

Postby goalie on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:56 am

1911fan wrote: all I am saying is Pete said the 760 7600 line as a whole, averaged the best accuracy of all the guns in the lineup, even 40X's.

That doesn't say a lot for the 40X's I guess....

:stirthepot:
goalie

Postby SIGP240 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:17 am

I have only built 7 AR-15s, so that does not qualify me as an expert builder. However, I was advised by a pro builder that before building the AR, buy the barrel vise inserts, receiver (nylon) insert, Bolt and Upper clamp-down support, a real armorer's tool, or two, the pin punch block for the front sights and the driver and starter punches, nylon/lead faced hammer, 3/8" torque wrench, CAR stock wrench and gas tube aligment tools. So, I did. Since I am stalled out waiting for 6 months on the barrels for my Genuine Colt ARs in 9mm, I have all these tools on the ready. If somebody needed them for the 2 hours it takes to schlempp the parts into a complete gun, either come over (no smoking, sorry) or borrow them. I have an armorer's bench in a well lighted basement I'd prefer a 200$ cash deposit, if they leave the house. Honesty comes at a price. You bring 'em back for the next guy, your cash will be right where you left it next to the beer fridge. I am a straight shooter. This way, you guys in the Fellowship of the BlackRifle, whom are only building one or five black rifles can save some cash and spend the savings on something important, like a dozen magazines! Unfortunately, I have a job, so schedules will have to mesh, to make this work.
If you have a pro assembly CD, I have a laptop. Also, Brownell's can walk you through this easy task. I never had anything to go by except intuition and a parts diagram from Colt! I have a few spare parts, so if you shoot a spring into orbit, I may have a back up. I have other trick-out parts, but I am not offering them for sale at this time. A one handed blind man and his legless seeing eye dog can build an AR, if you have the right tools. I have a Megashooter membership at the BV range, and you can run down there with me as my guest and you get it broke in FOR FREE! That will save you another 14$ off the top! IMHO, this is a pretty good offer to our community.
Proudly launching lead from a Swiss P-240 at a range near you.
SIGP240

Postby hammAR on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:46 pm

goalie wrote:
1911fan wrote: all I am saying is Pete said the 760 7600 line as a whole, averaged the best accuracy of all the guns in the lineup, even 40X's.

...that is very thin ice territory.................................. :P :P :P

hammAR

Postby goalie on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:18 pm

hammAR wrote:
goalie wrote:

...that is very thin ice territory.................................. :P :P :P

I've shot a rifle built on a 40x that came damn close to winning the Wimbelton Cup at Perry. I've also shot a bunch of Remington pump-action rifles. None of those were used at Perry for any Highpower related activities.

Not that there's anything wrong with that......

goalie

Postby hammAR on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:11 pm

goalie wrote:
hammAR wrote:...that is very thin ice territory.................................. :P :P :P

I've shot a rifle built on a 40x that came damn close to winning the Wimbelton Cup at Perry. I've also shot a bunch of Remington pump-action rifles. None of those were used at Perry for any Highpower related activities.

Not that there's anything wrong with that......

I hope you understand that I was referring to the "the 760 7600 line as a whole, averaged the best accuracy of all the guns in the lineup, even 40X's"....not your comment........
I know that the Rem 40-X's are the foundation for many of the finest shooting platforms out there....

.............. :cheers:
hammAR

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns