Competative Tactical shotgun

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Competative Tactical shotgun

Postby Ghost on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:50 pm

shooter115 wrote:Fixed cyl bore makes it a deal breaker for 3-gun

I hadn't thought about that, although that too can be fixed but you start closing the gap towards the newer gun. But if anybody wants a non-competitive tactical gun it's hard to beat and shoots clays remarkably well. ;)
Ghost

Postby shooter115 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:35 pm

I started this stage by stuffing 2 in at the buzzer as well. Unfortunately a half a toe over the fault line bought be 40 seconds in procedural penalties making it by far my worst stage of the match. I went to the trap house last just because I didn't want to deal with turning around and going down those stairs with such a tight safe shooting area.
shooter115

Postby Mn01r6 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:13 pm

shooter115 wrote:I started this stage by stuffing 2 in at the buzzer as well. Unfortunately a half a toe over the fault line bought be 40 seconds in procedural penalties making it by far my worst stage of the match. I went to the trap house last just because I didn't want to deal with turning around and going down those stairs with such a tight safe shooting area.

In my stage breakdown I came up with my plan because I figured you save more time finishing in one of the bunkers rather than running past one and needing to get out of both. I also don't like the reduced 180 trying to reload on the move from right to left as a weak-hand loader, but anything is faster than DQ'ing yourself...

The bottom line is loading 2 was my only option because I only have a 10 round tube. I would have loaded 4 and shot 2 more from inside the first bunker if I had the tube space to do so.
Mn01r6

Postby Bessy on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:29 pm

Mn01r6 wrote:
shooter115 wrote:I started this stage by stuffing 2 in at the buzzer as well. Unfortunately a half a toe over the fault line bought be 40 seconds in procedural penalties making it by far my worst stage of the match. I went to the trap house last just because I didn't want to deal with turning around and going down those stairs with such a tight safe shooting area.

In my stage breakdown I came up with my plan because I figured you save more time finishing in one of the bunkers rather than running past one and needing to get out of both. I also don't like the reduced 180 trying to reload on the move from right to left as a weak-hand loader, but anything is faster than DQ'ing yourself...

The bottom line is loading 2 was my only option because I only have a 10 round tube. I would have loaded 4 and shot 2 more from inside the first bunker if I had the tube space to do so.

If you recall we had the exact same plan. The only difference was that I launched off of the top step, instead of the top of the trap house. I understand why they did the stage the way they did, but you and me and launched from basically the same spot... Just one of those things. Had they known ahead of time that the trap wasn't going to work correctly I believe they would have subbed that whole stage out with one that was less of 180/dq trap. I felt for you when you dq'd, as I think everyone there knew it was not a safety issue.

Here you can see where I took off from.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby Snowgun on Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:48 pm

LumberZach wrote:Hey guys,

Benelli - I have heard that it is hard to find M2's with the 21" barrel and that they get a little scarce at times making for an order with a benelli dealer and a long wait.

Arnzen Arms has them in stock locally quite often, in fact they have one right now. Boom!

https://secure.arnzenarms.com/product/18496
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Competative Tactical shotgun

Postby LumberZach on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:18 am

So I went down to the local gander last night looking for m2's and they didn't have a 21" or a 24". No surprises there, but they did have a youth model that I really liked. It had a 26" barrel and a real short lop that I found fantastically comfortable. You guys have an experience with that?
LumberZach

Postby shooter115 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:07 am

LumberZach wrote:So I went down to the local gander last night looking for m2's and they didn't have a 21" or a 24". No surprises there, but they did have a youth model that I really liked. It had a 26" barrel and a real short lop that I found fantastically comfortable. You guys have an experience with that?

Don't think I would want a short stock on a shotgun as you really want the shotgun to fit you. Remember you point a shotgun vs aim.........unless you're talking slugs of course. Though if I were built like a T-rex I might go for the youth stock.
shooter115

Postby Bessy on Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:09 am

M2 tactical Just popped up on enos for those of you looking... figured I'd throw it out there.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.p ... try2203778
Bessy

Postby MNGunGuy on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:28 am

LumberZach wrote:Hey guys,

I am looking for a gun to shoot 3 gun mostly, but would also let me take part in these tactical shotgun matches such as the Nordic or Forrest Lake events. I would also like to be able to use this in a HD/tactical/training class roll. I have it narrowed down between the Versa Max Tactical, and the Benelli M2 with the 21" barrel. However, I have some worries about both. Versa Max - Remington QC has been giving some mixed reviews. Most people love them, but every now and then somebody gets something wrong on theirs. Also, I understand that it is overbored and I am wondering how well it will shoot slugs. Again, most guys say it is ok, but there is that possibility that it does go wrong. Benelli - I have heard that it is hard to find M2's with the 21" barrel and that they get a little scarce at times making for an order with a benelli dealer and a long wait. I also have not seen any of these, but I have not been looking for them as much either. I would rather buy an American made gun, but I can't deny the Benelli's following. What do you guys think? What have been your experiences?

If you were looking for a semi-auto I'd take a hard look at the Stoeger M3000. Now that the patent has expired Benelli spun up another company selling inertia drive shotguns that cost literally 1/3 the price of the M2 fully 3gun ready with about 95% of the performance. The only thing I haven't seen on the Stoeger is a lightened bolt, which I'm not sure really matters as people running them can already shoot 2 3/4 dram (1145 fps) shells no problem.

If you weren't sold on inertia and were loading quads the VM 3gun would be my first choice, if loading twins (duals) the Beretta 1301. The VMs seem to have some issues every now and then but most of it seems to be from poor gunsmithing that I've seen. The port on that thing is pretty massive though and quads clear the hand guard better on it than the 1301 for me, mostly because of how deep the mag tube is on the 1301.

Really for the price it's hard to beat the Stoeger I think, especially for a first/beginner 3gun shotgun. Inertia drive reliability, easy to do port work on and the hand guard is completely flush with the receiver.
MNGunGuy

Postby Bessy on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:44 pm

Arnzen arms has got a modified m2 in the shop as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coe-er_ ... e=youtu.be,

Disclaimer, i'm friends with mark and blair...
Bessy

Postby beachbum17911 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:48 am

A stoger may be over saw by benelli, but it is made in their turkey plant in their own way. I'm new to 3 gun this year and read every article and I went with the 24" benelli m2. I did the same think as you and narrowed down between that in the versa max. I emailed back and forth between the head 2 gun guys in MN and I'm super glad I went with the m2! It has been unbelievable smooth cycling and reliable.

I went with the 24" because I still wanted to hunt birds and ducks with It and not have a dedicated race gun. We are on an amateur level and guys even use longer barrels, for me 24" made since. The 21" would work great as well, all personal preference. I worked at gander mountain for a year and played around with all the shotguns and even though Versamax had a lot of features out of the box I've heard people end up replaced the mag tube and spring so it feeds more reliably. Also found it to be kind of bulky and not come up as well. The other one you could look at is beretta 1301. Pretty nice shotgun I would probably just have the lifter done.

I would say you will not be disappointed with benelli. "Buy once cry once".
beachbum17911

Postby Bessy on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:54 pm

MNGunGuy wrote:If you were looking for a semi-auto I'd take a hard look at the Stoeger M3000. Now that the patent has expired Benelli spun up another company selling inertia drive shotguns that cost literally 1/3 the price of the M2 fully 3gun ready with about 95% of the performance. The only thing I haven't seen on the Stoeger is a lightened bolt, which I'm not sure really matters as people running them can already shoot 2 3/4 dram (1145 fps) shells no problem.

I don't think the m3000 is the holy grail folks make it out to be. Jessie T is sponsored by Stoeger, he was running an m2/m1 this year at Nordic, because his Stoegar kept going down. Just some food for thought.
Bessy

Postby LumberZach on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:36 pm

The stoeger looks like the mossberg 930 to me. It is a value option and either it works or it doesn't. I have read enough to say that I might as well get the real deal and not buy the cheap imitation. Buy once, cry once. I am pretty sold on the M2 at this point.
LumberZach

Postby Bessy on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:25 pm

LumberZach wrote:The stoeger looks like the mossberg 930 to me. It is a value option and either it works or it doesn't. I have read enough to say that I might as well get the real deal and not buy the cheap imitation. Buy once, cry once. I am pretty sold on the M2 at this point.

Bessy

Postby MNGunGuy on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:22 am

LumberZach wrote:The stoeger looks like the mossberg 930 to me. It is a value option and either it works or it doesn't. I have read enough to say that I might as well get the real deal and not buy the cheap imitation. Buy once, cry once. I am pretty sold on the M2 at this point.

Value option yes, a JM930 hell no. There's pros out there, some that even switched from M2s, that have been beating the crap out of the 3000 all year and still no report of failures outside of what could be considered normal. And if you're just getting started in 3gun/tac shotty that'll give you another 1,000+ to put towards whatever else you need to compete, like caddies which add up quick and where most time seems to gets lost (or gained).

edit: you could even take the money saved and buy a Nova for HD and/or tac shotty matches. Two guns.. BOOM. :lol:
MNGunGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns