The finish of the fugly ar pistol build

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

The finish of the fugly ar pistol build

Postby kowalzekc on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:45 am

As I am assuming you can guess, yet another AR built post.....boring I know. However the twist as you fine mn gun talkers saw, this is on a budget. I do not have a set dollar amount in mind but I will do a running total as I build.

My main items I want are:
Iron sights...might throw my cheap 4x on for kicks
Free float hand guard
A trigger that is better than what my m16 had.
Sub 2moa accuracy. (This is a work horse gun, not a tack driver. I just want to see a gun shooting safely for as cheap as possiblE

Stripped rock river arms Upper with fwd assist installed
noveske barrel, low pro gas block, gas tube, [s]3 prong muzzle device
JP spring kit
Aero precision 2nd amendment lower
Cmmg 9" keymod hand guard
Kak industries flash can
Radical melonited/chrome lined bcg
Atomic tactical lower build kit
Alg defense milspec trigger
No frills charging handle
ARMS flip up sights.
Awaiting charging handle and sights to go make bang bang.
More to come. Suggestions are always welcomed.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by kowalzekc on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
kowalzekc

Re: The start of the fugly budget ar build

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:10 am

kowalzekc wrote:As I am assuming you can guess, yet another AR built post.....boring I know. However the twist as you fine mn gun talkers saw, this is on a budget. I do not have a set dollar amount in mind but I will do a running total as I build.

Free float hand guard
A trigger that is better than what's m16 has.
Sub 2moa accuracy. (This is a work horse gun, not a tack driver. I just want to see a gun shooting safely for as cheap as possible)

Running totals so far "pre taxes"

Upper with fwd assist installed $77
16" colt 1/7 twist gov profile barrel $70
Stripped lower free

Ok, have to ask. How does one get a free stripped lower? I can do a budget build at those prices.
Holland&Holland

Postby kowalzekc on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:35 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
kowalzekc wrote:As I am assuming you can guess, yet another AR built post.....boring I know. However the twist as you fine mn gun talkers saw, this is on a budget. I do not have a set dollar amount in mind but I will do a running total as I build.

Free float hand guard
A trigger that is better than what's m16 has.
Sub 2moa accuracy. (This is a work horse gun, not a tack driver. I just want to see a gun shooting safely for as cheap as possible)

Running totals so far "pre taxes"

Upper with fwd assist installed $77
16" colt 1/7 twist gov profile barrel $70
Stripped lower free

Ok, have to ask. How does one get a free stripped lower? I can do a budget build at those prices.

The less you know.....the better. Lol. The trigger well sustained damage when a pin was being installed resulting in the usual chip missing. It is cosmetic but ugly and will be covered by a stark grip. I replaced it with a black rain lower I took on a trade. I gave it to a friend, he doesn't want it, therefore I'm getting it back. Therefore I talley it up as free.
Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals... all we know is, he's called the Stig.
kowalzekc

Postby PRS on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Arnzen Arms has the Nordic free float hand guard in for $79!
PRS

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:10 am

For iron sights I'd go with the longest sight radius possible with the 16" barrel and on a budget I think the Leapers/UTG Pro (made in the USA) slimline free float forend is the way to go. Part number MTU019SS for the 15" version - they are available at most of the usual suspects (Midway, Opticsplanet, etc..), I've grabbed a couple on eBay where the 15" runs $114 shipped (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leapers-UTG-PRO ... 0927501236 ). Easy as pie to install (no gas tube indexing required) and 3 short rail sections are included. I was a skeptic until I purchased and installed one of these, now I've got two on AR's I own and have installed 3 for other people who ordered them after seeing mine.

PSA bolt carrier + charging handle for $100: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... dle-1.html

PTAC Lower Build Kit for $100 (Blackhawk stock/grip included) - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... egory/388/

.. or the M4 style for the same price - http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... d-kit.html

... orrrrr for another $30 you can get a complete, assembled lower: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... -magazine/

Magpul MBUS sights: http://www.egoztactical.com/magpul-mbus ... /#aid=1278 (use coupon "10off" for $67.49 shipped)

So:

$114 for the rifle length forend
$100 for the bolt carrier group and charging handle
$100 for the lower build kit
$67.49 for the sights

$381.49 which puts you at $528.49

Still need a gas block/gas tube and a muzzle device of some sort depending on how your barrel is configured.
yuppiejr

Postby Randygmn on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:04 am

Budget build or not, never again will I have an AR that doesn't have a nickel boron BCG. Some things are just worth the extra money.
Randygmn

Postby kowalzekc on Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:49 am

Randygmn wrote:Budget build or not, never again will I have an AR that doesn't have a nickel boron BCG. Some things are just worth the extra money.

Just easier I clean??
kowalzekc

Postby kowalzekc on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:31 pm

My build might take a different turn. I Am debating on going to 300 blk out pistol. Any thought or recommendations?
kowalzekc

The start of the fugly budget ar build

Postby dtapper2 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:02 pm

If you are doing a .300blk pistol and want to do it on a budget, check out

http://www.classicfirearms.com

I have two of their barrels that are made by someone else. I believe it is Bear Creek Arsenal. I have a 18" heavy fluted .223 Wylde and a 7.5" .300blk barrel by them. The barrels are the least expensive I've seen and all were well in spec and worked great. I don't care what all the Tactical Timmy's on Barfcom say, they're worth the money.
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
dtapper2

Postby kowalzekc on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:52 am

I'll either do this or get a ptac barrel. Does anyone have experience with these? For $80 from psa?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... gory/3381/

dtapper2 wrote:If you are doing a .300blk pistol and want to do it on a budget, check out

http://www.classicfirearms.com

I have two of their barrels that are made by someone else. I believe it is Bear Creek Arsenal. I have a 18" heavy fluted .223 Wylde and a 7.5" .300blk barrel by them. The barrels are the least expensive I've seen and all were well in spec and worked great. I don't care what all the Tactical Timmy's on Barfcom say, they're worth the money.
kowalzekc

Postby Randygmn on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:25 pm

My go to home defense firearm is a 300blk pistol with the sig brace. Because home builds can be very finicky with this cartridge, I went and bout an AAC 9" complete pistol. Advanced armament were the folks who "legitimized" and standardized the cartridge and their stuff just works. You could build your own lower and buy their upper. If your considering 300blk, you probably don't need to be sold on their merits visit the 300blk forum if you need answers from a group of very experienced and dedicated enthusiasts.
Randygmn

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:45 pm

Bison armory sells a 6.8 SPC stainless / SPCII chambered barrel for $150, add a Stag bolt for $60 and 25 round D&H mags are $10 a pop at PSA right now. Huge manufacturer support for plinking, hunting and defensive ammo (SSA, Hornady, Federal, Remington, S&B, etc..) and the once fired brass sells for $0.30-$0.40 a pop to reloaders if you don't use it yourself which puts plinking ammo cost right behind 5.56 NATO.

I looked at .300 AAC/BO, 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC II when evaluating my first "alt caliber standard receiver AR platform firearms" and decided the 6.8 SPC provided the best combination of performance in pistol + rifle platforms in addition to manufacturer support for parts + ammo.
yuppiejr

Postby kowalzekc on Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:38 am

Well here goes a diff twist to the build. Going back to the 5.56 idea. I just scored a killer deal on a noveske barrel with low pro gas block and tube plus muzzle device. So much for budget. Lol.
kowalzekc

Re: The start of the fugly [s]budget[/s] pistol ar build

Postby kowalzekc on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:15 am

Anyone have or know where to get a lower that us either pistol designated or just says lower on it?
kowalzekc

The start of the fugly [s]budget[/s] pistol ar build

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:48 am

No, but as long as it's transferred to you by an FFL as a "receiver" and not a rifle you can make it into a pistol lower, Anderson, PSA and Bushmaster (via brownells) stripped lowers should all run less than $50.
yuppiejr

Next

Return to Long Guns