Looking for a new Trap gun.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby LumberZach on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:06 am

Like the title says, I am looking for a new gun to shoot trap with. A few months ago I was reading an article in outdoor life or something that said the best way to improve your trap scores is to buy a gun for trap rather than hunting, so damn the bad luck, it looks like I need another gun :D I have always shot >$500 hunting guns for trap but now I am looking at something a little nicer. It didn't take me long to find the Beretta A400 Xcel, but I think it would prefer something with adjust-ability in the stock such as for comb and length of pull. That somewhat brought me to the Remington 1100 competition model.

What do you guys think is something of "the" trap gun to get? What are some necessary features of higher end trap guns? I am leaning toward semi-auto so I can still do skeet and sporting clays occasionally, but I would entertain the idea of a browning bt-99 or similar single shots.
LumberZach

Re: Looking for a new Trap gun.

Postby Thunder71 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:22 pm

From experience - the article was wrong.

I was shooting 18's even 20's with my synthetic 870, nothing great but I enjoyed it. So I got cocky and bought a 'trap gun' to get me to the next level. My scores plummeted to 14, 15, 16... ended up having to add a center bead and adjustable comb, etc. just to get to where I was with the out of the box 870.

In the end, it's just a matter of what you can hit the clay with.

If you want another gun, get one - but don't expect miracles. ;)
Thunder71

Postby 870TC on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:15 pm

A trap gun that fits you will improve your scores....it will allow you to make small mistakes and get away with them. A dedicated trap gun won't cross over well to skeet or sporting clays, use your hunting gun for those games.
870TC

Postby LumberZach on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:04 pm

Surely I can make due with my hunting guns, but I am getting a little more into trap and doing a little better to the point that I want to get something specific to fit me and help my scores. This is one reason I am shying away from the A400, because it may take some more work to get it adjusted to me vs. just getting a gun with adjustable LOP and comb height from the get go. I am setting my eye more on single shot's, but I am wondering if it would make more sense to get a gun that would allow me to shoot doubles in the future. Though I have never shot doubles, or seen where they shoot them I wouldn't want to be limited by my gun.
LumberZach

Postby dtapper2 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:45 pm

I used to have a dedicated trap shotgun, times got a little tough and I sold it off. I immediately regretted doing it, but now I am happy I did. I now shoot trap with my hunting shotgun, a 24" Winchester SX2 in Shadowgrass. I have shot many rounds in the 20's with it. Some guys at the local club like to laugh at me for using such a short barrel, then I out-shoot them...

The trick is finding what is comfortable, know how it shoots and find what sight system works best for you (Brass, Fiber, mid-bead or not).

I recently picked up a new trap gun for the mother and misses, a CZ 712 with the ATI adjustable stock. It sure is ugly, but dang does it feel good when I shoulder it. All it needs is a front fiber and I'm good! CZ shotguns are inexpensive and have a generally good reputation. Definitely worth taking a look at.
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
dtapper2

Postby dupa on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:56 pm

I like my over/under. I have a browning 525 that is a factory lefty (most over unders are cast for a righty). I've been shooting trap/sporting clays and skeet with it for 10 years now. 30" barrels and has the extended choke tubes. with the reloader I don't have to worry about the light loads not ejecting and if they're not sized perfectly they won't jam up the gun. back when they were new you would pay around 2k for em.. or more depending.. but now I see the 525 has been replaced a few times (think they're up to 725) and the last used one I saw was around 1200.. not sure if that's in your wheel house.. but could be worth a look. I was shooting a BPS pump for years.. and I still use that for birds. and feel I can switch back and forth without any issues.
dupa

Postby LumberZach on Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:58 pm

I guess the problem I am running into is finding something a little more middle of the road, which is starting to lead me toward the 1100 competition model. I have used $300 guns for so long I don't feel quite justified in getting a $3,000 custom gun just yet. The 1100 does look like a very decent gun to step up my game for a while.
LumberZach

Postby dupa on Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:14 pm

it was a big jump going from my BPS to the 525... I don't shoot semi auto. but be careful.. it would appear if you get a berretta you also have to wear all the berretta gear ,so it could get more expensive.
dupa

Postby LarryFlew on Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:15 pm

Old Berreta AL2 semi for birds and Berreta O/U for the orange birds.

Have to go with what others have said - the fit is the important part. I shot well initially with my AL2 but it is a light shotgun and punished me on night we would shoot 3 rounds. The O/U has the same feel but slightly heavier and did improve my score to the point of getting (4) 25's in the same season from the 27 yard line. Shooting on a AA team we had 4-8,000 dollar Perazzi's etc and the did no better than the 2 of us who could never afford a gun like that.

On a side note doubles are a real blast so consider something other than single for sure.
Last edited by LarryFlew on Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby shooter115 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:48 pm

I've shot a 22. avg for years shooting a bone stock Winchester SXII. Though the high tapered rib on this shotgun is much better for trap shooting than a lot of field guns.
shooter115

Postby shooter115 on Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:49 pm

DT
Last edited by shooter115 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shooter115

Postby aht_six on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:19 am

A dedicated trap gun that fits you properly will improve your consistency. The action type or brand is much less important than the fit. I'm very partial to BT-99's, I bought mine used 30 years ago, and I've never found anything that worked better me.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
aht_six

Postby LumberZach on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:19 am

aht_six wrote:A dedicated trap gun that fits you properly will improve your consistency. The action type or brand is much less important than the fit. I'm very partial to BT-99's, I bought mine used 30 years ago, and I've never found anything that worked better me.

The BT-99 is looking very attractive, but I would like to keep my options open to doubles. Though that is getting harder to justify since I have never shot doubles trap.

Also I couldn't agree more with the fit issue, but that is primarily why I am trying to find a gun with an adjustable comb already installed. Modifying LOP shouldn't be too hard with shims or big recoil pads, but gluing stuff on a higher grade would stock would really make me sad. I am 6'6" so I have to believe that I have never shot a gun that has ever "fit" perfectly. If I understand how to measure it correctly, my LOP is nearly 15" so I have been making due for a long time. How should I go about finding an O/U that will fit without getting a fully adjustable, everything on it, trap gun?
LumberZach

Postby shooter115 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:11 pm

You could try getting ahold of Laib's Gunsmithing. He is pretty well known as a shotgun and fitting guru.

Everyone says fitting a shotgun makes a big difference and I'm sure they are right, I've just never taken the time to mess with it. Being average size (5'-10", 180lbs) guessing as they come out of the box is pretty close for me anyways.
shooter115

Postby Thunder71 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:13 pm

I'll add The Stock Shop as a place to definitely check out if you need some fitting done - top notch, nationally known "trapsmith".
http://thestockshop.net/

Hello & Welcome to The Stock Shop

We are always glad to see new & old friends.
Tom has over (30) thirty years of experience as a gunsmith.
We specialize in fitting the gun to the shooter.
A gun that fits great, shoots great!!
If you are looking for the BEST in gunsmithing,
Look for the BIG RED trailer & stop in & say HI.
Ask us about our SPECIAL WHITE raised comb spacers.

Tom & Ann Dee Larkin
Thunder71

Next

Return to Long Guns