Remington 700 recoil pad melting

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Remington 700 recoil pad melting

Postby cobb on Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:52 pm

I had noticed last year that the recoil pad on a Remington synthetic stock that I put on my 700 Classic in .35 Whelen was looking strange. When I took out of the safe this year to get ready for deer hunting the recoil pad stuck to the gun safe floor. It looked like it was melting, so I tried to clean it up, which didn't help much. Later taking it out of a fleece lined gun case, the recoil pad stuck to that also and had all sorts of the fleece fuzz stuck to it. Called Remington and they said they needed a s/n of the rifle before they could send a replacement pad. My problem is that I had got this stock from a custom maker to put on my 700, so I do not know the correct serial number and figured the s/n off my 700 would show a wood stock and I don't know if Remington would then warranty. So I called Limbsaver, the manufacturer of the recoil pad for Remington to see if they would warranty. Not a problem at all, Bill in Limbsaver warranty department just needed the number stamped on the inside of the recoil pad to get me the correct replacement sent out at no charge. I asked if I should have called Reminton instead and Bill said no, they got a bad batch of rubber from their supplier and it was their problem, not Remington.

So if you are have a similar issue, you can call Limbsaver @ 1-877-257-2761 to get a free replacement.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Re: Remington 700 recoil pad melting

Postby aht_six on Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:02 am

The Limbsaver pads work great, I installed one on a a-bolt .300 WSM and was so impressed with results that I installed them on 5 more rifles and shotguns. Over the next several years everyone of the pads started to melt and stick to carpet on the safe floor. Limbsaver replaced them all, no questions asked, and so far the replacement pads haven't shown any signs of melting.
NRA Benefactor Life Member
aht_six

Postby westhope on Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:10 am

Sounds like the next recoil pad I need will be a Limbsaver.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby Greg on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:03 am

I put a Limbsaver on my AR based 50 BMG and that, along with two pounds of lead shot, tamed it right down!
Diesel Boats and tube radios forever!
Greg

Postby hornswaggle on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks for the heads-up. I put a limbsaver on my 870 slug gun for padding but also to increase length of pull for a better fit. It's a nice pad and works great and I haven't noticed any issues with the rubber but I'll check.
Kevin

Treat every gun as if it was loaded, Always control the muzzle, Know your target and what is beyond it...

Either you like bacon or you're wrong....
hornswaggle

Postby stesch_s10 on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:14 pm

I had a remington 11-87 shotgun do the same thing. It would stick to the gun cabinet and stick to the sides of my soft gun case. Whenever I clean my guns I spray a cloth with rem oil and wipe the gun down, I thought maybe I put too much on the rubber end and as it sat for 7 months it ate it away... NO idea. I do know it pissed me off in the field on the warmer months of pheasant season. As I would go to pull the gun up for a shot and it would drag my shirt up because of the stickyness.

I just bought a remington 700 awhile ago and am trying to keep an eye on how much rem oil i get on it, and to see if it starts to melt as well.
stesch_s10

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:04 am

Works for Me : Try storing half of your firearms in your gun safes barrel down. Two reasons: this method allows for more firearms to fit into gun safe, AND the firearms that have to soft recoil pads are saved by eliminating gun solvents or oils draining down into them. This method also helps prevent breakdown due to weight of firearm holding pad in a compressed condition for long periods of time.

Try it, you may like it.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Tronster on Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:21 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:Works for Me : Try storing half of your firearms in your gun safes barrel down. Two reasons: this method allows for more firearms to fit into gun safe, AND the firearms that have to soft recoil pads are saved by eliminating gun solvents or oils draining down into them. This method also helps prevent breakdown due to weight of firearm holding pad in a compressed condition for long periods of time.

Try it, you may like it.

How are you securing the guns so they don't tip over or flop around into each other? How do you protect the muzzles?
I'm thinking of building a secure gun closet, and thought maybe the best way to store them is horizontally upside down (triggers pointing up).
Tronster

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:22 pm

Tronster wrote:
OldmanFCSA wrote:Works for Me : Try storing half of your firearms in your gun safes barrel down. Two reasons: this method allows for more firearms to fit into gun safe, AND the firearms that have to soft recoil pads are saved by eliminating gun solvents or oils draining down into them. This method also helps prevent breakdown due to weight of firearm holding pad in a compressed condition for long periods of time.

Try it, you may like it.

How are you securing the guns so they don't tip over or flop around into each other? How do you protect the muzzles?
I'm thinking of building a secure gun closet, and thought maybe the best way to store them is horizontally upside down (triggers pointing up).

My gun safes are carpeted such that muzzles are protected from damage.
My gun safes have rests for muzzles or stocks dependent on vertical orientation.
Alternating vertical orientation allow for more room between stocks and bolts of most rifles.
How you set up your gun safes is your option - this option works for me.
OldmanFCSA

Return to Long Guns