Not only red dot Fail but eyeball fail :(

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Not only red dot Fail but eyeball fail :(

Postby Mauser98 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:49 pm

jshuberg wrote:The result is that you see the reticle regardless of which eye your mind is favoring.

Everything you said backs up what I've learned and seen with my own experiences as well. The quote above is still the craziest part of it though. It's like you end up with a reticle etched on your non sighting eyeball that is perfectly aimed to the same target as the sighting eye.

I'm gonna have to study this phenomenon now. Do you have any good references to read?
Mauser98

Postby jshuberg on Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:07 pm

I wrote about it in more detail over on benos. This is also where I introduced the Dominance Training Aid, which is a device/technique for training to shift which eye is dominant on demand. It works pretty well.
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.p ... &p=2227071
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby unknown on Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:28 pm

So for range shooting. Probably never more than 50-100yds the 1x should be fine right? I am afraid that the 3x would mess with my brain too much shooting with both eyes open.
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Postby crbutler on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:52 pm

It really is not that much of an issue, seriously.

The "Bindon concept" is how trijicon sold their stuff to the US Army originally. It really didn't originate with him, but he named it after himself and used it as a selling point.

I use low magnification with illuminated reticle scopes hunting dangerous animals with some regularity, and you want to keep both eyes open there. The Swarovski 1-6X ones are pretty much 1X at 1, but most of the less expensive stuff is actually 1.1-1.25X. The older 1-5 or 1-4 stuff is all 1.1 or 1.25 at lower magnification.

A long eye relief 4X scope is what Jeff Cooper thought the ultimate for the scout rifle concept, and this is without an illuminated reticle. I have a Steyr set up like this, and its a straight 4X and works like advertised, although when you first use it, it is a little disconcerting to have a magnified sight picture drifting around out there.

With a long arm its not much of an issue- with a handgun, minor issues with positioning get magnified and it can be hard to pick up, but you can learn that also, as long as your eye dominance isn't too strong on the nondominant hand side (again only an issue with pistols IME).

Really, get an ACOG mounted on a AR at your local gun store (they probably will be willing to do this to get a sale with a new one- but if you are a perennial tire kicker, taking the time just to show you might not compute with how busy they are now... but if they have a used one on the shelf, just ask to look at it) and you will be surprised how natural it is.

I suppose there is a small fraction of people who are not wired such that it works, but a bunch of folks in the business have told me that pretty much anyone with binocular vision can work it.
crbutler

Postby unknown on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:41 pm

Here is where I ended.

I purchased the Vortex 1x Spitfire Prismatic sight. When I first looked at the reticle it looked like a bullseye with a hollowed center. I decided to take my contact lenses and switching to my glasses. The visual was similar. I went to my eye doctor today and brought the sight for him to help me out. He gave me a new brand o contact lenses to try out. I was able to see the reticle pretty sharp right away. My eye still takes a bout 3-4 seconds to focus and have a really crisp picture. But then again my eyes are still adjusting to a little stronger prescription.

So far I am really happy with my sight selection. The focusing ring is an amazing feature to me.

Thank you all for helping with my questions and pouring you thoughts and knowledge.
Amat Victoria Curam
unknown

Previous

Return to Long Guns