Long range shooting

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Long range shooting

Postby Ghost on Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:37 am

This is where I say I'd like to get into long range shooting in the 200-300 yard range, not

This is where I post a link to an article with video
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/06/shooter-hits-bison-target-at-2240-yards-with-iron-sights/

Cliffs notes: $99 rifle, iron sights, 4 rounds into a baby buffalo target at 2240 yards
Ghost

Long range shooting

Postby Kaveman on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Really impressive until I found out how many rounds it took.

I think one of the pumpkin chuckin' cannons might have been able to hit it given the same number of rounds and time. And that would have been even more cool.
Kaveman

Re: Long range shooting

Postby Tronster on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:06 pm

When $99 rifle was mentioned, I was thinking Mosin. A K31 is certainly accurate, but haven't been $99 in a long time, more like $400-600 depending on condition. Still cool he actually hit it!
Tronster

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:14 pm

Even under ideal conditions, hits on a target that far away are more luck than any kind of skill on the part of the shooter.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Erud on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:22 am

He hit it on his 58th shot.

Meh.

:roll:
Erud

Postby Ghost on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:26 am

Erud wrote:He hit it on his 58th shot.

Meh.

Ernest R Jimenez says:
June 11, 2015 at 7:44 pm
“Spray and pray” is inaccurate, and inaccurate for the author of this article to imply; particularly if you watched the video from the beginning, which you overlooked. We rented this range two months in advance, and obviously having no control over the weather. When we began it started raining, and continued until we were forced to stop. That accounted for approximately 25 shots. We then paused untill it stopped, then I threw 25 more. Because the dirt was wet, +80% of all shots fired were undetectable and we were using 7 VERY experienced spotters, from the shooting bench and set up at 1500 yards. In addition we used three live feed cameras set up on/near the target. The impacts into the wet dirt created an impact plume of approximately one-foot neatly impossible to spit from 1.27 miles. Not till we paused a second time, to allow the second storm to pass, did I shoot a 25 shot string with 4 hits. It began raining (Storming) again and we were forced at that time to stop. On a side-note, last thanksgiving I shot this same target under reasonable weather conditions and achieved 7 hits out of 25 shots, same rifle, same setup. By no means, was this a case of spraying and praying.
Ghost

Postby Erud on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:52 am

Ghost wrote:
Erud wrote:He hit it on his 58th shot.

Meh.

Ernest R Jimenez says:
June 11, 2015 at 7:44 pm
“Spray and pray” is inaccurate, and inaccurate for the author of this article to imply; particularly if you watched the video from the beginning, which you overlooked. We rented this range two months in advance, and obviously having no control over the weather. When we began it started raining, and continued until we were forced to stop. That accounted for approximately 25 shots. We then paused untill it stopped, then I threw 25 more. Because the dirt was wet, +80% of all shots fired were undetectable and we were using 7 VERY experienced spotters, from the shooting bench and set up at 1500 yards. In addition we used three live feed cameras set up on/near the target. The impacts into the wet dirt created an impact plume of approximately one-foot neatly impossible to spit from 1.27 miles. Not till we paused a second time, to allow the second storm to pass, did I shoot a 25 shot string with 4 hits. It began raining (Storming) again and we were forced at that time to stop. On a side-note, last thanksgiving I shot this same target under reasonable weather conditions and achieved 7 hits out of 25 shots, same rifle, same setup. By no means, was this a case of spraying and praying.

He missed his target 57 times before he hit it. I get the impression that he had enough ammo to keep trying until he got it right. He was at it all day. He had several cameras set up, as well as "7 VERY experienced spotters" to walk him onto the target.

Long range shooting can be impressive. This is not. I reiterate my earlier reply of "meh".

Just my opinion.
Erud

Postby unfitmother on Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:28 am

If you've reached the end of this thread and still have a hankering to live vicariously through someone else's extended long range shooting, check out TiborasaurusRex's shooting videos (he also has religion videos, if you're into that sort of thing). Or if you have a lot of extra time, root through the ELR section on the old Snipershide. Here is a thread about shooting 375 Cheytac at 1150+ yds http://forum.snipershide.info/showthread.php?t=235027
Semper Gumby
unfitmother

Postby yuppiejr on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:35 am

I appreciate the amount of skill, practice and investment it takes to become a proficient long range shooter. To me this looked like more of a highly controlled experiment like the sort you'd see on Mythbusters to achieve a desired result than a true marksmanship demonstration.
yuppiejr

Return to Long Guns