Inexpensive scope rings for .22?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Inexpensive scope rings for .22?

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:31 pm

I bought a BSA sweet .22 scope for my Savage Mark II. I am hoping to get some recommendations on some inexpensive, not necessarily cheap, rings to pop on the EGW picatinny rail I think I will likely need to order. The gun is mostly shot at the range, but every once in the while I decide to drag it out into the woods to point at squirrels before I decide I don't feel like cleaning a squirrel. So if the rings could take a bit of light field use that would be good.

On a side note, the amount of scope tube available is about 1/2 inch shorter than the outside measurement of the scope bases, which appears to rule out using them for mounting the new scope. I have tried my googlefoo at Offset bases and mounts, but as you would expect all I am finding are 45 degree offsets for secondary sights or RMR type deals. If any one knows of a possible solution outside of the EGW rail and new rings I would be interested to hear what they are.

Thanks!
Jack's My dog

Re: Inexpensive scope rings for .22?

Postby Sigfan220 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:11 am

For cheap rings I go with Warne or Warne QD. The basic ones are nice if you are not taking the scope on and off. They are made in the USA.

The EGW should be a picatinny, can't you just move the scope rings in to accommodate the scope? The factory Savage base should be able to mount most scopes. For rimfire I leave the EGW basses on for Savage center fire I take them off and replace with a Ken Farrell, PRI or Warne. I am liking the PRI for center feeds with an internal box mag.
Sigfan220

Postby 870TC on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:42 am

What you are asking about in the later part of your post is called an "extension ring", it allows for mounting when the scope tube length does not match with the base size or eye relief.
...Thought savage mkII's had grooved receivers for clamp on scope rings? (weaver or bushnell etc)
870TC

Postby usnret on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:03 am

There is nothing wrong with Tasco rings for your application. They are like $10.00.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Jack's My dog on Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:18 pm

Thanks for the answers everyone!
Jack's My dog

Postby shooter115 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:05 pm

I've had good luck with the Weaver quad-lock rings on a couple .22's. They are cheap and are even available as a set with one offset ring like you need.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1477183444/weaver-1-quad-lock-4x4-weaver-style-rings
shooter115

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:13 am

Sigfan220 wrote:For cheap rings I go with Warne or Warne QD. The basic ones are nice if you are not taking the scope on and off. They are made in the USA.

The EGW should be a picatinny, can't you just move the scope rings in to accommodate the scope? The factory Savage base should be able to mount most scopes. For rimfire I leave the EGW basses on for Savage center fire I take them off and replace with a Ken Farrell, PRI or Warne. I am liking the PRI for center feeds with an internal box mag.

I haven't purchased the EGW rail yet, but the solution I was considering was getting the rail to move the scope rings in closer as suggested. But I think the extension rings, now that I know there proper name, is what I am looking for, as it appears to be a simpler and more cost effective option. Thanks again for the help everyone!
Jack's My dog

Postby c.hazelton on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:58 pm

Have a look at the BKL mount. On and off dozens a time a season and repeats very well. Saves buying a rail as well.
c.hazelton

Return to Long Guns