Autopsy of a Rifle: DPMS Oracle

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Autopsy of a Rifle: DPMS Oracle

Postby shooter115 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:40 am

True that there are just a few companies that actually manufacture parts for AR's. So in a lot of cases we are not even arguing Ford vs Chevy, we are arguing Chevy vs. GMC. Same thing.....different sticker.

Over the last 15 years or so, I've built, rebuilt, reconfigured and re-purposed a crap ton of AR's and used components from just about everyone in the game. As far as small parts go, the PSA premium stuff I've seen is right along the same line of quality as DD and BCM. I've got DD and PSA LPK's at home right now and you really can't tell the difference between the two. As far as failures go, I must be some sort of exception, as far as I can remember, I've never managed to break anything on an AR and I shoot them a little. The oldest rifle in my cage has a Bushmaster lower and BCG with a DPMS High Rider upper receiver. This thing is on it's third (soon to be forth) barrel and I can't even imagine how many rounds it has through it. If I were to fathom, it would be somewhere around 20K. Never so much as replaced an extractor spring on it. This is on a varmint/target rifle so if it goes down, no big deal. If I were to use this as a primary defensive rifle I would probably elect to do some more preventative maintenance, but for now she just keeps chugging along.

IMHO, what you are buying as far as QC is concerned with what are regarded as the upper tier manufacturers (I'm going to exclude Colt here) is a step up in how the rifle is assembled and inspected once complete. They actually might give a ****, where the PSA, DPMS, Bushmaster, Colt (gasp!) and the like rifles, often seem to be assembled by employees that care more about punching a clock than they do about creating a fine rifle. A lot of "Meh, good enough" attitude would be my assertion from what I've seen.

As far as DPMS using the commercial buffer tubes.....I can only ask why?.........why does anyone use these things? Can we all just use the same parts please? For the staking on the gas key......do not pass go, do not collect $200. Gas keys coming loose is one of the most common issues I've seen that make single shot AR's.

As far as the DPMS Oracle is concerned........yea. It's a $600 out the door rifle, built to appease to the masses, that most likely won't put more than a few hundred rounds through it in it's entire life, and for that, it works......it's not gonna be the cream de la crem. Could one build a much nicer rifle with better components for the same money.....yep.

Back to the PSA debate. While the premium stuff is pretty good, but the PTAC/Freedom line is not even in the same ballpark. I recently ordered a complete rifle kit from them. This was actually the first time I'd ever bought a complete rifle kit (minus lower receiver). The reason here is I really wanted to try out the new Vortex Spitfire 1X optic and they had a deal where for $500 you got the rifle kit with the optic. This was like getting the optic for free or a complete AR for like $350. A win either way. The parts in that kit were noticeably crappy in comparison to the regular PSA parts and I'm guessing were probably imported from the ROC. It works though, ran 10 rounds through it for function test and now it will sit in the safe until the next panic and I'll send it down the road.

All that said, I look forward to further installments.
shooter115

Postby Hmac on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:12 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how much bandwidth is spent on topics like this.

But by all means, carry on.

Yeah. Because the internet is otherwise nothing but pithy, erudite, and well-reasoned discussion.

:roll: How could anybody posting in various internet discussion forum be amazed at discussions like this.
Hmac

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:44 pm

Hmac wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how much bandwidth is spent on topics like this.

Yeah. Because the internet is otherwise nothing but pithy, erudite, and well-reasoned discussion.

:roll: How could anybody posting in various internet discussion forum be amazed at discussions like this.

Seriously, the "operator" vs "recreational" AR debate is a recurring staple topic of conversation in pretty much every gun forum and dimly lit hole in the wall gun shop in the country, along with 9mm vs .45 ACP, budget optics, the relevance of a "scout rifle", M14 vs AR10, "should I use a .223 to hunt deer," etc..
yuppiejr

Postby Hmac on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:49 pm

yuppiejr wrote:
Hmac wrote:

Seriously, the "operator" vs "recreational" AR debate is a recurring staple topic of conversation in pretty much every gun forum and dimly lit hole in the wall gun shop in the country, along with 9mm vs .45 ACP, budget optics, the relevance of a "scout rifle", M14 vs AR10, "should I use a .223 to hunt deer," etc..

I daresay that emotional, poorly-reasoned arguement on the internet is hardly limited to gun forums. It is at the very core of the medium.

One doesn't have to be an "operator" to prefer a reliable, well-made firearm that is better than just "good enough" anymore than a weekend duffer might enjoy a nice set of Pings rather than some Arnold Palmer Sgnature Editions from Sears. Which also certainly would be "good enough". Right?
Hmac

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:13 pm

Hmac wrote:One doesn't have to be an "operator" to prefer a reliable, well-made firearm that is better than just "good enough" anymore than a weekend duffer might want enjoy a nice set of Pings rather than some Arnold Palmer sSgnature Editions from Sears. Which also certainly would be "good enough". Right?

If Ping is manufacturing the Arnold Palmer Signatures for Sears and I can pick them up for $400 less I'll enjoy them just the same and have plenty of money for beer and other nonsense in addition to my round of golf. Win-win.
yuppiejr

Postby Hmac on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:22 pm

yuppiejr wrote:
Hmac wrote:One doesn't have to be an "operator" to prefer a reliable, well-made firearm that is better than just "good enough" anymore than a weekend duffer might want enjoy a nice set of Pings rather than some Arnold Palmer sSgnature Editions from Sears. Which also certainly would be "good enough". Right?

If Ping is manufacturing the Arnold Palmer Signatures for Sears and I can pick them up for $400 less I'll enjoy them just the same and have plenty of money for beer and other nonsense in addition to my round of golf. Win-win.

It would indeed be a win-win. If Ping was manufacturing Arnold Palmer Series for Sears and Sears had the same quality standards as Ping. They aren't, they don't, and neither does PSA. As you know.
Hmac

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:32 pm

I'll be honest, I'd probably buy a set of PSA golf clubs if they made them. Unfortunately I don't golf, or shop at Sears... chasing little white balls around in the grass is for poodles, unless you're chasing them in the scope of your rifle a couple hundred yards away (the balls, not the poodle... though I bet there are some who'd flip that around).
yuppiejr

Postby Hmac on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:57 pm

yuppiejr wrote:I'll be honest, I'd probably buy a set of PSA golf clubs if they made them. Unfortunately I don't golf, or shop at Sears... chasing little white balls around in the grass is for poodles, unless you're chasing them in the scope of your rifle a couple hundred yards away (the balls, not the poodle... though I bet there are some who'd flip that around).
Yeah, golf doesn't do it for me either. Neither do poodles.
Hmac

Postby 2in2out on Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:27 pm

Wait a minute, I think I missed something. Do I need 5.11 underwear to be an operator?
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Ghost on Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:55 pm

2in2out wrote:Wait a minute, I think I missed something. Do I need 5.11 underwear to be an operator?

Ghost

Postby MaryB on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:35 pm

Fine your snob rifle is better than my hand built AR I spent $600 on... I only used top shelf components where they count the most, barrel and BCG... rest is just a wrapper and contributes little to failures.
MaryB

Postby Ghost on Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:55 pm

MaryB wrote:Fine your snob rifle is better than my hand built AR I spent $600 on... I only used top shelf components where they count the most, barrel and BCG... rest is just a wrapper and contributes little to failures.

Which trigger?
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:07 pm

MaryB wrote:Fine your snob rifle is better than my hand built AR I spent $600 on... I only used top shelf components where they count the most, barrel and BCG... rest is just a wrapper and contributes little to failures.

Uh huh. Glad you like your rifle.
Hmac

Postby Tronster on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:09 am

Even a fun weekend range trip can be ruined by sub-par assembly or parts, and I don't have time to deal with problem guns. There are plenty of areas to cut corners on a consumer grade AR such as:

7075 vs 6061 receivers and RE tubes.
4150 vs 4140 barrels.
Barrel linings and gas port diameter.
Barrel and bolt HPT/MPI testing.
Full vs Semi BCG profile.
Full vs cut back firing pin shroud.
Lined vs unlined BCG.
Extractor and Bolt materials.
Coated/polished vs standard trigger group.
Proper F mark front sight.
Proper gas key staking.
Quality iron sights that hold zero.
Quality of hand guards/butt stock/grip.

In the end you "spends yer monies 'n takes yer chances". I'll gladly spend a little extra over the "consumer grade" AR for potentially a lot less hassle and a more durable product, keeping in mind the spiral of diminishing returns as the price goes up.
Tronster

Postby TommyMN on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:23 am

I gotta learn how to build ars. I can't find a complete one of like without taking half of it apart or spending 2grand.
time to start reading.
TommyMN

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns