Autopsy of a Rifle: DPMS Oracle

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Autopsy of a Rifle: DPMS Oracle

Postby MaryB on Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:00 pm

DPMS stock trigger, I started with a DPMS lower that was a pull from a new rifle. I have a replacement ordered but not here yet. Have a slide fire trigger coming, 3.5 pound pull, very very smooth.

Ghost wrote:
MaryB wrote:Fine your snob rifle is better than my hand built AR I spent $600 on... I only used top shelf components where they count the most, barrel and BCG... rest is just a wrapper and contributes little to failures.

Which trigger?
MaryB

Postby TooFewGuns on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:22 pm

With Yuppie's obsession with 5.11 being operator gear, he clearly hasn't seen Triple Aught Design or the real high dollar stuff. I think the point of the Autopsy and other articles about Oracle/ Patriot level guns is that they are not worth buying. Be a wise consumer. Spend the extra money to get the better models, even if they are the still DPMS/ PSA guns. Budget guns cut corners and use cheaper materials, this is not new information. Hell, I don't even understand why S&W put out the sport model. Do they think that the dust cover and forward assist are not important?
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Postby Ron Burgundy on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:52 pm

TooFewGuns wrote: Do they think that the dust cover and forward assist are not important?

Well, are they important?
Ron Burgundy

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:54 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:
TooFewGuns wrote: Do they think that the dust cover and forward assist are not important?

Well, are they important?

I was thinking the same thing. I can't remember actually ever using the FA. Should I be?
Holland&Holland

Postby TooFewGuns on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:03 pm

If you look at the history of the gun, they were both vital. Keeping crud out of your receiver is pretty important, and the forward assist is the best way to make sure the weapon is fully in battery. Armalite added both because they were needed for proper operation.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Postby Erud on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:26 pm

Well sure, in Vietnam. The average weekend shooter who wants or needs a $700 AR can certainly live without them though. I also can't remember ever needing to use the FA on an AR.
Erud

Postby Ironbear on Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:45 pm

TooFewGuns wrote:If you look at the history of the gun, they were both vital. Keeping crud out of your receiver is pretty important, and the forward assist is the best way to make sure the weapon is fully in battery.

And in any case, I remember at least one youtube video where a couple of whacks on the forward assist were immediately followed by a kaboom! If you have to pound your AR into battery, you might want to stop, take a few breaths, and ask yourself why it won't go into battery....

TooFewGuns wrote:Armalite added both because they were needed for proper operation.

Required use of Forward Assist is neither "normal" nor "proper" operation.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby TooFewGuns on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:02 pm

I've used the forward assist many times, never had the gun go off. Usually because I was showing someone how to operate an AR for the first time and they failed to let the charging handle go, which kept the BCG from sliding all the way forward. A couple taps on the FA make sure it is in battery. Unless you finger is in the trigger guard, there shouldn't be any boom.
TooFewGuns

Postby TooFewGuns on Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:06 pm

I don't think it is improper to say that it is normal or proper to use, considering it is a feature on the gun and the use is described in the manual. ;)
TooFewGuns

Postby Hmac on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:37 pm

I think that both the dust cover and forward assist are vestigial organs that are about as useful as ... Well...teats on a boar hog.
Hmac

Postby Tronster on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:14 pm

Dust cover would be ok at keeping larger debris out, not so much with fine sand, but better than nothing.
The forward assist would be useful in ensuring the bolt is in battery if the shooter press checks the chamber.
I've also heard of hunters using it to ride the bolt forward to quietly load of they know game is nearby.

But alas, those two components along with the brass deflector add hardly any weight.
Tronster

Postby jshuberg on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:26 pm

TooFewGuns wrote:Armalite added both because they were needed for proper operation.

There was never a forward assist on an Armalite rifle. Colt had acquired both the manufacturing and patent rights long before the forward assist was added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby Tronster on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:15 pm

Regardless if the FA and DC is needed or not (but I prefer to have them), both are low stress components sourced from a handful of places, and doesn't directly relate to the quality of the materials used in the receivers/barrel/BCG/RE or the assembly QC which are all far more important.
Tronster

Postby UnaStamus on Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:47 am

Tronster wrote:Even a fun weekend range trip can be ruined by sub-par assembly or parts, and I don't have time to deal with problem guns. There are plenty of areas to cut corners on a consumer grade AR such as:

7075 vs 6061 receivers and RE tubes.
4150 vs 4140 barrels.
Barrel linings and gas port diameter.
Barrel and bolt HPT/MPI testing.
Full vs Semi BCG profile.
Full vs cut back firing pin shroud.
Lined vs unlined BCG.
Extractor and Bolt materials.
Coated/polished vs standard trigger group.
Proper F mark front sight.
Proper gas key staking.
Quality iron sights that hold zero.
Quality of hand guards/butt stock/grip.

In the end you "spends yer monies 'n takes yer chances". I'll gladly spend a little extra over the "consumer grade" AR for potentially a lot less hassle and a more durable product, keeping in mind the spiral of diminishing returns as the price goes up.

What Tronster says is exactly the point of the blog series. What are you getting for your money?

If yuppiejr thinks 5.11 is the pinnacle of the "operator" stereotype and getting that worked up about it, then I have some Crye Precision and Arc'teryx LEAF stuff that will make him shlt himself.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby TooFewGuns on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:58 am

jshuberg wrote:

There was never a forward assist on an Armalite rifle. Colt had acquired both the manufacturing and patent rights long before the forward assist was added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stand corrected, Stoner added it at Colt.
TooFewGuns

PreviousNext

Return to Long Guns