essential tools for gunsmithing/AR tinkering

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:46 pm

After having to buy a torque wrench for a scope mounting on newly acquired AR for predator hunting and my new expanded trigger guard arriving today, I think I'm going to have to take the plunge and buy some gunsmith specific tools to help me out.
So far I have on my list:
- set of roll pin starters
- set of punches
- set of hex drivers- (have some in a craftsman set, but might buy a set to keep with the rifle)
- brass/nylon hammer
- AR magwell vice block
- set of picks
- torque wrench - inch pounds -(already have it)

Any additional items I should start collecting? Any suggestions for the best place to purchase these from?

I'm hoping to not pay top dollar since I don't know that I'm going into gun smithing as a profession - just for personal use. I do understand the concept of Value vs. Cheap, so are there some items I need the top end and some I can get away with cheaper products?

Thanks for your thoughts and your knowledge.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: essential tools for gunsmithing/AR tinkering

Postby Ghost on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:56 pm

I've got one of these unopened http://www.midwayusa.com/product/210021/wheeler-engineering-delta-series-upper-receiver-vise-block-clamp-ar-15 you can have for $10 if you are interested.
Ghost

Postby JJ on Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:40 pm

If you want gunsmith quality, it'll cost ya! Brownells sources some very high quality tools, and they are prolific on gunsmith benches:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 23880.aspx
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby PhilaBOR on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:22 pm

+1 on Brownells. Bought most of the tools to build my AR's.
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations..."
PhilaBOR

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Sooooo, I have to spend $1000 to get what I need? Yikes, I was trying to tool up for no more than $100. What is the minimum I need? Can I buy tools at sears?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:57 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Sooooo, I have to spend $1000 to get what I need? Yikes, I was trying to tool up for no more than $100. What is the minimum I need? Can I buy tools at sears?

Your list is fine, I have several of the brownells punches and such, you don't need the kit. Would be nice. I have a wheeler AR kit I picked up cheap which is why I have the extra vice block.
Ghost

Postby JJ on Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:02 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Sooooo, I have to spend $1000 to get what I need? Yikes, I was trying to tool up for no more than $100. What is the minimum I need? Can I buy tools at sears?

If you want the best...

Otherwise, the list of tools included in the descriptions is a pretty good reference. Most folks have some of the stuff around already.

Brownells isn't the cheapest, but IMO they are pretty much the best.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:00 pm

NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:13 pm

No armors tool of any kind? Changing a stock or a barrel you will need one.

NcStar? I am sure it is fine for punches and such but it is NcStar. Dollar store brand in my mind.
Holland&Holland

Postby speedy396 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:35 pm

I'd also be cautious about the NcStar quality without seeing it in person. As others metioned, there's a lot of mediocre tools marked way up. Lyman sells a decent set of punches for $25 and a roll pin version for $20. I started with a set of Home Debit 3 pack of US made steel punches for $15. I use a tack hammer with tape as necessary. The Wheeler torque wrench has been quite useful and the bits have actually held up. Cabelas or Gander usually has a set of hollow ground screwdrivers on sale at Christmas.
Other items I have found useful are:
Torx bits/sockets
Allen wrenches (Bondhus are nice)
Bore sighter
Bore guides
Scope level
AR mag vise
AR wrench
Caliper

Next on my list is a generic sight pusher and barrel vise.
speedy396

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:56 am

Thanks for the additional tool suggestions. I may just assemble the tools from various sources. I'll work in the magical Brownell's tools where I can.

Thanks for your help.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby JJ on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:04 am

Certain tools are worth spending extra on. Punches and screw driver bits are places I absolutely will not cheap out on. One broken punch or bit, and the gigantic cosmetic damage that occurs is enough to justify the expense IMO.

Starrett punches are the best thing out there IMO, but the Brownells replaceable tip punches have a place on the bench as well (especially under 1/16" dia)

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... od545.aspx
http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/starrett-52586

The brownells Magnatip driver kits are top notch. i've broken more Midway bits that i can count, but the Brownells stuff is next to impossible to break:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... od417.aspx
JJ

Postby Ghost on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:15 am

A good way to learn what tools you'll need is to watch videos of assembly, but it really depends on what it is you want to do with them. I made the following assumptions.

Lower

Upper

How to build an AR15 - Brownells
https://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/
Ghost

Postby Tronster on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:38 am

Hammerhead tool for castle nuts, rifle RE tubes, and flash hiders.
Tronster

Postby igofast on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:03 am

JJ wrote:Certain tools are worth spending extra on. Punches and screw driver bits are places I absolutely will not cheap out on. One broken punch or bit, and the gigantic cosmetic damage that occurs is enough to justify the expense IMO.

The brownells Magnatip driver kits are top notch. i've broken more Midway bits that i can count, but the Brownells stuff is next to impossible to break:

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... od417.aspx

No alotta screws on an AR, but I will ditto this comment. Not only are the Magnatip's made with high quality steel, they are also spec'ed very well. When working on some cowboy action firearms - using the proper tip is absolutely necessary or you will damage the head which not only causes cosmetic issues but creates problems of ever getting that f^$@%#$ screw out. Put a kit on your Xmas or birthday list - they will serve you well.
igofast

Next

Return to Long Guns