Sig brace still worth it?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: Sig brace still worth it?

Postby Ghost on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:07 pm

Goosed, I hope I'm reading that wrong above. There are no SBR stamps for uppers. The stamps go on the lower since it is the firearm.

If you have a short barreled upper you better have a pistol lower or an SBR.
Ghost

Postby goosed on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:26 pm

Ghost wrote:Goosed, I hope I'm reading that wrong above. There are no SBR stamps for uppers. The stamps go on the lower since it is the firearm.

If you have a short barreled upper you better have a pistol lower or an SBR.

LOL you're correct... might be losing my mind
goosed

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:44 pm

Uzi story is interesting but not the same.

Anybody been charged because they owned a 16 inch complete AR and owned a short barrel not installed, not in the process of installing, just owned an unregulated part that could be for a pistol build in the future or an sbr submission?

I mean the same could be said for a guy who owns a rem 700 and also owns a hack saw.
Holland&Holland

Postby photogpat on Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:34 am

Holland&Holland wrote:Uzi story is interesting but not the same.

Anybody been charged because they owned a 16 inch complete AR and owned a short barrel not installed, not in the process of installing, just owned an unregulated part that could be for a pistol build in the future or an sbr submission?

I mean the same could be said for a guy who owns a rem 700 and also owns a hack saw.

How much justice can you afford before you're bankrupt?
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:00 am

photogpat wrote:

How much justice can you afford before you're bankrupt?

And therein lies the real problem.

But still looking for a case to be sited here. Not trying to be an ass but it seems to me that it might be one of those universily accepted truths that might not have any real evidence.
Holland&Holland

Postby goosed on Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Granted I read the case text on a Friday evening after a long tough work week and a few cocktails as well ;) but it seemed on the surface as the uzi was a complete rifle and the short barrel was never attached just offered as a suggestion that it would fit on the uzi. What makes it different from owning an AR rifle and a short barrel that fits an AR?
goosed

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:05 pm

goosed wrote:

Granted I read the case text on a Friday evening after a long tough work week and a few cocktails as well ;) but it seemed on the surface as the uzi was a complete rifle and the short barrel was never attached just offered as a suggestion that it would fit on the uzi. What makes it different from owning an AR rifle and a short barrel that fits an AR?

If I understand the case you are referencing correctly the guy was convicted of having a firearm after already being convicted of a felony. This is a far cry from an innocent person who buys a short barrel at a gun show for a future project and already owns several ARs. What I do not understand is if one owns NO ARs and buys a short barrel then you are ok because you might be building a pistol or have some parts to start your registration process but If you own existing ARs then this transforms this part to illegal status though you have done nothing else.

PLEASE POST A CASE WHERE SOMEONE WAS CHARGED WITH CONSTRUCTIVE INTENT WHEN THERE WERE NOT OTHER MITIGATING CIRCUMSTANCES AT PLAY.
Holland&Holland

Postby goosed on Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:14 pm

Holland&Holland wrote: What I do not understand is if one owns NO ARs and buys a short barrel then you are ok because you might be building a pistol or have some parts to start your registration process but If you own existing ARs then this transforms this part to illegal status though you have done nothing else.
That's the point of constructive intent/possession, you don't have to do anything wrong. The fact AR's are so modular just makes them the most likely firearm to run into issues. A savage rifle and short barrel that fits a savage could get you in the same trouble. Wasn't the first of these type of cases in relation to Thomspon Center's Contender pistol and parts to make it a rifle?

Holland&Holland wrote:PLEASE POST A CASE WHERE SOMEONE WAS CHARGED WITH CONSTRUCTIVE INTENT WHEN THERE WERE NOT OTHER MITIGATING CIRCUMSTANCES AT PLAY.
Doubt you will ever find a case without other circumstances... as ED suggested, the ATF will be there for other reasons first as barrels aren't tracked. Now that I'm in the right mind(depends who you ask) I did a quick search again and found several cases applying to our discussion such as US v Kent, but all seem to have other circumstances at play. I'm not confident innocence can be derived from not doing anything else illegal, but I'm not the ATF. If my failure to find any cases without mitigating circumstances makes you confident it's legal I guess proceed at you're own caution.
goosed

Postby CZscout on Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:33 pm

CZscout

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Wow, for $40 that's a whole lot more reasonable than the $100 or so the Braces are going for.. not to mention a lot lighter and less chunky in the trunk.

Scans of their ATF approval letter here: http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=2114
yuppiejr

Previous

Return to Long Guns