Sig brace still worth it?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby LumberZach on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:24 pm

Like the title says, is an AR pistol with a sig brace still worth dumping the money into? After the most recent ATF rulings, I'm curious as to the opinion of everyone on the board. You guys that have one, would buy it again? I'm considering putting one all together for defensive use, and I'm still figuring out what all I want to do. Is the dig brace still worth buying even being in the crosshairs of the atf?
LumberZach

Re: Sig brace still worth it?

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:20 am

I just changed mine out to a shockwave brace. Lighter and adjustable. Been debating on selling the sig or sit on it for a future build. I have the super tube and sig brace from KAK. The shockwave uses a different size tube so had to order that. Your welcome to come check both of mine to see which one would work for you. Have mine on a AR10. Been contemplating going SBR but don't want to pay the 200 dollar extortion fee and all the other BS that comes with a SBR.
Bearcatrp

Postby photogpat on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:21 am

The Shockwave Blade I ordered fit right over my Palmetto pistol tube with no issues.

The blade is far easier to "brace" against your inner arm while getting a cheek weld on the tube.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby CZscout on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:23 am

Hello,

I'm sure someone with real legal knowledge will chime in. I thought it was a big no-no to use and NFA item (SBR, suppressor etc..) in a defense situation - some extra laws apply etc... If you know for sure, please expand on this - thanks!

Brace:

I've owned and used both the Sig and Shockwave braces. My vote is 100% shockwave.

The Shockwave is much cheaper ($39 on sale), smaller, lighter, adjustable. Plus, you can purchase 2.5 Shockwave's for the price of one Sig. In my opinion, the Sig is bulky, heavy, and ugly compared to the Shockwave.

http://www.kakindustry.com/shockwave

Good luck!
CZscout

Postby LumberZach on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:35 am

CZscout wrote:Hello,

I'm sure someone with real legal knowledge will chime in. I thought it was a big no-no to use and NFA item (SBR, suppressor etc..) in a defense situation - some extra laws apply etc... If you know for sure, please expand on this - thanks!

Brace:

I've owned and used both the Sig and Shockwave braces. My vote is 100% shockwave.

The Shockwave is much cheaper ($39 on sale), smaller, lighter, adjustable. Plus, you can purchase 2.5 Shockwave's for the price of one Sig. In my opinion, the Sig is bulky, heavy, and ugly compared to the Shockwave.

Good luck!

Regardless of NFA laws with defense, when an AR pistol is legally a pistol it is covered under our carry permits technically. At least that's the way I've understood it. I'm not sure how I would conceal one, but the potential is there. Sounds like the shockwave is the ideal here. I didn't realize it was cheaper so I'm more interested now. My biggest worry was dumping $100 into a sig brace and having the atf declare them an NFA item and can't be used.
LumberZach

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:52 am

LumberZach wrote:

Brace:

Good luck!

Regardless of NFA laws with defense, when an AR pistol is legally a pistol it is covered under our carry permits technically. At least that's the way I've understood it. I'm not sure how I would conceal one, but the potential is there. Sounds like the shockwave is the ideal here. I didn't realize it was cheaper so I'm more interested now. My biggest worry was dumping $100 into a sig brace and having the atf declare them an NFA item and can't be used.

But per the latest atf ruling if you shoulder it and do not have a tax stamp you just built an unregistered sbr.
Holland&Holland

Postby Scratch on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:04 am

I bought the Sig brace... It was fine until I tried a Blade. Now I like the blade much much better.
I have a Sig brace if your interested in buying it though...
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Randygmn on Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:38 am

LumberZach wrote:

Brace:

Well, as far as the permit is concerned, it doesn't have to be concealed, at all. A sling will suffice. Or, you can buy a backpack like the 5:11 covrt shorty. The best thing about it, it can be carried, loaded, in the cabin of your car, if that's ever necessary.
Good luck!

Randygmn

Postby CZscout on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:48 am

Yep, just don't shoulder it, ever. They are pistol braces, meant for aiding in one handed pistol operation.
CZscout

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:26 pm

CZscout wrote:Yep, just don't shoulder it, ever. They are pistol braces, meant for aiding in one handed pistol operation.

So in a defensive situation you are saying you would be better with an AR pistol using one hand than a traditional pistol using 2?
Holland&Holland

Postby LumberZach on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:35 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
CZscout wrote:Yep, just don't shoulder it, ever. They are pistol braces, meant for aiding in one handed pistol operation.

So in a defensive situation you are saying you would be better with an AR pistol using one hand than a traditional pistol using 2?

From a legality standpoint, yes. The recent atf letters are pretty clear on not shouldering the brace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby CZscout on Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:40 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:

Nope, I never commented on which is better - better to have a baseball bat than nothing at all.

Maybe I should have said: Yep, just don't shoulder it, ever. They are pistol braces, meant for aiding in one or two handed pistol operation.

Either way, I lost all my firearms in an unfortunate ice fishing accident last weekend, so none of this really applies to me anyway.
CZscout

Postby andrewP on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:13 pm

LumberZach wrote:I'm not sure how I would conceal one

Soon we'll see you asking about who makes the best trench coat. :)
andrewP

Postby LumberZach on Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:11 pm

andrewP wrote:
LumberZach wrote:I'm not sure how I would conceal one

Soon we'll see you asking about who makes the best trench coat. :)

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... r-holster/

I already found a holster... Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby andrewP on Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:57 pm

LumberZach wrote:I already found a holster... Haha

Haha indeed. That thing looks ridiculous!
andrewP

Next

Return to Long Guns