AK build question

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AK build question

Postby hornswaggle on Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:12 am

I picked up a Polish underfolder parts kit from Midway and now shopping for barrel and 100% receiver. The kit is complete with matching s/n's and the parts appear to be in good shape but lots of finish wear. I'm considering keeping the 'used' look so will try to give the barrel and receiver a blued finish then buff it down but if that doesn't turn out well I would probably have it all black oxided. This is my first AK build and I don't plan on any future builds so buying a lot of expensive tools and jigs is not feasible. The one thing I'd like help with is headspacing and drilling for the barrel pin so I'm looking for a smith that could do that part for me. If the cost if reasonable I would also be interested in also having them rivet the trunnions otherwise I will probably go the air-hammer method. Does anybody have a recommendation for a shop, preferably SE Mn but could also be metro. Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!
Kevin

Treat every gun as if it was loaded, Always control the muzzle, Know your target and what is beyond it...

Either you like bacon or you're wrong....
hornswaggle

Re: AK build question

Postby TooFewGuns on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:23 pm

Atomic Tactical has AK receivers in stock, several colors and finishes. They are very knowledgeable. They are on Lyndale in Bloomington.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Postby 2in2out on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:51 pm

I was in Atomic Tactical not long ago and remember seeing AR receivers, but no AK receivers.

Do they do work on them, as well, or just retail?
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby TooFewGuns on Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:41 pm

I was in last week, they had several in the display case. I would imagine that they know a machine shop that could help with assembly.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. Milton Friedman
The only security men can have for their political liberty, consists in keeping their money in their own pockets. Lysander Spooner
TooFewGuns

Postby Doc Harvey on Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:18 pm

Schreyer Weapons Systems. 651-214-3854. Pretty stand up guy (Jordan) and he should be able to help you out.
Doc Harvey

Postby ROADGUY on Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:18 am

Stopped in Atomic a week ago inquired about the Ak receivers. They currently were not building Aks, but they were in the process of gathering the tooling & said they would be in the future. Also have Nodak as an option for receiver pretty good products & local.
ROADGUY

Postby TooFewGuns on Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:52 am

Did they still have receivers for sale?
TooFewGuns

Postby ROADGUY on Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:33 am

Yes , they did have a couple receivers in the case some pretty interesting colors as well.
ROADGUY

Return to Long Guns