Cobalt Kinetics from SHOT show

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby Scratch on Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Their B.A.M.F. rifle might make for faster mag changes. Might take some getting used to, but looks interesting and is a welcome change in the world of AR's...
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Cobalt Kinetics from SHOT show

Postby 20mm on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:13 pm

stupid idea, there is a reason pistols and every other gun doesn't drop the mag when it's empty.

hint: it's not lack of innovation.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby xd ED on Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:30 pm

20mm wrote:stupid idea, there is a reason pistols and every other gun doesn't drop the mag when it's empty.

Yeah...any gun that does something like that will never catch on...

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Scratch on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:03 am

20mm wrote:stupid idea, there is a reason pistols and every other gun doesn't drop the mag when it's empty.

I disagree.

These features would be great for competition. That's two less buttons you have to press on a reload. Not all guns are built for hunting and self defense.
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:44 am

Scratch wrote:These features would be great for competition.

That was what came to mind when I saw it. I think it's cool, doubt I'd ever pay for that but it will push the industry in a better direction.
Ghost

Postby Bitter Bastard on Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:45 am

That's pretty nifty. I hate it when reviews like this are so high level though. I'd love to see detailed pics of the mechanism and what parts are standard and what is proprietary.

Thanks for sharing.

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby mmcnx2 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:55 am

For 3 gun I get it,for any other purpose I think it would be a detriment or at least a pain. They are certainly proud of their product based on price, seems like a lot of money for a mag drop feature.
mmcnx2

Postby Erud on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:19 am

Cool. I don't shoot 3-gun, so maybe a dumb question. Do you generally just drop mags on the ground during a stage and come back for them after you are done shooting? If that's the case, I can definitely see how this would save time in that application.
Erud

Postby Scratch on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:46 am

Erud wrote:Cool. I don't shoot 3-gun, so maybe a dumb question. Do you generally just drop mags on the ground during a stage and come back for them after you are done shooting? If that's the case, I can definitely see how this would save time in that application.

Yes. The stages last just a minute or two, then after you're done shooting, and the RSO calls range clear, then the people watching you go down range to reset and tape targets, while you can pick up dropped mags, ammo, candy bars whatever....
Scratch

Postby Scratch on Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:50 am

mmcnx2 wrote:For 3 gun I get it,for any other purpose I think it would be a detriment or at least a pain. They are certainly proud of their product based on price, seems like a lot of money for a mag drop feature.

It does seem like a lot of money, but I'm hoping this feature will be copied by others in the future. They still need to work on R&D a little too. It doesn't have a standard right side mag release button yet either, which I think is needed for tactical reloads and mag problems during a match.
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:26 am

Scratch wrote:It doesn't have a standard right side mag release button yet either, which I think is needed for tactical reloads and mag problems during a match.

You hit on one of my other thoughts, if it doesn't work right it may add a whole new level of WTF to determining what's wrong.
Ghost

Postby Ironbear on Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:38 am

In 3-gun, is it typical to run mags dry? I would have though mags would be switched out at convenient transitions, not when when they are empty.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby LumberZach on Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:16 pm

Ironbear wrote:In 3-gun, is it typical to run mags dry? I would have though mags would be switched out at convenient transitions, not when when they are empty.

I'm still pretty limited in my 3 gun experience, but unless the stage specifies that sort of thing, everyone just fully loads all mags, and shoots till they are dry. I don't even think I've ever done more than one reload in a match so it usually isn't a big deal. I would think bigger matches with more complicated stages would lead to mag changes before empty, but not at my level I don't think.

Though I have been in matches where you have to clear your rifle prior to dropping it and picking up another gun, so this could complicate that if the mag release is screwy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Scratch on Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:28 pm

It does look like there is a mag release button on the left side, and they are working on adding one to the right side. I'm not saying this is the most awesome thing to have, just that in a world of "everybody-and-their-brother-makes-an-AR" ... It's nice that some new stuff is being thought of.
Scratch

Postby shooter115 on Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:14 pm

In 3gun, if a mag change is needed, you'll want to do it before the gun runs dry. If you end up changing a mag in a shooting position, your stage plan sucked or you missed a lot.
shooter115

Next

Return to Long Guns