AR10 set up or AR15 upper

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AR10 set up or AR15 upper

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:57 pm

Am I better off buying an ar10 set up in 308 or other larger caliber or picking up an upper for a AR15 lower that I have in the safe in a caliber like 6.5 Grendal or 300BLK?

Here's the deal, I picked up a complete AR15 lower pretty cheap this summer with the intension of finding an upper in 5.56 for coyote/predator hunting. About 60 days later I happened upon a deal on a complete rifle in 5.56 set up as a predator hunter at a price that worked for me, so the itch was scratched for that niche. Now I still have that lower in the safe and I am wondering if I should be looking at a higher caliber upper for that lower or if I should bite the bullet and get into an AR10 platform to get into an actual high caliber - "large game" caliber. I would like to hunt deer with it and I know that there are many who are OK using 5.56 for deer and I respect that, but I already have that rifle, so should I decide to use it, I'm fine. I just want to own another caliber in a modern sporting rifle package in a higher caliber. I understand the cost implications of full rifle vs. just and upper, but there is something appealing about having a big game caliber option. I'm not a bench or competition shooter - I don't go to the range all that often and would use the gun to hunt with - white tail deer etc.

What are your thoughts on it?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Re: AR10 set up or AR15 upper

Postby farmerj on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:06 pm

get the AR10 and that way you can have the flexibility to add any combination to either lower you care to.
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby striped1 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:25 pm

I am at the same crossroad. I am exploring a 300 Blackout upper to pair with a suppressor as well as a .308 JP with a 6.5 upper.

I like the idea of a subsonic 300BLK with a suppressor to hunt hogs in TX with so that may be first but that JP isn't far behind.
striped1

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:59 pm

I am noticing a very limited market availability for the AR10 platform. Available, but certainly nothing like the AR15 platform. As a consequence the prices appear to be much higher - certainly no deals like you see in an AR15 complete lower like the PSA "blem" specials for $149...............

if someone has a source, I would appreciate a link or a recommendation.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:52 pm

Send the lower off for engraving and form 1 it as an SBR.

Get a 7.62 suppressor and submit for stamp.

Buy a 300BLK upper 9-12" in length (you'll need to know the length for the form 1).

Now you have a suppressed SBR deer killer.

Although if you want range go with the Grendel, I use mine for deer hunting and am very happy. You really don't gain much other than cheaper ammo when going to 308 and your entry costs are much higher on AR10's.

In the end get all of the above because it's the American way.
Ghost

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:08 pm

6.5Grendel, 6.8SPC and .300BLK are all adaptable to the AR15 platform and are all more than capable of dropping Bambi. I will note that the 6.5G and 6.8 are both ballistically superior to the .300BLK at distance. 6.8SPC is actually a very exceptional caliber for hunting.

If you want a .308 AR, don't build unless you've done a lot of research and know which platform to use and which parts to buy. .308 ARs are certainly more expensive, and if you cut costs it can bite you. The Armalite AR10 rifles are by far the best value right now. Affordable, very reliable, and accurate. They are also compatible with all AR10 compatible uppers, so you can find upper receivers and receiver groups to use different calibers like 6.5 Creedmoor and .243win, etc. This eliminates a lot of compatibility issues that you get with most .308AR rifles, since most .308 platforms are proprietary to each manufacturer.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:12 am

So the most AR10-like caliber is the 6.8SPC? I'm noticing that Comercial ammo is fairly sparse. I'm not a reloader.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Hogslayer on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:39 am

yukonjasper wrote:So the most AR10-like caliber is the 6.8SPC? I'm noticing that Comercial ammo is fairly sparse. I'm not a reloader.

6.5 grendel is better then a 6.8.
Hogslayer

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:47 am

UnaStamus wrote:6.5Grendel, 6.8SPC and .300BLK are all adaptable to the AR15 platform and are all more than capable of dropping Bambi. I will note that the 6.5G and 6.8 are both ballistically superior to the .300BLK at distance. 6.8SPC is actually a very exceptional caliber for hunting.

If you want a .308 AR, don't build unless you've done a lot of research and know which platform to use and which parts to buy. .308 ARs are certainly more expensive, and if you cut costs it can bite you. The Armalite AR10 rifles are by far the best value right now. Affordable, very reliable, and accurate. They are also compatible with all AR10 compatible uppers, so you can find upper receivers and receiver groups to use different calibers like 6.5 Creedmoor and .243win, etc. This eliminates a lot of compatibility issues that you get with most .308AR rifles, since most .308 platforms are proprietary to each manufacturer.

Good points however if one sticks to the DPMS LR308 format and understands the incompatibility, it really is not any harder to build than an AR-15. While I do have 6.8 in my arsenal as well and have used it on deer, their is no doubt that moving to the .308 platform is another level of performance that one can not achieve in the AR-15 platform.
Last edited by Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:49 am

yukonjasper wrote:So the most AR10-like caliber is the 6.8SPC? I'm noticing that Comercial ammo is fairly sparse. I'm not a reloader.

Actually it is not as uncommon as you would think. Common enough that I have purchased it at Walmart. Cabela's stocks a fairly decent selection of 6.8 loads and of course on line it is readily available in about any flavor you want.

I have personally taken a deer with Federal Fusion in 6.8, performed well.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:50 am

Hogslayer wrote:

6.5 grendel is better then a 6.8.

While I agree, I believe rifle setup does come into play. By that I mean barrel length.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:45 am

So what is the minimum length of barrel for each?
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:06 am

yukonjasper wrote:So what is the minimum length of barrel for each?

I maybe shouldn't have said it as it generally turns into a a pissing match between these two.

I don't know the specifics and they are very closely matched but I had thought on the really short barrels 6.8 had an edge but at some point the ballistics advantage of the 6.5 will take over.
Ghost

Postby UnaStamus on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:41 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:
Good points however if one sticks to the DPMS LR308 format and understands the incompatibility, it really is not any harder to build than an AR-15. While I do have 6.8 in my arsenal as well and have used it on deer, their is no doubt that moving to the .308 platform is another level of performance that one can not achieve in the AR-15 platform.

True, but one has to differentiate between those rifles that use DPMS components like the barrel extension and high vs low rail height, and LR/SR magazine compatibility, and those that are actually compatible with a DPMS pattern upper receiver. Case in point, Most factory rifles like the Ruger SR-762, PWS Mk216 or LMT MWS are technically DPMS or SR-25 compatible, but they won't accept a DPMS compatible upper receiver like a DPMS LR-308 or JP PSC-12. Also things like the custom receiver sets like Mega Arms, Aero or Rainier Arms are only compatible with their own upper receivers. It's not hard to put those together, and in fact they're pretty good options for builds. Basically, it's just a matter of knowing what your rifle is compatible with. Case in point, my LMT MWS is only compatible with other LMT MWS or KAC SR-25 uppers, and that is because it was a joint build project between LMT and KAC.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:42 pm

So what I'm hearing is:
- even though the AR15 and AR10 as a platform are similar, the AR15 is more standardized and "LEGO-like" than the AR10 platform
- if you are going to an AR10 you are better off buying a complete rifle as there are many manufacturers who have designed components that either only fit their rifles or fit a small number of similarly patterned rifles from other manufacturers. Uppers are not infinitely interchangeable as they are in the majority of the AR15 world.
- Because of this, buying components - uppers and other accessories, needs more attention to detail on compatibility for the AR10 world than the AR15.
- Because of the less interchangeability - and the need for heavier construction, components (actions, barrels, complete uppers, etc.,) can be more expensive
- The 308 caliber AR10's are going to have equal performance to a small number of calibers available in the AR15 platform and superior performance to the vast majority of AR15 available calibers.
- you can get suitable medium/large game hunting calibers in the AR15 as long as you aren't looking for long range effectiveness in those heavier calibers - 150 - 200 yds would be effective range for the lager bullets.
- some of the AR15 calibers are more available and "accepted" than others, so some calibers may be limited in commercially available ammo.
- some calibers of AR15, though more effective for medium/large game, because they are not readily available on the shelf are recommended more for people who reload.

Feel free to add or correct anything here that isn't accurate.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Next

Return to Long Guns