Looking to buy 1st AR15.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Looking to buy 1st AR15.

Postby Lil' Dog on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:54 pm

I know I will get more info then I can handle, but I am looking to get into the AR game and I had a few questions. First question is does anybody own a rifle from Windham Weaponry, and why did you choose it? Next question is about the Ruger AR 556. Any reviews of it? Last question, is there a gun store that caters to AR buyers in the Twin Cities area? If I was to set a budget, I think somewhere between $800.00 to $1000.00 dollars for the gun. I know to buy the rest of the setup will be an endless pit of money.
Lil' Dog

Looking to buy 1st AR15.

Postby gaberelli on Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:29 pm

Welcome to the dark side. Lots of good "first ARs" out there. Pick up one at a good price, buy some mags and ammo and go shoot. You'll develop preferences that can be implemented with mods or future rifles. It'll become and addiction... Or you're a robot... ;)

What is your intended purpose for the rifle? Plinking? HD? Hunting?

Windham is ok but keep it closer to home with an APF Econo Carbine that comes with a Vortex red dot for under $800

http://www.apfarmory.com/apf-econo-carbine/

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.
gaberelli

Re: Looking to buy 1st AR15.

Postby cs tunes on Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:57 am

keep it closer to home with an APF Econo Carbine that comes with a Vortex red dot for under $800

I have this same rifle and it's been flawless. It hasn't been stock for some time but it hasn't run afoul with anything I've run in it yet. It'll shoot well under 1MOA with the good ammo.
cs tunes

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:55 am

Windham weaponry is the original Bushmaster. Cerberus bought Bushmaster and moved it from Maine to New York the original Bushmaster CEO stayed started Windham with all the old Bushmaster employees. I have an original bushmaster and it runs very well. If that's what you want and like you can't go wrong. You'll buy more anyway, just have to start somewhere.
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:04 am

Your choices will be many, and they will vary by quality. The consumer-grade rifles like Bushmaster, Rock River, Armalite, Wyndham, Olympic, DPMS, and a myriad of small-outfit assemblers like PSA, may very well be "good enough" to meet your needs. Then there's the next tier up, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, Colt. They are better and typically more reliable, but you may not need a rifle of that quality and at that price point.
Hmac

Looking to buy 1st AR15.

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:14 am

Colt OEM models are in your price range and then you have the fun of picking out some furniture and sights you want
gun_fan111v2

Postby atomic41 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:26 am

I won a Rock River Arms AR15 in a gun giveaway that I'm going to sell as soon as it gets here. It will be brand new, with a case and sold at a good discount from normal retail. I'm selling it to fund a different gun project, so I want to price it to sell quickly. If you want to check it out, send me a message or I'll put up an add as soon as I get it.

Otherwise, check out Aero Precision. They are making quality stuff at competitive prices.
atomic41

Postby ex-LT on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 am

Lil' Dog wrote:Last question, is there a gun store that caters to AR buyers in the Twin Cities area?

Atomic Tactical
8901 Lyndale Ave South, Suite 102
Bloomington, MN 55420
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby JJ on Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:05 am

ex-LT wrote:
Lil' Dog wrote:Last question, is there a gun store that caters to AR buyers in the Twin Cities area?

Atomic Tactical
8901 Lyndale Ave South, Suite 102
Bloomington, MN 55420

http://www.elementarms.com/
16492 149th St SE
Big Lake, MN 55309
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:31 pm

lots of options in that range. I was paralyzed for a long time trying to decide which "one" to get. Don't over think it. Decide what you are going to use it for and get one that will fill that purpose. As many have said, you will likely end up with more than one or, at a minimum, uppers that will swap out to give you broader functionality. I'm certainly no expert, but you don't have to be and don't let the pursuit and over analysis get in the way of buying one to enjoy right now.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:15 pm

yukonjasper wrote:lots of options in that range. I was paralyzed for a long time trying to decide which "one" to get. Don't over think it. Decide what you are going to use it for and get one that will fill that purpose. As many have said, you will likely end up with more than one or, at a minimum, uppers that will swap out to give you broader functionality. I'm certainly no expert, but you don't have to be and don't let the pursuit and over analysis get in the way of buying one to enjoy right now.

Yep and when you build them is when the real fun begins, stacks of polymer sets, barrels waiting to be installed trying to decide which to assemble next, adjustable gas blocks replacing standard ones, muzzle devices for suppressors, then deciding which optic, silent captured or regular spring, which BCG, which caliber next, blem lowers or tier 1 models......
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:03 pm

You can get a DPMS Oracle 308 for $750 if you want a bigger platform. But as mentioned, plenty of options in your budget range.
Bearcatrp

Postby 2in2out on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:06 pm

The APF Armory's are reasonable and quality is good, in my opinion. I think there are a lot of choices in that $800 price point, and even lower.

I haven't shot a AR556, but haven't seen a Ruger that I didn't like.

While I like Atomic, I would also recommend a couple of other stores in the metro area:

Arnzen Arms
http://arnzenarms.com
I've never been in Arnzen, but they are very highly regarded.

Southwest Arms
http://www.southwest-arms.com
Southwest Arms happens to have a social on S&W M&P AR's this month, and they are awesome people to work with. You can usually find them at MWCA gun shows, also. Very good reputation.

If you want to see an APF Armory rifle, they're made in Alexandria, MN. I know that Arnzen's is a dealer, and would probably have some models in stock.
http://www.apfarmory.com
Last edited by 2in2out on Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby speedy396 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:41 pm

Joe's had s bunch of ARs on clearance including Bushmasters, DPMS, and Windham. The prices seem more in-line with the market. Mighg be worth checking out to see a few basic ARs. Just don't get a Bushmaster Carbon 15. I started with a Bushmaster and a DPMS and never had any issues. If you are inclined you can probably assemble a PSA for under $600. I've got my eye on one of the SWFA Seekins upper/billet lower combo which I think could be completed easily for under $900. Good luck!
speedy396

Postby speedy396 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:48 pm

Also +1 on Atomic Tatical. Good guys!
speedy396

Next

Return to Long Guns