22lr lever guns

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

22lr lever guns

Postby JJ on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:40 pm

After years of playing only with center fire rifles, the youngins in our hunting group coming up have me yearning for an addition from my past. I spent the good majority of my youth with a 10/22, but cherished the few 39A's, 9422's and gallery guns I got to handle. Now I am starting to look for one, and my oh my have the prices gone up!

The Henry rifles are fairly prolific, and probably the easiest to find and the least expensive. Gallery guns are impossible to find in good condition, and 39A/9422's are even sporadic on used shelves and sale sights.

Any thoughts on the Henry offerings? Or know where a guy can find a decent 39A without breaking the bank?
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Re: 22lr lever guns

Postby benny on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:19 pm

It will be very expensive to buy a 39A or a 94 as you have seen, I have shot a few Henry's and love them. If it were me I would buy a Henry. I have one Marlin Golden 39A in mint condition, been offered $650 or an AR in trade but I refuse to sell that one.

Benny
benny

Postby shooter115 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:12 pm

Love my 39M. Was my very first real gun. Got it as a Christmas present when I was about 7. It's still in immaculate condition and one of my most cherished material possessions.
shooter115

Postby Currahee on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:48 am

Wife loves her Browning BL-22. It is more expensive but will be something you will never give up and can hand down through the generations. Perfect size for a "smaller" person and the 30 degree throw is nice too. Worth every penny. ;)

Currahee

Postby Randygmn on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:39 pm

For those that are interested in nutnfancy, he just put out this 30 minute video today:
http://youtu.be/TDBzBYwe6MU

Outside of getting my daughter started out during the shortage two years ago (what a nightmare) I've never had any usage for this caliber. Fighting just to buy a box or two, here and there for her left a really bad taste in my mouth. She quickly graduated to "combat" cartridges, thank God.

Until recently, I haven't really had any interest in anything that wasn't black and didn't have rails with detachable mags. But the idea of an original, old lever gun has me curious to give one a try. I'll see this summer if I can resist, lol.
Randygmn

Postby Snakeman721 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:20 am

I've been enamored with lever actions since I was a kid watching Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and every other Western that flooded TV back in the late 60's. I bought a Winchester 9422 magnum on my 18th bithday and never looked back. Quality gun that will last several lifetimes. Since then, I've acquired several more through Gunbroker in the $500-$800 range depending on wear. :D
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Return to Long Guns