New AR15 needs sights

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

New AR15 needs sights

Postby Scooter on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:10 pm

I picked up a Stag M3 dirt cheep but it comes with no sights I'm looking getting some inexpensive backup iron sights. Front sight is gas block height rail so no polymers. I've seen some very low price UGT & NcStar brands. Does anyone have experience with these? Or can recommend another. Or even some old sights you have for sale.

Thanks
Scooter

Re: New AR15 needs sights

Postby UnaStamus on Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:43 pm

Buying the cheap stuff from NC Star or UTG could potentially end in heartache since they have very poor quality control. There is a high probability of the sights being out of spec or really janky quality.

Take off your top handguard (if you have one) and lay the rifle upside down on a flat surface on the upper receiver. Make sure that the upper receiver is flat on the surface and then look at the front gas block rail. If the front gas block rail is also flat to the surface, you have a same-plane front gas block rail. If there is a gap, you do not have a same-plane gas block rail. There are sights for each separate application.

For metal sights, look into Midwest Industries, Troy or Magpul MBUS Pro.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

New AR15 needs sights

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:21 pm

Regret every cheap sight I've purchased, Matech is my favorite rear iron https://armalite.com/shop/matech-rear-adjustable-sight/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yuppiejr

Re: New AR15 needs sights

Postby Scooter on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:41 pm

Thanks for the info, I was kinda leery of the cheapest ones, & yes the gas block is about 1/4 inch shorter than the top rail.

A board member PM'd me with a takeoff iron front sight & I will be picking that up soon, the rear can be polymer so I have a lot more options there.

Looking forward to taking it out & zero in soon.
Scooter

Return to Long Guns