AR-triggers

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AR-triggers

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:26 pm

What kind of triggers do folks prefer to run in their ARs? Particularly for prairie poodle or accuracy work?

Thinking of trying a 2 stage. Thoughts?
Holland&Holland

Re: AR-triggers

Postby hammAR on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:51 pm

Elftmann or Geissele.............. :cogitating:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby george on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:05 pm

The Chip McCormick Super Match is my favorite of what I have but it's also the most expensive of what I have. I do notice the price has dropped
since I got mine. Mine has no creep or anything to anticipate, It jest goes off at around three pounds pressure. You can't really have any second thoughts
with it when you start applying pressure. I see they say it has been improved but I wouldn't have any idea how.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/977681/chip-mccormick-super-match-trigger-group-ar-15-small-pin-154-curved-single-stage-matte
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby igofast on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:06 pm

I have a Jewell 2 stage that is awesome, but a royal pain to install/tune.

I have a couple Hiperfire single stage triggers that are great - especially with 7.62(39 and 51) milsurp hard primers due to the heavy hammer fall(but light trigger due to some engineering).

There are a number of 'cartridge' single and 2 stage triggers out, certainly the easiest to install and not get anything wrong - plus they are pre-tuned to whatever spec they decide. I got a couple 'cheap' ones and they have a very short reset and light ~4 lb release - hammer fall is too light for the previously mentioned hard primers and not 100% reliable with .22 conversions either, but no problems with any .223/5.56 I've put thru it so far.

I wouldn't steer you away from anything in the $100+ range, obviously the more you spend the more you get.
igofast

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Was thinking the Timney 2 stage. 2 lb 1st, 2lb 2nd.
Holland&Holland

Postby shooter115 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:31 pm

Best trigger for what you want to do is the Jard adjustable single stage.http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/ar-15-ar-custom-trigger-kit-prod1466.aspx

For 3 gun and tactical applications my preference is JP.
shooter115

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:39 pm

shooter115 wrote:Best trigger for what you want to do is the Jard adjustable single stage.http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/ar-15-ar-custom-trigger-kit-prod1466.aspx

For 3 gun and tactical applications my preference is JP.

Why not a 2 stage? I get a single stage for 3gun and tactical, but when one is settling in for accuracy at the bench or over a p-dog... I have a 2 stage in my .220 swift bolt gun and love that I can bring it right up to the edge, settle in and break the shot.
Holland&Holland

Postby shooter115 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:30 pm

Personal preference, and I'm not a big fan of 2-stage triggers. Why would you want a 1st stage at 2 lbs then a break at 2 lbs, when you can have a trigger that just breaks at 2 lbs? Mine actually comes in at a little less than that. The only situation I can think of where I would want or recommend a two stage trigger is for high power competition where you are required to have a 4.5lb minimal trigger pull or if someone with no mechanical ability and on a tight budget wanted to improve their AR trigger. In that case I'd just tell them to go buy a RR 2 stage.

I've used or fondled just about every trigger on the market. If I had my heart set on a 2-stage trigger it would be the AR Gold by ATC. Jewell's can be nice, but they don't like to stay in adjustment. I've fought with them in both mine and my dad's rifles and they both eventually went down the road to be someone else's headache.

Most of the pre-set self contained triggers are decent, but inconsistent. The first 2 might feel pretty good then you'll get third that's "meh" at best.

Still on the fence about the Hyperfire triggers. I've felt one that was excellent and one that was not impressive.
shooter115

Postby Ivan45 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:01 am

I'm very happy with the RRA two stage match trigger that came on my R3. JP springs made it extra nice.
Ivan45

Postby cs tunes on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:21 am

I don't think that I've ever heard anyone that bought a Geissele say to themselves afterwards, gosh I wish I wouldn't have done that. Both of mine have Geissele and I cant think of a single reason to mess around with anything else.
cs tunes

Postby Ghost on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:37 am

cs tunes wrote:I don't think that I've ever heard anyone that bought a Geissele say to themselves afterwards, gosh I wish I wouldn't have done that. Both of mine have Geissele and I cant think of a single reason to mess around with anything else.

I have. I've got hi speed national match and hi speed DMR triggers that I will eventually replace with LaRue MBT's. I've got three MBT's now and they are the best trigger I've used and will eventually replace the Geisselle's. You can't go wrong with the LaRue for $125.
Ghost

Postby Hmac on Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:25 am

Geissele SSA or ALG. I have both, always been an SSA kind of guy, but at about 1/3 the price, the ALG ACT trigger is really a good buy.

I also hear very good things about the Hyperfire triggers...Dave Timm reviewed it about 6 months ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2KtEdqw6jg.
Hmac

Postby shooter115 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Ghost wrote:
cs tunes wrote:I don't think that I've ever heard anyone that bought a Geissele say to themselves afterwards, gosh I wish I wouldn't have done that. Both of mine have Geissele and I cant think of a single reason to mess around with anything else.

I have. I've got hi speed national match and hi speed DMR triggers that I will eventually replace with LaRue MBT's. I've got three MBT's now and they are the best trigger I've used and will eventually replace the Geisselle's. You can't go wrong with the LaRue for $125.

Me too. The Geissele SD3G is a horrible trigger IMHO, but a lot of people bought them for a while, because they had 3gun in the name and some sponsored shooters touted them. Today very few run them.
shooter115

Postby Vlad on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:03 pm

I have a Jard and like it a lot. I don't have a lot of experience with other high end AR triggers so cannot compare but that is my two pennies worth..
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:43 pm

Vlad wrote:I have a Jard and like it a lot. I don't have a lot of experience with other high end AR triggers so cannot compare but that is my two pennies worth..

Always good to hear 2 cents from you.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Long Guns