UTG Pro SS hand guard problem

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Re: UTG Pro SS hand guard problem

Postby patrick on Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:36 pm

I cut the barrel nut off.The upper is not "tweaked".All screws line up and tighten properly.I forgot how strong my big mits are.The barrel is flexing,but so is the hand guard.I bridged the gap with one of my Aimpoints and it is much better.That's okay as I have always felt that my optics are too far back any way.I will contact UTG about it and see what they have to say.Maybe some bad ones got out.I know they had a problem with the screws in the past.They would break upon removal.They have since taken care of that.I'll get it figured out.As far as the barrel nut it is just good and tight.I went and bought a BEV block yesterday so I'll get it properly torqued soon.But it is tight enough that it shouldn't be moving.
I live in Bloomington Mn!!!!
patrick

Postby Hmac on Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:47 pm

If you can see your barrel "flexing", you have bigger problems than your handguard.
Hmac

Postby shooter115 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:30 pm

Hmac wrote:If you can see your barrel "flexing", you have bigger problems than your handguard.

Actually an M4 contour barrel flexes quite easily. Heck even the MK12 barrel flexes with minimal pressure. Don't believe me?.......Take your rifle out and support your barrel on a rest and keep the rest of the weapon unsupported, except for the stock. Bet ya it shoots a couple inches high. Now put a little downward pressure on your handguard. Your group will quickly be printing a foot or more high.
shooter115

Postby Hmac on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:08 pm

shooter115 wrote:
Hmac wrote:If you can see your barrel "flexing", you have bigger problems than your handguard.

Actually an M4 contour barrel flexes quite easily. Heck even the MK12 barrel flexes with minimal pressure. Don't believe me?.......Take your rifle out and support your barrel on a rest and keep the rest of the weapon unsupported, except for the stock. Bet ya it shoots a couple inches high. Now put a little downward pressure on your handguard. Your group will quickly be printing a foot or more high.

Yes, I believe you. This is well known. But Patrick can actually see his barrel flexing with just hand pressure.
Hmac

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Hmac wrote:
shooter115 wrote:

Yes, I believe you. This is well known. But Patrick can actually see his barrel flexing with just hand pressure.

This. Yes they flex. But if you feel movement between your upper and your barrel, you have an issue.
Holland&Holland

Postby shooter115 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:46 pm

Hmac wrote:
shooter115 wrote:

So can anyone else with a lighter profile barrel. This is really easy with 16" barrels and 15" handguards. Thumb and forefinger are all that's needed. I've got a lightweight rifle I use for shorter range bay style matches with a Voodoo 16.5" Ultralight barrel that's super easy to flex, yet still shoots sub MOA cool and opens up to about 1.5 MOA after a full mag dump.
shooter115

Postby bigscoop on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:53 pm

I just put a UTG ss pro on a 308 build .It's a very tight fit over the barrel nut without being screwed down and with the anti rotation tabs I can't see how it could move at all if everything else is in good shape. I only have 100 rounds through it so far so maybe i'll have to replace it someday.
bigscoop

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:58 pm

I have installed a number of the US made UTG slim forends and none demonstrated the issue you described...

Did you torque the barrel nut using the included socket wrench via the slots specified in the instructions? If so, is there any play between barrel and receiver without the tube installed? Assuming so, did you slide the forend all the way on so the anti rotation tabs engage the upper receiver, there should be no space between the rails in the receiver and the rail unless you had to use the alignment shim rings? Even without the Allen head screws installed the tube and upper should be tightly aligned and not wobble . Post some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yuppiejr

Postby yuppiejr on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:03 pm

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=242275

Pics of the forend correctly installed in a Colt rifle, no wobble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yuppiejr

Previous

Return to Long Guns