UTG Pro SS hand guard problem

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

UTG Pro SS hand guard problem

Postby patrick on Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:59 pm

When I install it it wobbles really bad.What am I missing?Holes are lined up.Screws go in...I don't get it.Or is this a common problem with these things?
I live in Bloomington Mn!!!!
patrick

Re: UTG Pro SS hand guard problem

Postby MnHornet on Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:13 pm

Sorry to say this, but UTG is pretty low end stuff.
You may want to spend more money for a better brand.
ALG, Yankee hill, Midwest industries.
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Postby patrick on Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:39 pm

I realize that but the Pro stuff is supposed to be good.I've heard several people who's opinion I respect say that they are very good.That's why I bought it.
patrick

Postby Hmac on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:11 pm

patrick wrote:I realize that but the Pro stuff is supposed to be good.I've heard several people who's opinion I respect say that they are very good.That's why I bought it.

Uh...no. UTG is pretty well-known for being at the low end of the scale for AR15 parts.
Hmac

Postby patrick on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:02 pm

Well I keep reading about all the problems people are having with the slim hand guards that cost more money.MI,Samson,etc etc.The best luck I've had so far is with the MI two piece quad rails.Bulky.Heavy.But 100% rock solid.Maybe I'll hunt down one of those.When I save some cash and get something that lacks in quality...okay.But when I pay top dollar and it sucks...well then I'm just plain angry. :evil:
patrick

Postby Hmac on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:18 pm

patrick wrote:Well I keep reading about all the problems people are having with the slim hand guards that cost more money.MI,Samson,etc etc.The best luck I've had so far is with the MI two piece quad rails.Bulky.Heavy.But 100% rock solid.Maybe I'll hunt down one of those.When I save some cash and get something that lacks in quality...okay.But when I pay top dollar and it sucks...well then I'm just plain angry. :evil:

I see those UTG rails for $100. That's not top dollar. You paid consumer-grade prices and got consumer grade quality. A good quality slim/lightweight rail in either KeyMod or M-Lok (BCM, Geissele, MI, Daniel Defense, Noveske) will cost about twice as much.
Hmac

Postby Randygmn on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:18 pm

The new Midwest industries slim offerings are top of the industry.
Randygmn

Postby shooter115 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:18 pm

Hmac wrote:
patrick wrote:I realize that but the Pro stuff is supposed to be good.I've heard several people who's opinion I respect say that they are very good.That's why I bought it.

Uh...no. UTG is pretty well-known for being at the low end of the scale for AR15 parts.

I've actually heard good things about them too, but I've never seen one first hand. They are supposedly made in the US as opposed to most their imported from China junk.
shooter115

Postby patrick on Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:28 pm

Yeah I don't know.If mine is an example...uuuh.I'll play with it.Maybe I got a lemon and UTG can send me a new one?If I bridge the gap between the hand guard and receiver with something (carry handle whatever) it's okay.But without it it is very wobbly.Very disappointed.I really like it.I'll contact UTG and see what they say.If nothing else they can give me my money back and I'll buy a MI two piece.
patrick

Postby Bitter Bastard on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:03 pm

I just built a gun last week with the utg and it worked fine. Can you post pictures?

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby patrick on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:18 pm

I guess I'd have to post a video to show you what's going on.Now this was installed on a Colt LE6920 upper that I couldn't get the barrel nut off of.So maybe there is a problem with the upper?I got creative and got it off.But maybe the hand guard would work better with a different upper.I don't know.I had a huge hand guard problem on my last build.Seems hand guards have the poorest quality control/specifications of all AR parts.Have any of these companies heard of mil spec?
patrick

Postby patrick on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:37 pm

I tried to get pictures to properly show the problem to no avail.Suffice it to say that it is unacceptable.Now I know some of the flex is in the barrel,but the wobble is extreme.I have other free floated uppers and none of them are that bad.Maybe the Colt barrel flexes more than others?I thought Colt was like "Top tier".
patrick

Postby Hmac on Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:40 am

patrick wrote:I tried to get pictures to properly show the problem to no avail.Suffice it to say that it is unacceptable.Now I know some of the flex is in the barrel,but the wobble is extreme.I have other free floated uppers and none of them are that bad.Maybe the Colt barrel flexes more than others?I thought Colt was like "Top tier".

Colt is top tier, but UTG most certainly is not. I'd be more suspicious of the UTG component. I've built many rifles, never have had a problem with handguards. Admittedly, I've never bought stuff from UTG though.

Barrel flex causing handguard wobble? On a 6920? I doubt it. I'd love to see that on a video. I'm curious about how you "got creative". How did you secure the receiver? It is tweaked now?
Last edited by Hmac on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hmac

Postby Bitter Bastard on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:02 am

Let's take it one step at a time. Is the barrel nut torqued properly? Does it move at all? If it is solid, are the slots aligned properly so the screws that interface the rail at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock? Do they screw in far enough to tighten down, or are they maybe too long? At what point in the assembly process does it get wobbly?

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:28 am

patrick wrote:I tried to get pictures to properly show the problem to no avail.Suffice it to say that it is unacceptable.Now I know some of the flex is in the barrel,but the wobble is extreme.I have other free floated uppers and none of them are that bad.Maybe the Colt barrel flexes more than others?I thought Colt was like "Top tier".

There should be no flex on your barrel. Here is your problem.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Long Guns