AR-15 barrel torque best practices

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

AR-15 barrel torque best practices

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:53 pm

Ok, so the common torque spec that I have always adhered to for AR barrels has been the 35-80. And of course there is the use anti seize tighten and back off tighten and back off tighten and back off tighten to line up the teeth for the gas tube to fit through. I have always assumed the range is so large in order to accommodate the tube. But what are thoughts on the best amount of torque? Better to be near the top of the range, the middle, or the lower? Any experiences with over torqued or under torqued barrels?

The reason I am asking is that my latest build I am using a barrel nut, that for the first time for me has no teeth to line up so I can torque to whatever I want for a change.
Holland&Holland

Re: AR-15 barrel torque best practices

Postby Ghost on Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:59 pm

I use the same method, using grease instead of anti-sieze, torque the last time to 35 then line up the gas tube hole or teeth. I've had some where I've been at the high end or exceeded it to get things lined up properly. As long as you have 35, you should be good to go.
Ghost

Postby shooter115 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:55 pm

I shoot for the upper edge of the torque spec.
shooter115

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:20 pm

Ghost wrote:I use the same method, using grease instead of anti-sieze, torque the last time to 35 then line up the gas tube hole or teeth. I've had some where I've been at the high end or exceeded it to get things lined up properly. As long as you have 35, you should be good to go.

Ditto.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby striped1 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:49 pm

Shoot for the upper end. I shim the barrel for the tightest possible fit. Freeze the barrel and heat the receiver to get it to fit. Use the grease and then torque to 70-75. This should result in the least amount of thermal shift / wander as the barrel heats up.
striped1

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:09 am

What I'm going to say may be heresy to some, but here goes.

Barrel nut torque isn't that critical.

That's the reason they give you such a broad torque range. Less than 30 ft/lbs and you run the risk of the barrel nut vibrating loose. Tighter than 80 and you run the risk of deforming the upper receiver, or buggering up the threads.

And make sure you apply some Magic Pixie Dust to the threads. ;)
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Scratch on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:51 am

I need to get some more pixie dust... My supply is just about gone. If you find a good local source for it, let me know.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Ghost on Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:55 am

Scratch wrote:I need to get some more pixie dust... My supply is just about gone. If you find a good local source for it, let me know.

Here
Pixie dust source
Ghost

Postby Sigfan220 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:20 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:What I'm going to say may be heresy to some, but here goes.

Barrel nut torque isn't that critical.

That's the reason they give you such a broad torque range. Less than 30 ft/lbs and you run the risk of the barrel nut vibrating loose. Tighter than 80 and you run the risk of deforming the upper receiver, or buggering up the threads.

And make sure you apply some Magic Pixie Dust to the threads. ;)

I agree. Everything has a torque spec, even oil filters. Do you use a torque wench when changing oil, no. I don't even use a torque wrench anymore on AR's. With some hand guards you are more concerned with alignment than torque anyway, some are a pain to get to work. Nice an snug seems to work fine.
Sigfan220

Postby Ghost on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:26 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:I agree. Everything has a torque spec, even oil filters. Do you use a torque wench when changing oil, no. I don't even use a torque wrench anymore on AR's. With some hand guards you are more concerned with alignment than torque anyway, some are a pain to get to work. Nice an snug seems to work fine.

You should pay attention to the minimum torque spec so that you achieve proper clamping force.

Use German torque for things that don't matter, gutentight.
Ghost

Return to Long Guns