GOT MY STAMPS!!!! 2 SBRs. One is finished.

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby Machine on Sat May 14, 2016 9:19 pm

Took about 3 months give or take. Used a trust from 199 trust (recommend) and e-filed. Filed for a Mini-Draco pistol and an Atomic M-15 (AR-15) receiver. Haven't touched the AR yet, as that will be a expensive machine (piston 10.5in). But the AK is done, just had to order the stock.

Specs:

2014 Mini Draco Pistol
Receiver is fitted with a 1.5 in 4 slot picatinny rail that is fixed by a single bolt and also bonded to the receiver with 3m Bonding epoxy (hardcore stuff).
Stock is a Sig Sauer MCX/MPX light folder. It fits beautifully on the rail and folds like it was designed for this gun. I love how it came out.
Front rail system is a heavily modified UTG M70 Yugo rail. It utilizes the factory "hotdog bun" mounting point as well as the barrel/gastube clamp. The front sight was cut off and reshaped to clear the rail.
Rear cover is a TExas weapons systems railed dust cover. It has a Chinese knock-off trigicon sight. It is too big (wide) and I feel like I'm probably going to change it. I have a Sightmark on my Mini-14 that I really like, I may get another for this thing (the one on my Mini has a laser and will not fit).
For 922r compliance it has a ALG AKT trigger kit. The trigger pull is fantastic compared to stock, but the trigger group does not work properly with the Draco bolt carrier. I am going to contact ALG about a solution before I machine off any metal. The bolt carrier contacts the right side of the the trigger sear. Comparing it to the original draco one, it has a relief cut to clear the bolt carrier.
Rear grip is some thing I got off Amazon a ways back, I do not remember what it is. The front grip is a Magpul MOE. I would have preferred it an inch or so back, but it would interfere with the magazine.

I plan to cerekote it. Might just do a solid black. But I am considering Burnt Bronze, Crimson, possibly a dark blue color. The AR is white.

Need to sort the trigger before I go shoot it. Maybe this week. I'll post up a range report first thing.
Attachments
SBR 5.jpg
SBR 4.jpg
SBR 3.jpg
SBR 2.jpg
SBR 1.jpg
Machine

Re: GOT MY STAMPS!!!! 2 SBRs. One is finished.

Postby nhluke on Sat May 14, 2016 9:43 pm

Cool! I'm happy to hear of the wait times too. I "need" to get a couple items engraved and put some cans in suppressor jail.
nhluke

Postby Machine on Sun May 15, 2016 8:14 am

I wanted to get an osprey 45 before the new rules go into effect, but money is tight. Hopefully they will eventually be removed from the class 2 or whatever it is someday.
Last edited by Machine on Sun May 15, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Machine

Postby Bitter Bastard on Sun May 15, 2016 9:36 am

Machine wrote:Engraving is only necessary to sell the SBR.

Once SBR'ed, the maker, which is your trust name in this case, city and state must be engraved. The regs are pretty clear on this. If you have a cite that says otherwise I'd be happy to be educated...

Bitter Bastard
Bitter Bastard

Postby Machine on Sun May 15, 2016 11:51 am

Indeed you are correct. I have since removed the stock and foregrip and dismantled the rifle completely. I'll drop it off for engraving tomorrow.

I got some misinformation but found an ATF letter explaining that all existing markings are legit except the name.

Thanks
Machine

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun May 15, 2016 12:27 pm

I would like to SBR my "pistol" but just can't see paying 200 friggin bucks for something that shouldn't need to be done. Extortion is what it is. Would be happy to fill out the same paperwork as you do when buying an AR. Hoping the bill introduced to exempt suppressors gets passed. Yours looks great. Lucky you didn't get popped at some range for not engraving. Could have been an expensive fine.
Bearcatrp

Postby Machine on Sun May 15, 2016 12:40 pm

Upon further research, as a "maker or manufacturer" I technically have 7 days to get mark it after building. So it will get dropped off at Atomic tomorrow. Which sucks cuz it will probably be a week or more to get that done.
Machine

Postby Ghost on Sun May 15, 2016 6:13 pm

Machine wrote:Upon further research, as a "maker or manufacturer" I technically have 7 days to get mark it after building. So it will get dropped off at Atomic tomorrow. Which sucks cuz it will probably be a week or more to get that done.

Please edit your post above so that people don't get the wrong information.
Ghost

Postby nhluke on Fri May 20, 2016 10:54 pm

A local shop told me the wait time for cans is around 8 months now. I dont know for myself, but thats what im expecting.
nhluke

Postby Hmac on Sun May 22, 2016 6:26 am

Machine wrote:Upon further research, as a "maker or manufacturer" I technically have 7 days to get mark it after building. So it will get dropped off at Atomic tomorrow. Which sucks cuz it will probably be a week or more to get that done.

That's a new one on me. I don't think it's correct. AFAIK, if you have a SBR in your possession, it has to have a transfer stamp and meet the legal requirements, which means engrave name/city/state. No grace period that I'm aware of, but I'd be interested in your source.
Hmac

Postby Machine on Sun May 22, 2016 8:21 am

Regardless, it is in the possession of a class 3 NFA dealer for engraving. Might get some Cerekote soon as well.
Machine

Postby gaberelli on Sun May 22, 2016 10:45 am

Many claim engraving is only required upon sale. Much like an 80% lower.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/0 ... m-1ed-sbr/

Heinous typos thanks to autocorrect.
gaberelli

Postby Machine on Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:36 pm

Engraved! Taking it out on Thursday.

Some better pictures, all cleaned up. And some shots of it with an AFG and the rear mount.

Machine

Postby Machine on Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:40 am

This thing is more or less finished. Time to move on to the Ar-15 SBR build.

First time using duracoat. Used the Aerosol kit in Combat Gray and I'm very happy with how it turned.

Stripped the receiver of whatever black gunk it was coated with, came off with little effort. Wire wheeled some tricky spots and sanded everything with 380 grit. Anodized parts were scuffed with 600grit. Cleaned everything with generous amounts of 3m Brake cleaner and then wiped everything down with automotive paint prep. Hung in the garage and Sprayed.

The can-in-can aerosol worked very well and sprayed smooth. It comes with an extra spray button which was nice as it clogged mid second coat. Everything got 3 coat, top part of rail ended up getting 5 as it had some wierd spots that were hard to get.

I let it hang for two days and then sit for 1 week before reassembly. Got back together with no scratches but I'm going to wait a month before I take it out to the range.

Overall I'm very happy for a total cost of about $60 (including all the brake cleaner I bought)

Machine

Return to Long Guns