Benelli R1 looking for information

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Benelli R1 looking for information

Postby moondog on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:55 pm

delete
Last edited by moondog on Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moondog

Re: Benelli R1 looking for information

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:48 am

The best price you'll find on these new is about 900 bucks, but the 300WSM is not a popular chambering for this rifle. But if you like the caliber and intend to keep it, I would consider anything under 750 to be a pretty good deal. And at 600 you would never have a problem selling it at a profit.
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:27 am

Are you certain it is in .300 WSM and not .300 win mag?

I have been following these for awhile and have never seen them in WSM. Accuracy report seem to be mixed. Better than some other semis but not bolt gun accurate. I just wish they had a stainless version. That in the .338 chambering would be an awesome Alaska gun. Moose or brown bear.
Holland&Holland

Postby moondog on Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:36 pm

I was provided a photo of the box label. Photo wasn't great but caliber listed sure looked to be 300WSM, not 3000WIN. My brother in law has a 300WSM and thinks it's great but I know the 300WIN has been around a long time and is far more popular. I would expect the rifle to have more value in the better known 300WIN caliber am I wrong?
moondog

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:00 pm

moondog wrote:I was provided a photo of the box label. Photo wasn't great but caliber listed sure looked to be 300WSM, not 3000WIN. My brother in law has a 300WSM and thinks it's great but I know the 300WIN has been around a long time and is far more popular. I would expect the rifle to have more value in the better known 300WIN caliber am I wrong?

Either are fine caliber's and I would not think that would limit your value. I just thought they only had ever offered them in .270, .30-06, .300 Win, and now recently in .338 but they may have done some in WSM chambering's.
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:20 pm

According to the Benelli web site, it is made in .30-06, .300 win and .338 win mags.

Makes sense as those are all standard length action rounds, as is the .270.

The .300 WSM would require some reengineering as it is a even larger bolt face and a short action cartridge. I would not get an auto in .300 WSM as I would be concerned about feeding. They tend to have issues in the bolt guns, much less something as finicky as a auto loader.
crbutler

Postby moondog on Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:37 pm

Glad I put this out there for input from people much more knowledgeable than me! I have more investigating to do before I make a deal. Thanks everyone!!
moondog

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:26 pm

Here's something to consider though- Benelli doesn't put out crap. They have among the highest standards for reliability I've ever seen. I've had 3 Benelli shotguns and bought one for my dad. Among all of them, I have only had one single malfunction in my SuperBlackEagle that I bought in 2000, and I think it was ammo related and not the gun. I have two relatives with Benellis and they have never had an issue. These guns just run. If you ever had a problem, Benelli would rectify it without question.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:30 pm

UnaStamus wrote:Here's something to consider though- Benelli doesn't put out crap. They have among the highest standards for reliability I've ever seen. I've had 3 Benelli shotguns and bought one for my dad. Among all of them, I have only had one single malfunction in my SuperBlackEagle that I bought in 2000, and I think it was ammo related and not the gun. I have two relatives with Benellis and they have never had an issue. These guns just run. If you ever had a problem, Benelli would rectify it without question.

SBE is one heck of a shotgun for sure. It is my go to as well. That is part of why I have had a R1 on my list since they came out. Accuracy seems to be hunting good but not as good as the Browning BAR. Browning is supposed to be 1 MOA, R1s seem to be 1.5-2.5 if you believe what one reads on line. If they came out with a stainless model in .338 I would be all over it. It would make for a heck of a tough semi-auto hunting rig.
Holland&Holland

Return to Long Guns