Store with the best selection of AR-15's??

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:02 pm

As I mentioned in another post, if the RNC throws Trump off the ticket, or perhaps the Republicans cave and accept Obama's choice for SCOTUS, then I think there's a chance that Sandy Hook II could occur before the election. While I have a plain old AR-15, it's a 40 year old Colt SP1 safe queen, and the trigger sucks worse than Monica....

As such, I am looking to acquire a complete AR-15 for around $1,000, and I would like your opinion(s) on the local store(s) in Minnesota with the best selection of AR-15's within a one hour drive one way of the TC metro.

Secondly, if you have an AR-15 that was about a grand and you STILL like it, and feel it's a good gun with a better than average trigger, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Thank you for your informed opinion!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:01 pm

Arnzen has a nice selection but I mostly ogle Daniel Defense that are over your set budget.

I recently bought a Colt OEM2 on the Internet for about $800 but it still needed furniture and sights so I went over $1000 but not too far.
gun_fan111v2

Postby LumberZach on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:01 pm

Most AR's don't come with good triggers. Especially not for $1,000. Rock River is the exception to this as they do have a pretty good trigger in most if not all of their factory rifles. All that said, good triggers can be fairly cheap and all can be installed very easily. I know that southwest arms in savage has a nice Rock river for about your price range, and they have a few other rifles that will probably work real well for you. I don't know of many shops that have several Rick rivers rifles. That said, most AR-15's have pretty much gotten to the same standard as long as the rifle has the features you are looking for. If you aren't sure, most basic rifles on the shelf will treat you really well until you decide what you prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:15 pm

gun_fan111v2

Re: Store with the best selection of AR-15's??

Postby Doc Harvey on Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:08 am

John at Southwest has some good deals on FN's, Colts and Ruger AR's.
Doc Harvey

Postby Sigfan220 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:15 am

Seismic Sam wrote:As I mentioned in another post, if the RNC throws Trump off the ticket, or perhaps the Republicans cave and accept Obama's choice for SCOTUS, then I think there's a chance that Sandy Hook II could occur before the election. While I have a plain old AR-15, it's a 40 year old Colt SP1 safe queen, and the trigger sucks worse than Monica....

As such, I am looking to acquire a complete AR-15 for around $1,000, and I would like your opinion(s) on the local store(s) in Minnesota with the best selection of AR-15's within a one hour drive one way of the TC metro.

Secondly, if you have an AR-15 that was about a grand and you STILL like it, and feel it's a good gun with a better than average trigger, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Thank you for your informed opinion!!

I think most triggers on guns less than $1000 are going to suck. It all depends on what you think is good. Some people are happy with slightly better than mil spec. I run Hyperfire triggers on everything. They are made locally and great triggers. I have a few at the shop if you want to try them. I'm also a dealer should you need one.

For the AR this is still a good time to buy. I wouldn't wait any longer though.
Sigfan220

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:30 am

My brother just picked up a S&W AR 15 for under $700 at gander that was on sale. I know where you can get a DPMS Oracle 7.62 for $750 new but you will have to have it shipped to an FFL. Better get one soon before the panic kicks in once folks think queen bitch is going to win.
Bearcatrp

Postby Uffdaphil on Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:53 am

If I could only have one affordable quality AR, I would go the Colt 6920 OEM 1 or 2 route. As others have said stock mil-spec triggers are usually not so hot. Any gunshop can install a better one in 15 minutes. An ALG ACT for an inexpensive good aftermarket milspec and lots of other options for great triggers in the $150 - 250 range. ( love my SD-C and SSA series Geisseles) With Magpul furniture total cost is not much over a grand and simple to swap out if you later decide to upgrade to a rail. Colt has the best QC in the business, but they do stack the OK'd parts in a bin so you may have tiny blems not found in higher buck boutique guns.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby jdege on Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:39 am

Someplace that might be worth a stop by:

http://www.atomictactical.com/about-contact/
jdege

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:28 pm

Not the answer you are looking for, I know, but build. If you can RTFM you can build. As others have said, if you want a nicer trigger you are not likely to have that at your price point unless you do build.

Like reloading, you will not save any money building, you will just do more of it for the same amount. I assume you have heard the one about the guy who found a roll pin on his gun room floor?
Holland&Holland

Postby Pat on Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Bill's in Robbinsdale has a huge selection of AR's right now. I just picked up a Colt with Magpul furniture for just under $1000. The trigger sucks, but am having my gunsmith replace it with a Timeny trigger.
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby Motoman on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:39 pm

I have a selection at my store, with many under $1000.00.

Arsenal Arms
624 Central Ave.
Osseo, MN 55369
763-515-2878
http://arsenalarmsgroup.com/
Mike

Osseo, MN 07/02 FFL & SOT
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor Pistol/Shotgun
MN/FL/WI/AZ Permit to Carry Instructor
Motoman

Postby 2in2out on Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:48 pm

The Ruger DI rifles are a good deal. I think Runnings (it's a farm and fleet store) in Austin just had them on sale for something like $650.

The APF (Alex Pro Firearms) rifles are made in Minnesota and are also an extremely good deal. I know that Arnzen and Ahlman's are dealers for APF, but the list is growing with Capra's Runnings and a few others.

Like others have said, now is a good time to buy - about as good as it's going to get.
"...the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..." ---Frederick Douglass
2in2out

Postby Squib Joe on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Bill's has the Alex Pro Econo Carbine with Vortex Strikefire optic for 739.00 this month
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:42 pm

Back wall at Arnzen did not have as many choices as usual today...
gun_fan111v2

Next

Return to Long Guns