IWI X95 owners?

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

IWI X95 owners?

Postby patrick on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:57 pm

Wondering who owns them and what you think of it.I didn't really like how the original Tavor was set up and the X95 addresses the issues.Might decide to take the leap.
I live in Bloomington Mn!!!!
patrick

Re: IWI X95 owners?

Postby Randygmn on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:16 am

patrick wrote:Wondering who owns them and what you think of it.I didn't really like how the original Tavor was set up and the X95 addresses the issues.Might decide to take the leap.

Check out some accuracy reviews, fwiw, first.

I waited on a tavor until 300blk conversions came out. Still waiting. But in that time, I discovered some of the issues that I'm sure you did too (mag release, rails, trigger, etc). Those issues were remedied with the X95, but still no 300blk conversion.

Now that the accuracy issues have been reported, it's more of the wait and see for me. But I really want a tavor/x95, for many reasons, including supporting IWI. Have also considered a Galil pistol to form 1.
Randygmn

Postby patrick on Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:45 pm

What I've been hearing is 2-3 MOA @ 100 yards.My old eyes won't shoot any better than that with anything unless I have one hell of a big scope on it.I'm mainly interested in HD.I'd do an SBR but I refuse to jump through all the hoops to do it.Besides with an SBR you loose too much velocity and accuracy.I'll have to do some more searches.Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.
I live in Bloomington Mn!!!!
patrick

Postby Randygmn on Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:57 am

patrick wrote:What I've been hearing is 2-3 MOA @ 100 yards.My old eyes won't shoot any better than that with anything unless I have one hell of a big scope on it.I'm mainly interested in HD.I'd do an SBR but I refuse to jump through all the hoops to do it.Besides with an SBR you loose too much velocity and accuracy.I'll have to do some more searches.Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

2-3 MOA is OPTIMISTIC. There are some very real accuracy problems. I didn't want to spell it out so you would instead research it yourself. There are quite a few reputable reviewers who are getting 4-5 MOA.
Randygmn

Postby Peter W Ostman on Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:16 pm

I have an X95 and not at all satisfied with the accuracy. Does anyone know if IWI is doing anything for owners, like replacing barrels. I mean, it must be a barrel problem, right? Also, has anyone experience with the 9mm drop-in kit? Does that fix the inaccuracy of the weapon?
Peter W Ostman

Postby Scratch on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:39 pm

I REALLY wanted to like the Tavor. I shot one and an X95, but for some reason... It really hurts my cheek. I don't think it's the fault of the gun though. I also REALLY wanted a PSL but they also hurts my cheek. I must have horrible bone structure or something...

I guess I'm glad to hear they have issues... Then it doesn't make me want one as bad as I do.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby UnaStamus on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:46 pm

I have heard that the barrel not being free-floated (besides gas piston assembly) is causing issues. There is contact at the front of the barrel with the frame/handguard of the rifle, and this is jacking up harmonics.
I would suspect that IWI might be working on it, as it may become a deal-breaker and hurt their business. If they don't I doubt there would be anything actionable on the part of the owners since there is no guarantee of accuracy with the X95. I suspect that the response would be that you're buying a combat rifle and not a precision rifle. I mean, they'll probably do the right thing and come up with a solution, but as a matter of perspective, they aren't necessarily duping anyone. US Army requirements mandate that an M4 with M855 must shoot 4MOA to pass accuracy standards. The limited accuracy isn't unreasonable, but it is, by most opinions, unacceptable.
Not trying to piss in anyone's Cheerios, just offering a different perspective.

Unless IWI really did make a bonehead mistake, in which case, WTF IWI?!?
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby Squib Joe on Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:15 am

If you can wait ... Desert Tech tells me this Winter they will be shipping MDRs, which they also claim will have sub-MOA accuracy

I would take both claims with a grain of salt but we can only hope
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby UnaStamus on Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:13 am

The MDR is sub-MOA. They have the barrel, gas piston system and receiver finalized. For those that have pre-ordered, the estimated date is likely November/December. I would not expect one before February though to take into account build times. For anyone who is not in on one yet, it's gonna be a longer wait.
UnaStamus

Postby goosed on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:19 pm

I ain't giving up my spot on the waiting list, but I don't have high hopes for the MDR coming out this year. Originally slated for release in what, spring 2015(?)... It's been just a quarter or 2 away several times already. I'm not yet convinced this deadline is any different
goosed

Postby UnaStamus on Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm expecting Q1 or Q2 2017. As long as I get it by next summer, I'm okay with it.
UnaStamus

Postby Peter W Ostman on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:04 pm

What is the normal 223 Rem. head space? I put together an empty casing and a loose bullet then allowed the bolt to close on them to full battery position. The ejected cartridge measured 2.488 inches. Then I measured the maximum OAL that would fit in the magazine and it was 2.240. The difference is 0.248 inch, or about 1/4in. That seems like a lot of space, but I have no other 223 cal. to measure it against.
Peter W Ostman

IWI X95 owners?

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Peter W Ostman wrote:What is the normal 223 Rem. head space? I put together an empty casing and a loose bullet then allowed the bolt to close on them to full battery position. The ejected cartridge measured 2.488 inches. Then I measured the maximum OAL that would fit in the magazine and it was 2.240. The difference is 0.248 inch, or about 1/4in. That seems like a lot of space, but I have no other 223 cal. to measure it against.

SAAMI specs read to me like it head spaces on the shoulder and allows for plenty of OAL for different bullet profiles.
Then again you guys know I am not a ballistics expert :)
Last edited by gun_fan111v2 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gun_fan111v2

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:24 pm

Hornady 10 shows Max COL as 2.260" which should fit any SAMMI Spec Magazine. If the 2.488" is not a typo, you have one helluva long throat in that gun. I'm taking it from your post this is a Semi-Auto?

Have you attempted to use a cleaning rod and a projectile to measure for actual OAL of your gun? This will have to be done for each different bullet style, if you use different brands/weights/styles of bullet (projectile).
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Peter W Ostman on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:40 pm

The X95 is semi-auto. The functional OAL can't be longer than will fit in the magazine. I'm trying not to remove the barrel to do the cleaning rod test. I was hoping to find someone who has a AR in .223 and has also tried a empty, sized casing with a loose bullet, any bullet, and measured the difference between absolute OAL and SAAMI's 2.260in. If you've never tried it, remember to lube the bullet well otherwise it will stick in chamber and you will extract only the casing.

The issue is the accuracy of the Tavor X95. Well, maybe this explains it(?).
Peter W Ostman

Next

Return to Long Guns