Need M1 Garand firing pin and a little gunsmithing

Discussion of rifles, shotguns, and muzzleloaders

Need M1 Garand firing pin and a little gunsmithing

Postby Greg on Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:16 pm

I've got a nearly new M1 that I've had for at least 20 years and not fired. I recently discovered that the firing pin is rusted inside the bolt. I'll need a new firing pin and a bit of gun-smithing help to remove the old pin without hurting the bolt.

I could use some help with that, I'm willing to pay for the smithing and, of course the firing pin.

Thanks,

Greg
Diesel Boats and tube radios forever!
Greg

Re: Need M1 Garand firing pin and a little gunsmithing

Postby onebohemian on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:31 am

Greg,

At the end of this detail strip tutorial, the guy shows how to disassemble the bolt using the M10 tool.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-strip

I think the tool came in the cleaning kits that fit into the butt of the rifle. Doesn't appear to be too difficult of a job. Just requires some patience and care as the springs are likely to cause pieces to eject a bit quicker than expected.

I am curious why you think the firing pin is rusted into the bolt? Did the gun get put away wet years ago? If you get her apart and everything is just dirty, give the old parts a great cleaning, including inside the bolt where the pin slides, and reassemble.

Good luck,
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby Greg on Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:41 pm

onebohemian wrote:Greg,

At the end of this detail strip tutorial, the guy shows how to disassemble the bolt using the M10 tool.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-strip

I think the tool came in the cleaning kits that fit into the butt of the rifle. Doesn't appear to be too difficult of a job. Just requires some patience and care as the springs are likely to cause pieces to eject a bit quicker than expected.

I am curious why you think the firing pin is rusted into the bolt? Did the gun get put away wet years ago? If you get her apart and everything is just dirty, give the old parts a great cleaning, including inside the bolt where the pin slides, and reassemble.

Good luck,

It's a bit worse than that unfortunately. I can get the bolt out of the rifle and disassemble most of the bolt but the firing pin is firmly rusted in place, not a trace of rust on the rest of the gun. I've tried penetrating oil and a punch and can't get the pin to budge. I'll need a new pin but I don't want to hurt the bolt on this pristine rifle.
Greg

Postby farmerj on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:17 am

Are you actually able to remove the extractor?
We reap what we sow. In our case, we have sown our government.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:19 am

If the pin won't budge after taking the extractor out and soaking it in penetrating oil, you are going to need a new bolt.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Sprouticus on Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:40 am

Most likely this is not the original bolt anyway.

Garands had their parts swapped and been rebuilt a few times throughout their history.

If you are going to swap bolts you will need to buy or borrow head space gauges.

Here a list of bolts and their heat lot codes if you want to try and get one that matches up to your serial number.
http://myplace.frontier.com/~aleccorapinski/id12.html

Their are a few places to look for M1 bolts.
ebay,
ammo garand
http://www.ammogarand.com/m1gapabo.html

You could look through the sale page on the CMP forums (or use their WTB thread)
http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87
Sprouticus

Postby farmerj on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:03 am

I had a neat trick I was going to share, but the level of, you need to understand the context will be lost in most and it will just result in a pissin' match.

It's a captured firing pin. If you don't remove the extractor, no amount of effort will allow you to remove it.

I guess I'm curious, does the pin even free float in the bolt like it's supposed to.?
Current moon phase
farmerj

Location: The edge of the universe in the vertex of time on the space continuum of confusion

Postby Greg on Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:56 pm

farmerj wrote:I had a neat trick I was going to share, but the level of, you need to understand the context will be lost in most and it will just result in a pissin' match.

It's a captured firing pin. If you don't remove the extractor, no amount of effort will allow you to remove it.

I guess I'm curious, does the pin even free float in the bolt like it's supposed to.?

I've removed the extractor and ejector with no problem but the firing pin is stuck solid with a bit less than 1/8 inch sticking out of the back of the bolt.

I've got it soaking in penetrating oil but haven't been able to budge it yet.
Greg

Postby farmerj on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:02 pm

At this point I'd stand it up on a couple of steel supports and using a brass drift and a small ball peen hammer, try and tap on the firing pin tang you see on the backside.

Don't go playing all wack-a-mole on it. But give it some effort.
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby Greg on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:35 pm

farmerj wrote:At this point I'd stand it up on a couple of steel supports and using a brass drift and a small ball peen hammer, try and tap on the firing pin tang you see on the backside.

Don't go playing all wack-a-mole on it. But give it some effort.

Thanks, that's my next move.

The rifle was built in 1952, about the first month of resumed production (4203xxx) and the bolt is late WWII, so this one has been arsenal refinished at some point, since it looks new but with no stock cartouches.
Last edited by Greg on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Postby farmerj on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:37 pm

Do you reload for this thing?
Current moon phase
farmerj

Postby Greg on Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:40 pm

farmerj wrote:Do you reload for this thing?

No, since I never fired this one since it was close to new arsenal rebuilt. It just sat in the safe for 20 years. There is not a trace of rust anywhere else, including on the rest of the bolt. It's a mystery.
Greg

Postby Greg on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:08 pm

Success!

I managed to drive the firing pin out of the bolt with out hurting the bolt and the firing pin channel cleaned up just fine.

The firing pin has quite a bit of pitting on about 60% of it's length toward the rear of the pin. It should work fine as is but I'd like to replace it to be safe.

Does anybody have a spare firing pin they'd like to sell me?
Attachments
Garand firing pin 2.jpg
Garand firing pin 1.jpg
Greg

Postby farmerj on Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:17 pm

Current moon phase
farmerj

Return to Long Guns